Exercise is everything

swissie

20 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Im never taking meds. Let things be.

Wonderful! Seems your Longevity Thru Obesity plan is on track, heh. I dunno why you're inquiring about the Snake Diet over in the Body and Fitness forum. 'Course, I wasn't replying to you anyway, but maybe more fun can be had here.

You see, the OP claims that exercise doesn't affect longevity and therefore exercise is pointless. Our TVF Longevity Researchers have of course chimed in with their usual scientific evidence, such as "it's me genes" etc. We just had another claim of "it's me fate," that is, Fate decreed one of our "good" members would have a "bad" wife and "bad" job and those in turn forced our helpless member not to eat a healthy diet or exercise and end up, prematurely, with gout, diabetes, rotting teeth, cognitive decline, depression (only to be remedied via a Thai prostitute), etc.

Now that was a very valuable heads-up to our Fate Believers. Why? For some reason, our Fate Believers still want to try to thwart Fate. It's like our Genetics Voodoo Believers keep trying to interfere with the sacred Operations of the Voodoo. I don't get it. Why? Why see any docs at all or take any meds? Let the Voodoo do its job, the sooner the better!

Yet quite a few studies show that exercise does affect health and that, in turn, one's health probably does affect one's longevity. We ignore those, of course, but still: claims of good health on the part of older people who do nothing on their way to becoming centenarians, or just enjoy that wonderful short but happy life, is quite on topic and lovely to hear. Our usual Elbow Bending song has been sung a couple of times. Hee.

As continually attested in these Excuses for Diet and Exercise Avoidance topics, quite a number of posters are themselves counting on The George Burns Hail Mary, The Guys, The Relative, etc. to ensure they needn't bother with diet and exercise. But since we know talk's cheap on the 'net, such posters would take great comfort if you'd merely give all your stats, age, height, weight, biomarkers (BP, RHR, PHDL, TG, HbAic, FPG, etc.) and your non-diet and non-exercise program (minutes per week/intensity) to show how you've achieved your inspiring and enviable med-free status.

Edited by BigStar

On 7/21/2021 at 5:39 PM, Tanomazu said:

Exercise is mindnumbingly boring though, you have to admit. I mean how tedious to run on a treadmill like a hamster, or even to go jogging in the same places time and time and time again. To say nothing of weightlifting, 3 or 4 sets of the same over and over and over and over again. Of course I excercise, we all have to do it, but boy is it tedious.

Of course dieting is even worse, to deprive yourself delicious ice-cream or other things that you would enjoy. Is there anything less joyous than a bodybuilder's diet? Just awful.

Or to go full on nutcracker and go vegan or some such.  How boring are Vegetarian's diet. Horrible. You can take things too far.

Oh, you only know what you've superficially read on the usual diet and fitness sites or in MuscleMags selling plans, subscriptions, apps, books, consultations, supplements, meals, equipment, dreams of looking like Arnold, etc. I did that decades ago, but then I wised up.

Takes a lot of time and digging to get through all that salesmanship. A ton of money is behind it. As someone said on Twitter recently, can "we state how little we have to do once we spent 10,000 hours figuring it out?"

In short, all those sets & reps and regular steady state cardio is completely unnecessary for fitness. You probably don't know what fitness is, so I'll copy from a previous post somewhere:

. . . the goal is to achieve sustainable fitness with health for the least amount of time and effort spent. WOT? So what’s the purpose of that fitness then? Well, nobody ever lists better posing or even "muscle mass" as a target benefit, sorry. Here it is. First, there's Top 10 Benefits of Physical Activity. Exercise is that physical activity designed to enhance fitness in the 5 standard areas of

• body composition,
  • cardiorespiratory endurance,
  • flexibility,
  • muscular endurance, and
  • muscular strength.

By how much then? Enough so that you can handle confidently the challenges you may expect to encounter above your own resting threshold.

I don't like exercising per se, as I always have something else to do I find more interesting. I prioritize efficiency.

So you can be quite fit by doing only an hour a week of intense resistance exercise and no traditional cardio, or say 20 min of intervals a week. Only @tropo understands this, but I think he's tired of posting about fitness (who can blame him?). It's not boring because of the concentration it requires, along with balls. However, listening to music or watching videos always helps a lot for most exercise.

A low carb diet and intermittent fasting takes care of the body fat issue and sugar cravings. Takes a couple of months to get used to the method and then you're good.

In sum, almost anyone can be lean & fit with short intense workouts once or twice a week, with balanced strength, confident movement, no counting weight or reps, plenty of rest w/ time for mobility training, no downtime, no real goals beyond maintaining the goodness (Why We Don’t Need Goals), no warmups, no worries about “gainz,” trivial investment; and, what with low carb as well, no counting calories, no hunger, no weight yo-yos--and, most importantly, good numbers across the board year after year. No meds, man. What’s not to like? 

We've seen that you must figure things out for yourself, so carry on with starve 'n' sweat long as you can. ????

As the OP, I can't say that I am surprised as of the way this thread has turned out. 1000 recipies of how to live a longer and healthier life. Fuelled by a Billion Dollar Industry, advising us how to "live longer and healthier". We may not get older or healthier by their advice. But they are surely getting richer by telling us "how to live a longer and heathier life".

In the end, we all end up as "Stardust". Some exit earlier, some later. I find, that what we do (or not do) in this discustingly short life is the only thing that matters. 500 years from now, nobody will be intersted what we ate or how we lived. Nor will anyone be intereseted how long and how healthy we lived. Life is for the living. The dead have their own Problems. Like: Not being alive no more, for example.

• Thanks 1

WAIT, please.

The OP has stated this:  Looking at the Rabbit/Turtle/Churchill situation, I am tempted to conclude that the "Exercise-Thing" is overrated and the "Gene-Thing" is underrated.

But, I am not sure if he understands the Nature Nurture debate.

Please understand that the expression of genes which one inherits is INFLUENCED by many factors, such as environment.

So, it is false to draw the conclusion that there is a clear separation of nature and nurture.

Genes are turned on and off according to environmental influences..  And so, there is no clear distinction as it seems you were stating.

In other words, exercise can influence gene expression.

I hope you are not confused.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BigStar said:

Wonderful! Seems your Longevity Thru Obesity plan is on track, heh. I dunno why you're inquiring about the Snake Diet over in the Body and Fitness forum. 'Course, I wasn't replying to you anyway, but maybe more fun can be had here.

You see, the OP claims that exercise doesn't affect longevity and therefore exercise is pointless. Our TVF Longevity Researchers have of course chimed in with their usual scientific evidence, such as "it's me genes" etc. We just had another claim of "it's me fate," that is, Fate decreed one of our "good" members would have a "bad" wife and "bad" job and those in turn forced our helpless member not to eat a healthy diet or exercise and end up, prematurely, with gout, diabetes, rotting teeth, cognitive decline, depression (only to be remedied via a Thai prostitute), etc.

Now that was a very valuable heads-up to our Fate Believers. Why? For some reason, our Fate Believers still want to try to thwart Fate. It's like our Genetics Voodoo Believers keep trying to interfere with the sacred Operations of the Voodoo. I don't get it. Why? Why see any docs at all or take any meds? Let the Voodoo do its job, the sooner the better!

Yet quite a few studies show that exercise does affect health and that, in turn, one's health probably does affect one's longevity. We ignore those, of course, but still: claims of good health on the part of older people who do nothing on their way to becoming centenarians, or just enjoy that wonderful short but happy life, is quite on topic and lovely to hear. Our usual Elbow Bending song has been sung a couple of times. Hee.

As continually attested in these Excuses for Diet and Exercise Avoidance topics, quite a number of posters are themselves counting on The George Burns Hail Mary, The Guys, The Relative, etc. to ensure they needn't bother with diet and exercise. But since we know talk's cheap on the 'net, such posters would take great comfort if you'd merely give all your stats, age, height, weight, biomarkers (BP, RHR, PHDL, TG, HbAic, FPG, etc.) and your non-diet and non-exercise program (minutes per week/intensity) to show how you've achieved your inspiring and enviable med-free status.

Exercise overrated

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, swissie said:

As the OP, I can't say that I am surprised as of the way this thread has turned out. 1000 recipies of how to live a longer and healthier life.

Well, no. By and large, our Longevity Researchers have merely confirmed your initial promotion of Doing Nothing. So, just another repetition of the same 10 Excuses Principles of TVF Longevity Science as in all  these Diet and Exercise Avoidance threads.

You must take comfort that the advisability of laziness and a Big Belly has been thoroughly verified. Irrelevant scientific research has been indeed swept aside and ignored in favor of the tried-and-true TVF Eyeballs, bringing to Health the same reliability as they bring to Economics and Construction Engineering.

Here they are again; take your pick:

1. Sour Grapes

2.  The George Burns Hail Mary
3.   The Relative
4.  The Guys
5.  Stress

6.  No Ironclad Guarantee

7.  Obesity Wins

Three Fatalistic Excuses Principles:

8.  What, me worry? I: The genes
9.  What, me worry? II: Fate
10. What, me worry? III: The French Salute

14 hours ago, swissie said:

I find, that what we do (or not do) in this discustingly short life is the only thing that matters.

Good, though I suggest that the doings should be of some benefit to someone other than just yourself.

But given this viewpoint, then the more rational course will be to try to maximize the probability of living a longer life to continue doing the things that matter as long as possible and maximize the probability of spending more time doing the things INSTEAD OF early on contracting chronic diseases and then chasing docs, meds, surgeries, and hospitals, spending time, money, and bother staving off pain and morbidity.

The only hope of doing that based on science is through a healthy diet and exercise. So you got your choice: science or the Eyeballs.???? Why pretend to reason about the question and come up with phony, irrelevant excuses? Why not just be honest and say, I don't want to diet or exercise because I don't want to. Period. Good for you; thanks for sharing. Next!

So unfortunately you've rather contradicted yourself in the usual effort to justify self-defeatism.

> 500 years from now, nobody will be intersted what we ate or how we lived.

Completely irrelevant. Who cares what they think? The question concerns the here and now. 

Edited by BigStar

One more important note:

Environmental conditions in previous generations can affect gene expression in future generations.

So, you are not just a product of your genes and your environment...

But, you are also a product of environmental conditions before you were born, experienced by your forebears.

Nature/Nurture is less meaningful in this context.

Right?

16 hours ago, BigStar said:

Oh, you only know what you've superficially read on the usual diet and fitness sites or in MuscleMags selling plans, subscriptions, apps, books, consultations, supplements, meals, equipment, dreams of looking like Arnold, etc. I did that decades ago, but then I wised up.

Takes a lot of time and digging to get through all that salesmanship. A ton of money is behind it. As someone said on Twitter recently, can "we state how little we have to do once we spent 10,000 hours figuring it out?"

In short, all those sets & reps and regular steady state cardio is completely unnecessary for fitness. You probably don't know what fitness is, so I'll copy from a previous post somewhere:

. . . the goal is to achieve sustainable fitness with health for the least amount of time and effort spent. WOT? So what’s the purpose of that fitness then? Well, nobody ever lists better posing or even "muscle mass" as a target benefit, sorry. Here it is. First, there's Top 10 Benefits of Physical Activity. Exercise is that physical activity designed to enhance fitness in the 5 standard areas of

• body composition,
  • cardiorespiratory endurance,
  • flexibility,
  • muscular endurance, and
  • muscular strength.

By how much then? Enough so that you can handle confidently the challenges you may expect to encounter above your own resting threshold.

I don't like exercising per se, as I always have something else to do I find more interesting. I prioritize efficiency.

So you can be quite fit by doing only an hour a week of intense resistance exercise and no traditional cardio, or say 20 min of intervals a week. Only @tropo understands this, but I think he's tired of posting about fitness (who can blame him?). It's not boring because of the concentration it requires, along with balls. However, listening to music or watching videos always helps a lot for most exercise.

A low carb diet and intermittent fasting takes care of the body fat issue and sugar cravings. Takes a couple of months to get used to the method and then you're good.

In sum, almost anyone can be lean & fit with short intense workouts once or twice a week, with balanced strength, confident movement, no counting weight or reps, plenty of rest w/ time for mobility training, no downtime, no real goals beyond maintaining the goodness (Why We Don’t Need Goals), no warmups, no worries about “gainz,” trivial investment; and, what with low carb as well, no counting calories, no hunger, no weight yo-yos--and, most importantly, good numbers across the board year after year. No meds, man. What’s not to like? 

We've seen that you must figure things out for yourself, so carry on with starve 'n' sweat long as you can. ????

Gardening does that.

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

What numbers? You want to ask me out?

Duh. Delay by pretending ignorance. So childish.

18 hours ago, BigStar said:

But since we know talk's cheap on the 'net, such posters would take great comfort if you'd merely give all your stats, age, height, weight, biomarkers (BP, RHR, PHDL, TG, HbAic, FPG, etc.) and your non-diet and non-exercise program (minutes per week/intensity) to show how you've achieved your inspiring and enviable med-free status.

Edited by BigStar

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Dont know. Im strong and fit. Dont need to measure stuff.

And another typical excuse: Ignorance Is Bliss

Good. That tells us all we need to know re: the validity of your "opinions."????

Just now, BigStar said:

And another typical excuse: Ignorance Is Bliss

Good. That tells us all we need to know re: the validity of your "opinions."????

I find it odd that an amateur would pretend to be fit cause they measure stuff. And who cares?

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2021 at 5:11 PM, Sparktrader said:

What numbers? You want to ask me out?

Numbers :cheesy:.

Some of us just get on with life and deal with problems when they arise, and others are so worried about what they eat and having to exercise etc that IMO they must be constantly stressed about it.

Just thinking that "numbers" are important would put one in the latter camp, IMO.

That's not saying that it's OK to weight 150 kg. Everything in moderation is always a good way to live.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Numbers :cheesy:.

Some of us just get on with life and deal with problems when they arise

Tell us again how well that’s worked out for you.???? Again.

I’ll just prevent the problems and then not have to deal with them as you have, and are, thank you. So easy. Been doing that for decades, no regrets.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

others are so worried about what they eat and having to exercise etc that IMO they must be constantly stressed about it.

Typical assertion from our overweight and out-of-shape Medication Seekers. What's missing is any evidence of any complaints about worry and stress from anyone following a healthy lifestyle. Why don't you give us a few testimonials? All I hear from them over on real diet and fitness forums is "glad I lost all that weight, working on more, stopped needing those meds, and feel great." WOT???

So, just your usual Sour Grapes. Over and over and over. Sigh.

Trouble is, we got the Health forum to see for ourselves all the fun our Medication Seekers are having. There members are constantly posting about what fun they’re having clawing after docs, hospitals, meds, and surgeries, sitting in waiting rooms, worrying about payment and insurance, fighting chronic disease, and suffering pain and disability. Whee! That ain’t no stress! And thank god it’s not boring. I don't see any of your posts where you've chortled how much fun you're having taking your diabetes meds. Why aren't you recommending the fun to others?

And in the Health forum our members all affirm that financially helping out all the impoverished docs, pharmacies, and hospitals is also extremely relaxing and satisfying. One can never be bored studying over a long itemized hospital bill!

This, although all posters confess themselves ready to Depart at just anytime, having already enjoyed a happy and exciting life with their beer, pies, pastries, recliner and TV. Who needs both their legs or eyesight anyway? Long as you don’t diet & exercise, you’re happy.

However, for some reason I find myself unable to regret avoiding, here at the beach in Pattaya, all that fun you’re having, sorry; and sorry, I just don’t feel stressed at all about following a healthy lifestyle. Sun, steak, and steel, man—and sex my Thai gf always adds. So cute.

I’m mostly hoping for clear skies in the next few days to walk out on the beach for a bit o’ Vitamin D. 

Oh. Besides all the worry and stress I'm supposed to be under, I've been told that my pitiful life must be hard. OK, lemme throw out this bone for ya: what's hard is that the Russian hotties have left the beach for a time. I miss them, sniff!

> Just thinking that "numbers" are important would put one in the latter camp, IMO.

And not your camp.???? But you’ve discovered that SHOCK! when your numbers are good, you’re a lot happier than when they’re bad. If only you'd known. That’s when you worry—as you have, and do now, very much.

Part of the hypocrisy of our Medication Seekers is that while promoting Genetic Voodoo, Fate, The French Salute, and Doing Nothing, they’re doing a helluva job of worrying and following their numbers and seeking docs and meds to try to turn their bad numbers into good. Why is that? [crickets]. Why aren't they Doing Nothing and being happy?

So, stop checking your blood sugar, stop taking all your pills (the amounts of which are determined by your numbers). Stop paying attention to that glucose number, it ain’t important. Deal with the blindness when you're blind, of course.

Walk the walk, man, not just talk the phony talk out of Sour Grapes. Let Fate take its course. What the hell is with all this stress?  

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 12:21 PM, Sparktrader said:

I find it odd that an amateur would pretend to be fit cause they measure stuff. And who cares?

But that isn't the reason to measure stuff, as you'll probably come to realize at some point. Good luck. 

55 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I’ll just prevent the problems and then not have to deal with them as you have, and are, thank you. So easy. Been doing that for decades, no regrets.

Typical assertion from our overweight and out-of-shape Medication Seekers. What's missing is any evidence of any complaints about worry and stress from anyone following a healthy lifestyle. Why don't you give us a few testimonials? All I hear from them over on real diet and fitness forums is "glad I lost all that weight, working on more, stopped needing those meds, and feel great." WOT???

Trouble is, we got the Health forum to see for ourselves all the fun our Medication Seekers are having. There members are constantly posting about what fun they’re having clawing after docs, hospitals, meds, and surgeries, sitting in waiting rooms, worrying about payment and insurance, fighting chronic disease, and suffering pain and disability. Whee! That ain’t no stress! And thank god it’s not boring. I don't see any of your posts where you've chortled how much fun you're having taking your diabetes meds. Why aren't you recommending the fun to others?

And in the Health forum our members all affirm that financially helping out all the impoverished docs, pharmacies, and hospitals is also extremely relaxing and satisfying. One can never be bored studying over a long itemized hospital bill!

This, although all posters confess themselves ready to Depart at just anytime, having already enjoyed a happy and exciting life with their beer, pies, pastries, recliner and TV. Who needs both their legs or eyesight anyway? Long as you don’t diet & exercise, you’re happy.

However, for some reason I find myself unable to regret avoiding, here at the beach in Pattaya, all that fun you’re having, sorry; and sorry, I just don’t feel stressed at all about following a healthy lifestyle. Sun, steak, and steel, man—and sex my Thai gf always adds. So cute.

I’m mostly hoping for clear skies in the next few days to walk out on the beach for a bit o’ Vitamin D. 

Oh. Besides all the worry and stress I'm supposed to be under, I've been told that my pitiful life must be hard. OK, lemme throw out this bone for ya: what's hard is that the Russian hotties have left the beach for a time. I miss them, sniff!

> Just thinking that "numbers" are important would put one in the latter camp, IMO.

And not your camp.???? But you’ve discovered that SHOCK! when your numbers are good, you’re a lot happier than when they’re bad. If only you'd known. That’s when you worry—as you have, and do now, very much.

Part of the hypocrisy of our Medication Seekers is that while promoting Genetic Voodoo, Fate, The French Salute, and Doing Nothing, they’re doing a helluva job of worrying and following their numbers and seeking docs and meds to try to turn their bad numbers into good. Why is that? [crickets]. Why aren't they Doing Nothing and being happy?

So, stop checking your blood sugar, stop taking all your pills (the amounts of which are determined by your numbers). Stop paying attention to that glucose number, it ain’t important. Deal with the blindness when you're blind, of course.

Walk the walk, man, not just talk the phony talk out of Sour Grapes. Let Fate take its course. What the hell is with all this stress?  

You dont sound happy at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But that isn't the reason to measure stuff, as you'll probably come to realize at some point. Good luck. 

Waste of time. Ive slept with more women than most people have had hot dinners. Dont need to add 5 years to life by measuring every little detail and how boring.

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2021 at 6:55 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

One more important note:

Environmental conditions in previous generations can affect gene expression in future generations.

So, you are not just a product of your genes and your environment...

But, you are also a product of environmental conditions before you were born, experienced by your forebears.

Nature/Nurture is less meaningful in this context.

Right?

Highly controversial. If there is any interaction between environement/genes it would happen over a hundred generations or more.
If genes would react to "short-term" life circumstances, at the latest, after the 30 year war in Europe (mostly affecting Germany) the "war-gene" would have been "switched-off". As warfare is the most threathening activity a human can engage in. (Ergo: The genes "learning" from positive/negative environemental influences). Quite appearant, has not happened.
One source (forgot the source) claimed, that our genes are "getting better", becaus we are taller than our grandfathers. BOVINE DROPPINGS! It's a matter of better nutrition. Case in point: South Korean kids are about 10 cm taller than their north Korean counterparts, due to the re-occurring famines in north Korea over the last 20 years, stunting their growth.

So, I remain: We are genetically the result of the genes of our fathers and mothers (and their ancestors), thus playing a major role as far as health & life expectancy is concerned. Nothing points to our genes having gotten better or worse, compared to a 1000 generations ago. The DNA of human fossils and the DNA of Homo Sapiens are identical.
Why is it, that the Doctor asks us: Were there any occurrences of Cancer in your family? The question is self-explanatory and gene-related. Exercise won't cure a "cancer-verdict".
===============================
Still my favorite: Before the industrial revolution, people exercised plenty. I call this the best form of exercise "Hard Physical Labor". In fersh, unpolluted air. Still, they died at the age of 45 or before. So what makes us live longer than ever before? We enjoy a better diet. No more famines and mainly modern medicine above anything else.
I do not want to discourage anyone from exercising. But I remember the days on Beach-Road at 6 AM. Hordes of Farangs on the run. At first I thought that they were pickpockets, running from the Police. Later, I was told, that they are only "exercising". Their facial expressions have been engrained in my memory forever: Pure suffering, excrutiating pain, with a blank stare while huffing and puffing away. What a way to enjoy life, I said to myself.

Rumor has it, that Sex is also a good form of exercise. So, (while living in Pattaya), why the need to leave the house for exercise in the first place? Also rumor has it, that Farangs having died during "the Act", they all had a smile on their face, as opposed to Beach Road runners and neighborhood Fitness-Studio "exercisionists".

Boy, I know how to make friends around here, don't I?

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 8:15 PM, Presnock said:

Basically, looking at the animal/insect world, heartbeat is a fairly accurate measure of longevity ....

There are several studies that seem to correlate to this, it seems metabolic rate determines much, basically a finite number of heart beats.  
Use slowly like a tortoise and live a hundred years, use them up quickly like a humming bird and live only a few, it's relative.

13 hours ago, BigStar said:

LOL. Sigh- indeed.

I had a reasonably fit life till I got to an age one would expect to be decrepit, and other than an episode of cancer ( if anyone knows how to stop that they'll become the richest wo/man on the planet ) had reasonable health, like most humans have.

Would I change anything re diet or exercise if I could go back 50 years- not at all. I enjoyed every grain of sugar, every slab of dead animal, every pat of butter I consumed.

If I have to take a few pills now, so be it. Taking some pills is waaaaay easier than spending hours on a treadmill, or exercise machine.

If I can still go out and shovel a couple tons of dirt I'm not doing too badly, even if it does take a bit longer than it would have 20 years ago.

Not everyone is fixated on exercise for the sake of exercise, or diet to look a couple of inches slimmer.

As for my teeth ( which you seem fixated on ), most people my age, that I know, have dentures. I've avoided that, if nothing else.

????

5 hours ago, swissie said:

Highly controversial. If there is any interaction between environement/genes it would happen over a hundred generations or more.
If genes would react to "short-term" life circumstances, at the latest, after the 30 year war in Europe (mostly affecting Germany) the "war-gene" would have been "switched-off". As warfare is the most threathening activity a human can engage in. (Ergo: The genes "learning" from positive/negative environemental influences). Quite appearant, has not happened.
One source (forgot the source) claimed, that our genes are "getting better", becaus we are taller than our grandfathers. BOVINE DROPPINGS! It's a matter of better nutrition. Case in point: South Korean kids are about 10 cm taller than their north Korean counterparts, due to the re-occurring famines in north Korea over the last 20 years, stunting their growth.

So, I remain: We are genetically the result of the genes of our fathers and mothers (and their ancestors), thus playing a major role as far as health & life expectancy is concerned. Nothing points to our genes having gotten better or worse, compared to a 1000 generations ago. The DNA of human fossils and the DNA of Homo Sapiens are identical.
Why is it, that the Doctor asks us: Were there any occurrences of Cancer in your family? The question is self-explanatory and gene-related. Exercise won't cure a "cancer-verdict".
Still my favorite: Before the industrial revolution, people exercised plenty. I call this the best form of exercise "Hard Physical Labor". In fersh, unpolluted air. Still, they died at the age of 45 or before. So what makes us live longer than ever before? We enjoy a better diet. No more famines and mainly modern medicine above anything else.
I do not want to discourage anyone from exercising. But I remember the days on Beach-Road at 6 AM. Hordes of Farangs on the run. At first I thought that they were pickpockets, running from the Police. Later, I was told, that they are only "exercising". Their facial expressions have been engrained in my memory forever: Pure suffering, excrutiating pain, with a blank stare while huffing and puffing away. What a way to enjoy life, I said to myself.

Rumor has it, that Sex is also a good form of exercise. So, (while living in Pattaya), why the need to leave the house for exercise in the first place? Also rumor has it, that Farangs having died during "the Act", they all had a smile on their face, as opposed to Beach Road runners and neighborhood Fitness-Studio "exercisionists".

Boy, I know how to make friends around here, don't I?

"Rumor has it, that Sex is also a good form of exercise. So, (while living in Pattaya), why the need to leave the house for exercise in the first place? Also rumor has it, that Farangs having died during "the Act", they all had a smile on their face, as opposed to Beach Road runners and neighborhood Fitness-Studio "exercisionists"."

end quote

I can't speak to how effective exercise sex is, but I lost weight during every visit to Thailand, so IMO it's a good weight loss activity.

17 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Waste of time. Ive slept with more women than most people have had hot dinners. Dont need to add 5 years to life by measuring every little detail and how boring.

But then again I've slept with more than you have and they and I enjoyed the experiences more as well. Sex is a lot better when you're healthy and fit. And it turns out that a healthy lifestyle tends to add years to your life even as it postpones chronic disease until much later than average. So I look forward to enjoying more of the same while you're pursuing your meds.

Health Problems Related to Muscle Atrophy, or Muscle Loss

Sarcopenia the specific condition is linked to a number of poor health outcomes:1

3.5x higher risk of mortality
    3x higher risk of functional decline
    Greater risk of falls
    Higher chance of hospitalization

Muscle itself is a powerful endocrine organ, emitting hormonal messages that regulate metabolism, inflammation, and overall function.

Muscle also provides a metabolic reservoir for support and recovery from physical trauma—injuries, wounds, damage to our tissues. When muscle mass drops to extremely low levels, it means you’re not only more likely to be hospitalized, you’re more likely to never make it out of that hospital bed.

Worse still, sarcopenia isn’t just loss of muscle . . .

--What Is Sarcopenia and How Can You Defeat It?

The Compression of morbidity paradigm envisions reduction in cumulative lifetime morbidity through primary prevention by postponing the age of onset of morbidity to a greater amount than life expectancy is increased, largely by reducing the lifestyle health risks which cause morbidity and disability. Recent data document slowly improving age-specific health status for seniors, indicate that postponement of the onset of disability by at least 10 years is feasible, and prove effectiveness of some lifestyle interventions by randomized controlled trials. Human aging is increasingly represented by frailty, with declining reserve function of many organ systems, including the immune system.

--Fries, J. F. “Compression of Morbidity in the Elderly.” Vaccine, vol. 18, no. 16, Feb. 2000, pp. 1584–89. PubMed, doi:10.1016/s0264-410x(99)00490-9.

I only need to look at my numbers once a year during my routine health check. Takes about 3 minutes I guess to note everything's within healthy ranges, year after year. The vast amount of "time spent" and "worry" are just usual fantasies on the part of our Medication Seekers. Sorry. 

Now in the past year I read several references about COVID and oximeters (on other forums, with more intelligent people). And recently our Medication Seekers are constantly posting about their worries about their blood pressure and their efforts to somehow get a normal range without diet and exercise. So for many the question is, "are my meds reducing my blood pressure enough?" ????

So I did buy an oximeter, and to see if I have "reverse White Coat syndrome" that makes my BP always normal at, say, the dentist's office, I bought a blood pressure cuff too. So I take a look at those maybe once every couple weeks or so. Yeah, waste of 5 minutes. I am pleased my RHR stays around 50 just as it's been for the past 30 years or so. Not bad, for how little I really do.

image.png.6ac65590f62c36ef70d79abe3455fa34.png

Edited by BigStar

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can't speak to how effective exercise sex is, but I lost weight during every visit to Thailand, so IMO it's a good weight loss activity.

Love the logic. Thank god I was under your nursing care.