Exercise is everything

swissie

When it comes to design and life expectancy the human model leaves a great deal to be desired.

It's like Nature held a meeting, decided that we were going to be trouble for everything, and started pushing us down faulty adaption paths. 

Admittedly we started sidestepped a lot of the natural culling with technology, which is why in 2021 we still print "Do Not Drink" on bottles of bleach.

Time is an illusion.. lunchtime doubly so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gearbox said:

Is too much exercise bad for me?

Absolutely! Go to youtube and type in "Run for your life! At a comfortable pace, and not too far: James O'Keefe" He is a Cardiologist and a fitness buff and has a great 18 minute video that is well worth watching. I would give you the link but I think that might be against the rules here. O'Keefe writes, "The fitness patterns for conferring longevity and robust lifelong cardiovascular health are distinctly different from the patterns that develop peak performance and marathon/superhuman endurance. Extreme endurance training and racing can take a toll on your long-term cardiovascular health.  For the daily workout, it may be best to have more fun endure less suffering in order to attain ideal heart health."

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, rumak said:

the only problem with "consulting an expert"   ( something i hear constantly on all these health related themes)................... is one has to be an expert to know if someone else is an expert !

i would suggest to all  "take the time to learn to be an expert " .    The person who is successful at this will hopefully realize that what they have learned is what works for them.    When i am looking for ideas...... i am more likely to go to a playground and see who over 60 is out there being physical. The last doctor i went to was on crutches when i went for a visit.  Another was overweight.  And a third smelled of cigarettes.   

Don't even get me started on those "healthy" breakfast cereals !

image.jpeg.3770fa71ec766e53af8bb88c01a46df9.jpeg

Well not always the case. If weights are your thing then it is best to chat to a weight lifting coach. Depending on your condition that 'expert' will/should advise accordingly. Same applies to other categories.. What I would call an expert is a coach in the particular sport who is knowledgeable about the functions of the muscles and deep muscles along with tendon care etc. Skeletal structure is also important. Diet is more about being sensible and knowing one's own metabolism. Clothing is also important in the outdoors. Runners should make sure of proper ankle and bursa support for example.

19 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

As an engineer, Ex Air Force Officer, trained above the All American level in Tae Kwon Do, shot in the 70s in golf, ran cross country, won some college wrestling tournaments, have clean and jerked twice my little body weight at one time, and have in general kept a little bit over the years, but less so the last 5 years when I made the most money in my life, I have been contemplating what to do going forward as I head into non working retirement.  I am now 64.

1:  Keeping one's mind active, not busy, but active can help keep one stable.  Can help keep the brain from turning to mush.  You want some motivation, but yet not too much stress.

2:  Some light stretching and flexibility is important and can prevent some nasty muscle spasms or pulls which heal slowly or poorly as one gets older.

3:  Aerobics is important as it can keep you from breathing too hard and getting exhausted just walking around.  I recommend some long walks often.  They are low muscle and bone stress.  Walking quickly yet not for the purpose of rushing or trying to make some time limit is good.  Walking up some hills or inclines is good if not over done.

4:  Running is less recommended, and jogging is even less recommended.  Jogging tends to just pound the knees and and ankles as it is not a good stride, especially if one is quite a bit heavier than they used to be in high school!

5:  Studies seem to show that 4 or 5 hours of mental activity is the limit in a given day for creative thinking and good for brain stimulation. Having said that, I am leaning to try and find some mental activity of 4 hours every day. I don't mean just surf the internet.  I mean read a book.  Look over the finances.  Buy that introductory calculus book.  Read a book on fun physics from the book store about how things work.  Study some nature things.. whatever.  I am an engineer and like to keep busy but this COVID was a pain and this last job they wanted 4 x 10 hour days.  While having every Friday off sounded nice, and was nice, those 10 hour days were too hard to do.  Work until 6 PM, get home, cook dinner and then go to bed at 10 is not healthy.  Eating too late at night before bedtime.  Not enough time to do much personal.

6:  Back on exercising, I think light weight training is ESSENTIAL.  It keeps the muscles toned.  It stimulated and helps keep bone density which otherwise wastes away as one gets older and just sits in the rocker or reclining chair.  And the aerobic and circulation benefits are fantastic.  Muscle strength can help prevent those falls that happen later in life.

7:  Nutrition.  Better food is probably the easiest thing you can do to keep healthy.  Olive oil and rice and vegetables, and fish and some nuts in your diet.  Fruit.  No processed food.  Not saying that mostly vegetarian diet is the best, although I think it is, you should consider it.  Literally every study shows the benefits, lower weight, less empty calories, lower cholesterol, lower plaque, etc.  Tofu is great in Chinese Hot and Sour Soup.  Sauteed veggies in light olive oil, some fresh cheese now and then, and egg or two for balanced amino acids, etc.. Up to you what you want to pour into your body engine.  

8:  Meditation.  If you are in Thailand, this being an Asian and once Thailand website mostly, I recommend it. Calm the mind.  Forget about today's problems, tomorrow's worries.  Losing stress for 30 minutes a day can do wonders.  Want less, and really believe that you want and need less, while being one of the key precepts of buddhism, whether you believe in it or not, is likely very beneficial,

Wishing all you good people comfort and well being.

I feel knackered just after reading that lot.  LOL.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

maybe so but looking at my class of '64 survivors, I note that most are obese to overweight.  I see regularly that they all have to medicate regularly and have some serious health problems with blood pressure, diabetes, etc.  My parents and relatives have the same health problems and they do not exercise or eat healthy.  I do and have not health problems currently, not overweight and blood pressure at or below normal taken daily.  I don't eat many foods which contain salt or sugar but do like the hot peppers and have no digestion problems other than some complaints from wife and daughter due to gas blasts.  since I feel good all the time and get no colds, Bangkok belly, and even no headaches (physical) this century.  I will continue my 3:00AM walks with less pollution and no cars or people to bother me.  But, these are my opinions based on 74 years of exercise and eating habits.  Good luck whatever you like or decide to do!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Well not always the case. If weights are your thing then it is best to chat to a weight lifting coach. Depending on your condition that 'expert' will/should advise accordingly. Same applies to other categories.. What I would call an expert is a coach in the particular sport who is knowledgeable about the functions of the muscles and deep muscles along with tendon care etc. Skeletal structure is also important. Diet is more about being sensible and knowing one's own metabolism. Clothing is also important in the outdoors. Runners should make sure of proper ankle and bursa support for example.

well I have weight lifted for 55 years and never had any muscle, joint or bone problems.  Though after 65, when I ceased to run regularly and switched to brisk walking, I also switched to light weight lifting to exhaustion versus heavy weights and now in my mid 70's have great definition, stronger, etc.  There have been several studies done that show light weights to exhaustion can almost totally match strength and definition gained.  I do all my weight lifting at home so have no spotter but since I am using lighter weights there is no problem anyway.  Listen to you body, if it hurts that is the way it lets you know you did something wrong.  Good luck

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

maybe so but looking at my class of '64 survivors, I note that most are obese to overweight.  I see regularly that they all have to medicate regularly and have some serious health problems with blood pressure, diabetes, etc.  My parents and relatives have the same health problems and they do not exercise or eat healthy.  I do and have not health problems currently, not overweight and blood pressure at or below normal taken daily.  I don't eat many foods which contain salt or sugar but do like the hot peppers and have no digestion problems other than some complaints from wife and daughter due to gas blasts.  since I feel good all the time and get no colds, Bangkok belly, and even no headaches (physical) this century.  I will continue my 3:00AM walks with less pollution and no cars or people to bother me.  But, these are my opinions based on 74 years of exercise and eating habits.  Good luck whatever you like or decide to do!

74yo isnt old

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

all I've noticed is that the older that folks get the easier it is for them to justify anything..

That's the great thing about getting older.

I would be really looking forward to it, if I was still fit enough for things I needed to justify.

15 hours ago, Presnock said:

well I have weight lifted for 55 years and never had any muscle, joint or bone problems.  Though after 65, when I ceased to run regularly and switched to brisk walking, I also switched to light weight lifting to exhaustion versus heavy weights and now in my mid 70's have great definition, stronger, etc.  There have been several studies done that show light weights to exhaustion can almost totally match strength and definition gained.  I do all my weight lifting at home so have no spotter but since I am using lighter weights there is no problem anyway.  Listen to you body, if it hurts that is the way it lets you know you did something wrong.  Good luck

Well, you got that right...'listen to you body'. As a long time martial artist, it is necessary. As I have said on similar threads, we are all different and what suits one may not suit another. Get to know your body, its limitations, how to push it and make progress. limb flexibility is a good example. In a similar way Instructors too have their own individual methods. People have their own reasons for choosing  a 'keep fit' programme but what is important is staying with it. Learn about the programme itself as well as its application.

On 7/1/2021 at 11:50 PM, swissie said:

An average rabbit lives for about 2 years (maybe 3 if regularily served Beer-Chang for desert). An absolute exercise fanatic,

Our rabbits have lived for 7 yrs and so have our neighbours. And they are the laziest fat animals I have ever owned. I think you are misinformed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbabythai said:

Yours are really slim. Please share with me how much and what you feed everyday. clearly Im over feeding mine

They have unlimited food .........

Their food bowl is always filled with CBS203 rabbit pellets, and they can graze whatever they want from the garden. Fallen mangoes, and dry mango leaves seem to attract them. The brown one also begs for biscuits whenever we are eating them, and they regularly choose to eat carboard and paper.

On 7/3/2021 at 8:18 PM, swissie said:

But the main reason we live longer is due to the phantastic progress of modern medicine. It's mainly the Doctors and the Hospitals that enable us to live longer. Exercise & Diet come in as a distant second and third.

But you have to consider who the "we" is needing the docs & hsps to live significantly longer. 

Only 12 percent of American adults are metabolically healthy, study finds 

How did 88% become metabolically unhealthy? By of course not exercising and dieting.

Generally speaking, ruling out accidents etc., the longer people put off succumbing to a chronic disease, the longer they will live according to a natural lifespan.

You can try to put off succumbing to a chronic disease via docs, hsps, meds, surgeries while fighting the pain, frailty, and illness over an extended period, waddling around with a fat belly and calling it happiness. Or you may put it off via diet & exercise, feeling fit and healthy until you must absolutely must resort to the meds a few years towards the end. No guarantees either way (we do insist on absolute certainties here), but I prefer to take my chances with the latter course. Saves so much bother and expense, too.

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Generally speaking, ruling out accidents etc., the longer people put off succumbing to a chronic disease, the longer they will live according to a natural lifespan.

I don't agree,

I believe everyone is born with a 'death by' date and there isn't much chance of extending or reducing that date. I've never associated with fatties, and all my slim and active pals are mostly dead by now, at 65 I've outlasted most of them. I wish I had wasted less time exercising, and more time drinking/eating/whoring.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I believe everyone is born with a 'death by' date and there isn't much chance of extending or reducing that date

I can't argue with religious or spiritual beliefs, sorry. Previously I've quoted some science for you, which of course you ignored. I think we can toss opinions from the chronically ill comforting themselves with invocations to voodoo genetics.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I wish I had wasted less time exercising, and more time drinking/eating/whoring.

I've previously noted this as the standard recommendation of our TVF Life Coaches.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 8:20 PM, swissie said:

So I bought myself a turtle (with a proper leasch). Now we take daily walks around the block together.

Problem here is that without exercise, the far greater probability of dying from a fall owing to your weak bones, muscles, and impaired balance may derail your plan for greater longevity via docs, meds, and hsps. 

Falls are the leading cause of injury-related death among adults age 65 and older, and the age-adjusted fall death rate is increasing.

--https://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/falls/data/deaths-from-falls.html

Seniors who exercise (those miserable, stressed out souls) should add in some mobility training as well.

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

Falls are the leading cause of injury-related death among adults age 65 and older, and the age-adjusted fall death rate is increasing.

I wonder if this why so many people fall from balconies in BKK and Pattaya.......?

On 7/2/2021 at 3:21 AM, josthomz said:

if only just a brief walk.

Apparently 2000 paces a day. That's between 1.2 and 2 kms daily. Doesn't all have to be at once. If the 7-Eleven is 1km away?

32 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I wonder if this why so many people fall from balconies in BKK and Pattaya.......?

Chemical impairment often plays a role of course. In the seniors might just be from all those meds they're swallowing. It's not unusual for the metabolically challenged to be taking 33 different medications. Obese friend of mine kept them in a huge basket beside her recliner. So that's been cited as a possible reason for the growing rate.

That said, CSI: TVF has never discovered any case of an accidental balcony fall. Thorough investigations have determined that all balcony falls have resulted from a push by a Thai wife, gf, lb, wife's lover, or thug committing robbery--only to be falsely portrayed as a suicide by the incompetent, lazy BIB.

• Haha 1

The one who invented running is dead at 50, so good reflection on the turtle and follow his example, moderation is the winning card, apart from sexual activity ????

Edited by BE88

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

But you have to consider who the "we" is needing the docs & hsps to live significantly longer. 

Only 12 percent of American adults are metabolically healthy, study finds 

How did 88% become metabolically unhealthy? By of course not exercising and dieting.

You can try to put off succumbing to a chronic disease via docs, hsps, meds, surgeries while fighting the pain, frailty, and illness over an extended period, waddling around with a fat belly and calling it happiness. Or you may put it off via diet & exercise, feeling fit and healthy until you must absolutely must resort to the meds a few years towards the end. No guarantees either way (we do insist on absolute certainties here), but I prefer to take my chances with the latter course. Saves so much bother and expense, too.

LOL. There is IMO absolutely no need to "exercise and diet" to be healthy. One need only have an active lifestyle and not eat bad food or to excess.

My ancestors were not unhealthy or obese and they never heard of a "gym" or "dieting". Of course they didn't eat toxic so called food from supermarkets, and didn't spend all day on a computer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BE88 said:

The one who invented running is dead at 50, so good reflection on the turtle and follow his example, moderation is the winning card, apart from sexual activity ????

Are we looking at the same cave drawing? That lion would have ate him even sooner had he not invented the running.

• Haha 1