Exercise is everything

swissie

17 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

You dont sound happy at all.

Repeating that fantasy will never make it true, sorry. Rather, you don't, needing to start entire threads about boredom and a fasting diet.????

18 hours ago, BigStar said:

Tell us again how well that’s worked out for you.???? Again.

I’ll just prevent the problems and then not have to deal with them as you have, and are, thank you. So easy. Been doing that for decades, no regrets.

Typical assertion from our overweight and out-of-shape Medication Seekers. What's missing is any evidence of any complaints about worry and stress from anyone following a healthy lifestyle. Why don't you give us a few testimonials? All I hear from them over on real diet and fitness forums is "glad I lost all that weight, working on more, stopped needing those meds, and feel great." WOT???

So, just your usual Sour Grapes. Over and over and over. Sigh.

Trouble is, we got the Health forum to see for ourselves all the fun our Medication Seekers are having. There members are constantly posting about what fun they’re having clawing after docs, hospitals, meds, and surgeries, sitting in waiting rooms, worrying about payment and insurance, fighting chronic disease, and suffering pain and disability. Whee! That ain’t no stress! And thank god it’s not boring. I don't see any of your posts where you've chortled how much fun you're having taking your diabetes meds. Why aren't you recommending the fun to others?

And in the Health forum our members all affirm that financially helping out all the impoverished docs, pharmacies, and hospitals is also extremely relaxing and satisfying. One can never be bored studying over a long itemized hospital bill!

This, although all posters confess themselves ready to Depart at just anytime, having already enjoyed a happy and exciting life with their beer, pies, pastries, recliner and TV. Who needs both their legs or eyesight anyway? Long as you don’t diet & exercise, you’re happy.

However, for some reason I find myself unable to regret avoiding, here at the beach in Pattaya, all that fun you’re having, sorry; and sorry, I just don’t feel stressed at all about following a healthy lifestyle. Sun, steak, and steel, man—and sex my Thai gf always adds. So cute.

I’m mostly hoping for clear skies in the next few days to walk out on the beach for a bit o’ Vitamin D. 

Oh. Besides all the worry and stress I'm supposed to be under, I've been told that my pitiful life must be hard. OK, lemme throw out this bone for ya: what's hard is that the Russian hotties have left the beach for a time. I miss them, sniff!

> Just thinking that "numbers" are important would put one in the latter camp, IMO.

And not your camp.???? But you’ve discovered that SHOCK! when your numbers are good, you’re a lot happier than when they’re bad. If only you'd known. That’s when you worry—as you have, and do now, very much.

Part of the hypocrisy of our Medication Seekers is that while promoting Genetic Voodoo, Fate, The French Salute, and Doing Nothing, they’re doing a helluva job of worrying and following their numbers and seeking docs and meds to try to turn their bad numbers into good. Why is that? [crickets]. Why aren't they Doing Nothing and being happy?

So, stop checking your blood sugar, stop taking all your pills (the amounts of which are determined by your numbers). Stop paying attention to that glucose number, it ain’t important. Deal with the blindness when you're blind, of course.

Walk the walk, man, not just talk the phony talk out of Sour Grapes. Let Fate take its course. What the hell is with all this stress?  

While you are entitled to post anything within reason on here, one has to wonder just why you are so concerned with other members that you continue to post lengthy criticisms. I fail to see why what happens to them health wise should have you so exercised as to demand numbers (?) and other details, while bringing up stuff from our past that there is no way you could actually know.

I'm wondering which of them is the diabetic, as it sure isn't me. I have no reason to test my blood sugar etc.

????

On 7/24/2021 at 4:39 PM, Sparktrader said:

Exercise overrated

I assume you mean exercise for the sake of exercise because people don't do much physical activity anymore, so rather than go and do some physical work, they pay a gym to run, and lift weights etc all of which people in active jobs do routinely.

We live in a lazy world now, and we don't even have to wind our car windows up and down, or manually adjust the car seat. Most westerners probably don't even have a garden any more, and it's probably a bit risky going out on the streets to run, given the crime rate, so perhaps there is a justification for some to use a gym.

I always have a bit of a chuckle when I see cars with bikes on the back driving for miles and miles and miles out of town just to ride the bike around a bit. Using an exercycle in one's lounge while looking at VDOs of scenery would surely reduce the amount of pollution people put into the air. I thought people were fixated on climate change, 5555555.

Strange world we live in, IMO.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

While you are entitled to post anything within reason on here, one has to wonder just why you are so concerned with other members that you continue to post lengthy criticisms. I fail to see why what happens to them health wise should have you so exercised as to demand numbers (?) and other details, while bringing up stuff from our past that there is no way you could actually know.

I'm wondering which of them is the diabetic, as it sure isn't me. I have no reason to test my blood sugar etc.

????

In your case, your posts are always just about yourself, but then you don't like it when the response is also about you as well. Don't post about yourself, if you possibly can, and you won't get those.

Nor is there any reason not ask for evidence for various claims that seem doubtful. Producing it would in fact reassure members and shouldn't be onerous at all. They're commonly asked for when questions of health arise, nothing new there. Claiming it's something new is merely a deflection.

I can't be ar.s.ed to look up your recent admission of worries about going blind but do remind us again and the reason for it. My apologies if that was some other poster.

Most people, esp. our "crusties," as Brits like to say, have their numbers checked as part of routine yearly checkups. That's what I do.???? Hence, no extraordinary effort is required. Sorry to blow that part of our fantasy as well. 

10 hours ago, cobra said:

There are several studies that seem to correlate to this, it seems metabolic rate determines much, basically a finite number of heart beats.  
Use slowly like a tortoise and live a hundred years, use them up quickly like a humming bird and live only a few, it's relative.

You've not followed up on the implications.

A lower resting heart rate is better when it comes to your health. It’s a sign your heart is working well. When it's lower, your heart pumps more blood with each contraction and easily keeps a regular beat.

On the flip side, a high resting heart rate may mean your heart works extra hard to pump blood. . . .  Over time, a high resting heart rate may affect how your heart works. A high rate can also raise your chances of cardiovascular disease.

A slower than normal pulse is common in people who are physically fit. If your resting heart rate is regularly below 60 beats per minute but you’re not active, see your doctor, especially if you feel dizzy or short of breath.

--https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/how-to-lower-your-heart-rate

Hence @swissie is caught in another contradiction. To be more the turtle with a higher probability of living longer (by decreasing chances of dying from CVD), he should exercise more and get fit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, swissie said:

Their facial expressions have been engrained in my memory forever: Pure suffering, excrutiating pain, with a blank stare while huffing and puffing away. What a way to enjoy life, I said to myself.

How would you know how they were feeling during those brief times or afterwards? More sour grapes. 

Tell us about all those happy expressions you're seeing in the hospitals? I never seem to see any during my rare visits. And we also have written evidence as to why not. Again:

Trouble is, we got the Health forum to see for ourselves all the fun our Medication Seekers are having. There members are constantly posting about what fun they’re having clawing after docs, hospitals, meds, and surgeries, sitting in waiting rooms, worrying about payment and insurance, fighting chronic disease, and suffering pain and disability. Whee! That ain’t no stress! And thank god it’s not boring. . . . .

And in the Health forum our members all affirm that financially helping out all the impoverished docs, pharmacies, and hospitals is also extremely relaxing and satisfying. One can never be bored studying over a long itemized hospital bill!

Why continue to ignore it?

Sex is also a good form of exercise. So, (while living in Pattaya), why the need to leave the house for exercise in the first place? Also rumor has it, that Farangs having died during "the Act", they all had a smile on their face

Same contradiction. Somebody seems to have pushed your Loop button. Again:

But given this viewpoint, then the more rational course will be to try to maximize the probability of living a longer life to continue doing the things that matter as long as possible and maximize the probability of spending more time doing the things INSTEAD OF early on contracting chronic diseases and then chasing docs, meds, surgeries, and hospitals, spending time, money, and bother staving off pain and morbidity.

So again, why the phony justifications that don't really make any sense? It's really just "'Cause I don't want to." Who cares?

So, I remain: We are genetically the result of the genes of our fathers and mothers (and their ancestors), thus playing a major role as far as health & life expectancy is concerned.

3.   The Relative

A relative of mine did nothing special and lived to 95. Oh, I will too.

You might wanna hedge your bets:

Scientists reported on Tuesday that genes accounted for well under 7 percent of people’s life span, versus the 20 to 30 percent of most previous estimates.

-- https://www.statnews.com/2018/11/06/life-span-genes-ancestry-database/

Who told you that you got the Longevity Genes among that little 7%? I'd like to know, too, so how does one do that?

Why not stop with the docs and meds and let the Genetic Voodoo take its course? We're never getting an answer to that question.????

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not everyone is fixated on exercise for the sake of exercise, or diet to look a couple of inches slimmer.

On the forum, most are fixated on why and how they should avoid diet and exercise and why they're happy and healthy doing so, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Hence all these recurring Diet and Exercise Avoidance threads with the usual comforting excuses and little jokes. Hee. Interjecting a bit of evidence and rationality to contradict--and have a laugh at--the nonsense gets roundly attacked, as one might expect, being such a threat.

But, time is on the side of the majority. In the USA, the percentage with metabolic disorder now approaches 88% and 70% are overweight and obese. The new nonsense has become the official party line:

image.png.448b5a569bacd28a60521333e0f7e8e9.png

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As for my teeth ( which you seem fixated on ), most people my age, that I know, have dentures. I've avoided that, if nothing else.

Oh, you brought up your worries about trying to keep your teeth from falling out, not me. The question then is why you've ever bothered to brush them at all.

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Some of us just get on with life and deal with problems when they arise

Exactly. We don't believe in no prevention 'round here. Brushing teeth is boring. People don't have happy smiles on their faces while they're brushing or seeing dentists. They must lead miserable lives.

So, to Walk The Walk, you'd have got on with your life and just let the teeth fall out a decade or so ago and dealt with problems of getting the pies, pastries, and sweets down your gullet THEN. If dentures, so be it! It was Fate. You'd wasted no time being bored by unnecessary brushing efforts and sitting in dentists' chairs.

I'm not seeing the consistency in our Diet and Exercise Avoiders, man.

Just now, BigStar said:

Oh, you brought up your worries about trying to keep your teeth from falling out, not me. The question then is why you've ever bothered to brush them at all.

Exactly. We don't believe in no prevention 'round here. Brushing teeth is boring. People don't have happy smiles on their faces while they're brushing or seeing dentists. They must lead miserable lives.

So, to Walk The Walk, you'd have got on with your life and just let the teeth fall out a decade or so ago and dealt with problems of getting the pies, pastries, and sweets down your gullet THEN. If dentures, so be it! It was Fate. You'd wasted no time being bored by unnecessary brushing efforts and sitting in dentists' chairs.

I'm not seeing the consistency in our Diet and Exercise Avoiders, man.

You are excelling yourself. That post deserves a :clap2:

????

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, BigStar said:

On the forum, most are fixated on why and how they should avoid diet and exercise and why they're happy and healthy doing so, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Hence all these recurring Diet and Exercise Avoidance threads with the usual comforting excuses and little jokes. Hee. Interjecting a bit of evidence and rationality to contradict--and have a laugh at--the nonsense gets roundly attacked, as one might expect, being such a threat.

But, time is on the side of the majority. In the USA, the percentage with metabolic disorder now approaches 88% and 70% are overweight and obese. The new nonsense has become the official party line:

image.png.448b5a569bacd28a60521333e0f7e8e9.png

Thanks for making me nauseous, NOT.

Seems the editors of Cosmo have completely lost the plot.

Perhaps it's just another way that Gaia has of eliminating humans- let them eat themselves into an early grave before they can reproduce.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Repeating that fantasy will never make it true, sorry. Rather, you don't, needing to start entire threads about boredom and a fasting diet.????

At least I dont lecture people. You are right. Everyone else is wrong.

You dont seem happy at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are likely alot of things we can do to prolong our lives. Attitude is huge. Keeping a positive attitude, being cheerful, maintaining a sense of humor, not taking yourself too seriously, and eating well, are just a few things. Personally, being with a far younger woman is very effective for me. I tried women my age. It just did not work for me. And exercise. The Churchill examples are not particularly relevant. Running a nation, and fighting a war against a madman, likely gave him a sense of purpose. We can influence the outcome of our lives. It does not take an MIT trained scientist to have an understanding of the benefits of a reasonable amount of exercise.

Even 'lose weight' forums get quite agitated when you start to talk about exercise.

There are plenty of studies showing that adequate exercise (20 - 30 minutes a day) does prolong your life, but not only that. Some will take 20 years getting a little worse every year, with the last few years being a true martyrdom. Those that realised early that they were supposed to be looking after their bodies (generally) tend to live a little longer, yes, but more importantly don't go through the long process of going blind, having tubes shoved up them, bits chopped off, etc. 

I was given statins and blood pressure drugs a few years ago. That's when I did some serious research, found out about sugar and carbohydrates, started exercise, which I enjoy. I'm on to half marathons now at age 73.  Meanwhile, I never touched those meds and my blood pressure/sugar is back to normal. I do check levels about once a month. 

For me, and for most Thais I think, old Farang = overweight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I assume you mean exercise for the sake of exercise because people don't do much physical activity anymore, so rather than go and do some physical work, they pay a gym to run, and lift weights etc all of which people in active jobs do routinely.

No, you made up that ignorant little theory. Has nothing to do with lack of an active job.

Men who work as labourers or in other physically demanding roles have a greater risk of dying early than those with more sedentary jobs, researchers say.

The finding, from scientists in the Netherlands, reveals an apparent “physical activity paradox” where exercise can be harmful at work but beneficial to health when performed in leisure time.

--“Manual Labour Linked to Greater Risk of Early Death, Study Suggests.” The Guardian, 14 May 2018, http://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/may/14/exercise-is-good-for-you-unless-its-part-of-your-job.

3 hours ago, cooked said:

Even 'lose weight' forums get quite agitated when you start to talk about exercise.

There are plenty of studies showing that adequate exercise (20 - 30 minutes a day) does prolong your life, but not only that. Some will take 20 years getting a little worse every year, with the last few years being a true martyrdom. Those that realised early that they were supposed to be looking after their bodies (generally) tend to live a little longer, yes, but more importantly don't go through the long process of going blind, having tubes shoved up them, bits chopped off, etc. 

I was given statins and blood pressure drugs a few years ago. That's when I did some serious research, found out about sugar and carbohydrates, started exercise, which I enjoy. I'm on to half marathons now at age 73.  Meanwhile, I never touched those meds and my blood pressure/sugar is back to normal. I do check levels about once a month. 

For me, and for most Thais I think, old Farang = overweight. 

What a refreshingly intelligent post! Spot on.

I don't get these idiots who, even after they're forced to recognize their inevitable metabolic disorder, choose to medicate the symptoms and compound their problems rather than fixing the causes and healing themselves.

Social Darwinism at work, I suppose.

image.png.724ada65135d57c54740522de6e296aa.png

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No, you made up that ignorant little theory. Has nothing to do with lack of an active job.

Men who work as labourers or in other physically demanding roles have a greater risk of dying early than those with more sedentary jobs, researchers say.

The finding, from scientists in the Netherlands, reveals an apparent “physical activity paradox” where exercise can be harmful at work but beneficial to health when performed in leisure time.

--“Manual Labour Linked to Greater Risk of Early Death, Study Suggests.” The Guardian, 14 May 2018, http://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/may/14/exercise-is-good-for-you-unless-its-part-of-your-job.

See there it is right there. There have been studies that say sedentary workers, even if they exercise,  can have significant negative effects from their job.

The dangers of sitting: why sitting is the new smoking - Better Health Channel

Lierature Review of the Hazards of Sedentary Work (safeworkaustralia.gov.au)

That concerns me because I am such a person, despite exercising,  particularly in lockdown. So to say someone is ignorant and cite one study to contradict it is ..kind of ignorant and rude.

We get that you are a big star but you can provide an interesting opposing opinion without the theatrics. Tone it down a bit. 

38 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

See there it is right there. There have been studies that say sedentary workers, even if they exercise,  can have significant negative effects from their job.

The dangers of sitting: why sitting is the new smoking - Better Health Channel

Lierature Review of the Hazards of Sedentary Work (safeworkaustralia.gov.au)

That concerns me because I am such a person, despite exercising,  particularly in lockdown.

But we're not talking about sedentary workers, totally different topic.

You've ignored the time parameters in such studies on this NEW topic. They usually recommend breaks at optimal intervals etc.

Fact is, however, that even sedentary workers can benefit from exercise though it may not entirely mitigate the negative effects of overmuch sitting. Go look that up. And the type of that exercise must be considered as well, time, intensity, etc. Most here aren't aware of the need for intensity. They tend to think walking the dog, gardening, housework, and sex is significant exercise. Yes, I agree that something is better than nothing, of course.

It seems you haven't really compared the totally sedentary you with NO exercise whatsoever with the sedentary you with at least SOME exercise over a meaningful period of time. If only we had clones of ourselves.

Exercise only about 20% of your health. Diet is most of it. Then there's age, medical history, individual metabolisms, all kinds of stuff. 

There are a LOT of factors to consider, you see. Oversimplification doesn't help you have a point of much relevance. Perhaps a visit with a medical professional is in order.

Edited by BigStar

6 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

At least I dont lecture people. You are right. Everyone else is wrong.

But I just agreed with a couple of posters. Make a point that science will support and I'm right there with you, pal.

Excuses and spurious claims I laugh at, not lecture about. Lectures here are entirely useless, as no mind is ever changed on this forum. "You can't reason a person out of a position he didn't reason himself into." So you seem to labor under a misapprehension.

<irrelevant repetition snipped>

25 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But we're not talking about sedentary workers, totally different topic.

You've ignored the time parameters in such studies on this NEW topic. They usually recommend breaks at optimal intervals etc.

Fact is, however, that even sedentary workers can benefit from exercise though it may not entirely mitigate the negative effects of overmuch sitting. Go look that up. And the type of that exercise must be considered as well, time, intensity, etc. Most here aren't aware of the need for intensity. They think walking the dog, gardening, and housework is exercise.

It seems you haven't really compared the totally sedentary you with NO exercise whatsoever with the sedentary you with at least SOME exercise over a meaningful period of time.

Finally, exercise only about 20% of your health. Diet is most of it. Then there's age, medical history, all kinds of stuff. 

There are a LOT of factors to consider, you see. Oversimplification doesn't help you have a point of much relevance. Perhaps seeing a medical professional is in order.

Didn't say exercise is the only factor. You are looking for things to fault so you come across as a big star.   

The poster talked about the benefits of a job with physical labour and a reasonable inference is that such a job has benefits as compared to a sedentary job that has a gym trip after work.  

I love working from home and long may it last but you tend to move around a lot more  going to work. Gym is shut too. But I go for runs in the forest, saw a kangaroo yesterday, outlook to Melbourne   fun. 

I think you realise how important exercise is when you do it less and then notice how doing it more makes you feel better. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

@BigStar

I think you know Tropo a lot less then you think. I actually met the guy and had a lot of mail contact with him in the past. He trained a lot like I did and did a lot of rowing on his concept 2. Also had a Ski Erg and later a Cybex trainer.

As for your remark about the muscle mags that you even read those things. They rarely contain good information. In reality its all really simple compound exercises with free weights and constant increase of resistance (with reps or weight or whatever).

You can even have your beloved body weight exercises. It doesnt really matter as long as you make sure its a challenge for you and keeps being challenging. That is all that weight does make things more challenging. 

Most people i know feel better after exercise satisfied. I feel ok during lifting but dislike the cardio part. But that is just a personal preference. I feel good after cardio too. The release of endorphins is great. 

People who don't want to exercise should not exercise, forcing someone never works. If you hate it you will stop it. That is why unlike Bigstar i say find something you like to do. Its not about the perfect exercise or whatever its about consistency. Better to do something then nothing in most cases.

I certainly have seen the difference between someone who exercises and someone who does not. My mom and dad, one could be like thaibeachlover (my mom) and dad is someone who likes exercise. He bikes 3-4 hours a day (I could never do it). Dad is mainly healthy and strong even though he had a heart problem (caused by something genetic hereditary not by food or lack of exercise).

Even with his heart problems he still has more stamina is far less times sick (almost never) and better mobility. Mom is always tired sick and whatever. So i know what route I will go. 

Still even if it was not for the benefits i would still workout I hate looking like a fat slob and love the way a workout de stresses me. 

I sleep better when i workout, compared to times that i don't. I mean if i don't workout for a while then sleep gets worse. Not that i sleep worse on non workout days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

But I just agreed with a couple of posters. Make a point that science will support and I'm right there with you, pal.

Excuses and spurious claims I laugh at, not lecture about. Lectures here are entirely useless, as no mind is ever changed on this forum. "You can't reason a person out of a position he didn't reason himself into." So you seem to labor under a misapprehension.

You keep lecturing.

• Like 2