Exercise is everything

swissie

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, I suppose that doesn't fit your narrative that I never do any exercise and eat too much bad food.

I think if we look at the medical history going back 30 years or so, and we look at your current set of meds and biomarkers, we'll see it fits the medical narrative. You may think it doesn't, while taking your meds and trying to keep your teeth.

Just now, BigStar said:

I think if we look at the medical history going back 30 years or so, and we look at your current set of meds and biomarkers, we'll see it fits the medical narrative. You may think it doesn't, while taking your meds and trying to keep your teeth.

I find it strange that you apparently believe you actually know what I was doing 30 years ago.

I'd love to continue the discussion but I have better things to do, like eating my oh so bad supper.

Bye.

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

Just another Fatalism excuse, along with "it's me genes" etc. Idea is to excuse one from taking responsibility for one's own fate. Therefore (re: the topic), can't exercise (or be happy) because X prevented it, when you could have prevented X in the first place and didn't; or X didn't actually prevent it, but you wish to comfort yourself by imagining it did as a nonsense excuse. Anything to avoid diet and exercise.

The desperation on these Diet and Exercise Avoidance threads is so funny. And childish.

I'll take self-responsibility and the long but happy life, thank you. Military quote from Platoon: "The only one who can kill Barnes is Barnes." ????

Love to hear how you can avoid BPH through diet or exercise. If you can solve that, you'd be a millionaire.  Despite being very fit and eating quite well, it doesn't seem to have helped me. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know any men that live happily nowadays. Most of them are divorced.

Actually almost everyone I know has been divorced, whatever their gender.

Selective perception. You know? Everyone I know has been divorced but then found a suitable partner with whom they're happy. They didn't use their divorce as an excuse to run and cry in their old bathwater. Onward and upward, my man.

Already addressed previously:

6 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Love to hear how you can avoid BPH through diet or exercise. If you can solve that, you'd be a millionaire.  Despite being very fit and eating quite well, it doesn't seem to have helped me. 

Same!

In fact the increased testosterone produced by people who frequently exercise, added to damage to your lower regions by excessive cycling, probably caused my problems.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

One of our TVF Longevity Principles, or rather Excuses for doing nothing, is No Ironclad Guarantee.

Some health conditions can also raise the odds you’ll get BPH, such as:

Diabetes, heart disease, and problems with blood flow
    Erectile dysfunction
    Obesity

If you use beta blockers -- a type of medication used to treat conditions such as high blood pressure and migraines -- you may be more likely to get BPH.

--https://www.webmd.com/men/prostate-enlargement-bph/can-i-prevent-bph

So, the wiser course is to try to maximize your chances of postponing the issue as long as possible. Been working pretty well for me so far, but I'll agree that it's a losing battle, same as with chronic diseases.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

Sn-i-i-ff! AH! Don't you just love the smell of pesticide in the morning? 

But why can't you do both? Battery all depleted so soon?

image.png.fd2c7678af75405022ec691c1374e19c.png

Yes there is often some dread / hesitation to start.  Talking about a taxing workout though there are easy days too no need to always be pushing for the best. Even a easier workout is better then none at all.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I find it strange that you apparently believe you actually know what I was doing 30 years ago.

Oh, I don't. Just asking for the info, how for example Fate (one of our Principles) determined that you'd have gout, diabetes, rotting teeth, etc.

On 7/20/2021 at 11:55 AM, BigStar said:

Members of the TVF Couch Sitters Assoc. (being very PC here; not fat shaming, nossir) regularly post about diet or exercise regularly to assure themselves that the exciting lifetime of medication really is superior to a boring lifestyle that includes diet & exercise.

Exercise is mindnumbingly boring though, you have to admit. I mean how tedious to run on a treadmill like a hamster, or even to go jogging in the same places time and time and time again. To say nothing of weightlifting, 3 or 4 sets of the same over and over and over and over again. Of course I excercise, we all have to do it, but boy is it tedious.

Of course dieting is even worse, to deprive yourself delicious ice-cream or other things that you would enjoy. Is there anything less joyous than a bodybuilder's diet? Just awful.

Or to go full on nutcracker and go vegan or some such.  How boring are Vegetarian's diet. Horrible. You can take things too far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Exercise is mindnumbingly boring though, you have to admit. I mean how tedious to run on a treadmill like a hamster, or even to go jogging in the same places time and time and time again. To say nothing of weightlifting, 3 or 4 sets of the same over and over and over and over again. Of course I excercise, we all have to do it, but boy is it tedious.

Of course dieting is even worse, to deprive yourself delicious ice-cream or other things that you would enjoy. Is there anything less joyous than a bodybuilder's diet? Just awful.

Or to go full on nutcracker and go vegan or some such.  How boring are Vegetarian's diet. Horrible. You can take things too far.

I think this is really personal, give me weightlifting over cardio any day.  I got more trouble motivating myself to get on the rower or assault bike then doing a weight lifting session. Best is of course a combination of both and i aim for it but im not perfect.

Diet is of course the hardest, but again that is personal. Its so funny how people seem to think that everyone is the same and like the same respond the same. But for me diet is hardest. In general I eat healthy but there are times that i stray. 

For me exercise helps with stress relief. Diet goes better when I exercise and see progress. 

Also some people swear with keto while others like me have tried found it not to give any better results as just eating healthy and less. 

In the end its better to be bit more flexible and keep things going then go full crazy and give up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

I think it can come down to if you feel you are succeeding or not. If you can keep progressing or at least maintain where you are at  it can make you feel good.  I am surprised how many need personal trainers at the gym. Just get on with it. Don't expect amazing results - just maintenance is fine. 

I am in lockdown here which means the gym is closed so I am going running in the local hills and some other stuff - better than nothing. 

Find something fun. The gym had these ebikes where you could compete with other people in other countries. That was fun - whether it was to get to the top 1000 or top 100 or no 1 in the world. I got in the top 100 or so for speed in some things but got to no 1 in one game for a while and it was fun. Less people played it but still fun. So if you have the dough or a good gym I recommend it. My gym stopped supporting the bikes and that was that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I think this is really personal, give me weightlifting over cardio any day.  I got more trouble motivating myself to get on the rower or assault bike then doing a weight lifting session. Best is of course a combination of both and i aim for it but im not perfect.

Diet is of course the hardest, but again that is personal. Its so funny how people seem to think that everyone is the same and like the same respond the same. But for me diet is hardest. In general I eat healthy but there are times that i stray. 

For me exercise helps with stress relief. Diet goes better when I exercise and see progress. 

Also some people swear with keto while others like me have tried found it not to give any better results as just eating healthy and less. 

In the end its better to be bit more flexible and keep things going then go full crazy and give up.

The most fun for me is ball games, whether it's tennis, football or basketball. But of course it's neither aerobic nor weights.

Yes, for me weights also are more fun than cardio, obviously, but as intellectual endeavours go it's not the most thrilling. I know there are some people who just adore weight lifting. I just can never get the same fun out of it, that I could get out of a BBall practice. It's something that I know I have to do, and I do it to get through it. But it's not for joy really.

52 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

The most fun for me is ball games, whether it's tennis, football or basketball. But of course it's neither aerobic nor weights.

Yes, for me weights also are more fun than cardio, obviously, but as intellectual endeavours go it's not the most thrilling. I know there are some people who just adore weight lifting. I just can never get the same fun out of it, that I could get out of a BBall practice. It's something that I know I have to do, and I do it to get through it. But it's not for joy really.

I played tennis but i lack good coordination skills so not a sport i am good at. I am good at swimming and diving and like diving a lot. I am not sure there is much fun in weightlifting for me. But i love it when i had a hard workout. It feels satisfying when done. I don't hit new heavier weights anymore. At times i go a bit up and a bit down but not past certain points anymore. Been lifting too long to be able to make much strength progress. 

I care more for the effort i put in it during a session then the weights i lift. Today I was training with some friends who are in our bubble (got my own home gym) one of them had trouble doing 40 kg bench press. Not completing the set yet he went on to 45KG and asked me to spot him. Had to help almost every rep. I don't see the point in that. But I have given up trying to change peoples mind about training. I give advice at times but if they don't take it fine train how you want. Not my concern. 

One of my GF her friends (female) did squat a few times with my gf after that her normal exercises she did for legs did not feel heavy anymore (because after a few sessions she added 25% extra weight to the bar). She wondered why that was. I told her squat is far more effective then what you did (mainly isolation stuff). But I am not going to tell anyone what to do. I mean it should not be a task someone hates to do.

I feel people should just find something they enjoy to do and can keep doing. In my opinion consistency is more important than the perfect exercises ect. If someone likes walking go walk, if you like biking go bike. Whatever just do something. 

And if someone hates exercise then its their choice. 

26 minutes ago, robblok said:

I played tennis but i lack good coordination skills so not a sport i am good at. I am good at swimming and diving and like diving a lot. I am not sure there is much fun in weightlifting for me. But i love it when i had a hard workout. It feels satisfying when done. I don't hit new heavier weights anymore. At times i go a bit up and a bit down but not past certain points anymore. Been lifting too long to be able to make much strength progress. 

I care more for the effort i put in it during a session then the weights i lift. Today I was training with some friends who are in our bubble (got my own home gym) one of them had trouble doing 40 kg bench press. Not completing the set yet he went on to 45KG and asked me to spot him. Had to help almost every rep. I don't see the point in that. But I have given up trying to change peoples mind about training. I give advice at times but if they don't take it fine train how you want. Not my concern. 

One of my GF her friends (female) did squat a few times with my gf after that her normal exercises she did for legs did not feel heavy anymore (because after a few sessions she added 25% extra weight to the bar). She wondered why that was. I told her squat is far more effective then what you did (mainly isolation stuff). But I am not going to tell anyone what to do. I mean it should not be a task someone hates to do.

I feel people should just find something they enjoy to do and can keep doing. In my opinion consistency is more important than the perfect exercises ect. If someone likes walking go walk, if you like biking go bike. Whatever just do something. 

And if someone hates exercise then its their choice. 

Isn't the negative rep with help supposed to be a good stress on the muscle?

I wouldn't say I hate weights, but yah, it's nothing like a fun ball game.  Of course afterwards you feel great. I guess not everything in life has to be or should be fun.

Humans have evolved as hunters . To hunt you have to move , especially as we began as nomads  . Our diet consisted of fruit ,  nuts , plants and meat when available now and then . Modern life has changed the way we eat and exercise . Our bodies have evolved over a very long time . Good to go back to basics .

4 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Isn't the negative rep with help supposed to be a good stress on the muscle?

I wouldn't say I hate weights, but yah, it's nothing like a fun ball game.  Of course afterwards you feel great. I guess not everything in life has to be or should be fun.

Sure a negative rep can help, but im talking about 6 reps that needed help and they were not negative. (negative as far as i know is letting it go down slow and while the other party lifts it up). This was just trying to do normal reps with help. But I tried to explain things a few times but if im not believed then so be it. No worries its their workout not mine. 

Sure i like stuff like badminton too its more fun to do then lifting weights. I did it a few times in Thailand too, problem was there was no aircon and i sweat easy so the court got slippery ????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, itsari said:

Humans have evolved as hunters . To hunt you have to move , especially as we began as nomads  . Our diet consisted of fruit ,  nuts , plants and meat when available now and then . Modern life has changed the way we eat and exercise . Our bodies have evolved over a very long time . Good to go back to basics .

Humans also evolved as highly promiscuous <deleted>-anything hominids, much like Chimpanzees and Bonobos still do today. Modern life didn't just change the way we eat and exercise. Now we no longer have to fight other males to gain access to women, the lower-ranked male has evolved the provisioning strategy, providing food in exchange for faithful women. We shouldn't go too far back to basics or else you'll have to fight other males for your woman, who'll be entirely unfaithful when the next fitter male comes along. Then you really have to work out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

Yes and no, the caveman theory has some holes in it just that they ate it does not mean it was optimal. It was just what was available and when there was famine the suffered. Would that mean we need famine ? Same like that certain fruits were not available all year like now. Does that mean we can't eat these foods all year. Plus the local differences were huge, some lived of fish others of meat. There was no one caveman diet.

Stuff like that. What i do agree with is that the more unprocessed food is better for us then the highly processed foods we buy. I believe in what Bruce Lee said. “Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless and add what is specifically your own”

What we can learn from those times IMHO is eat less  processed foods. Also you cannot compare the fruits of back then with those of now. Does not mean fruit is bad but to think that back then things were best is a bit strange. I mean there was no medical care does that mean we should go without. Just take the best things from those times and use them and add things. 

That is my opinion anyway.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

Selective perception. You know? Everyone I know has been divorced but then found a suitable partner with whom they're happy. They didn't use their divorce as an excuse to run and cry in their old bathwater. Onward and upward, my man.

Already addressed previously:

Given that you continue to make your comments about ME, and not the OP, I'll just have to let you talk to the hand.

????

10 hours ago, itsari said:

Well, not too far back though

https://www.verywellhealth.com/longevity-throughout-history-2224054

After comparing the proportion of those who died young with those who died at an older age, the team concluded that longevity only began to significantly increase—that is, past the age of 30 or so—about 30,000 years ago, which is quite late in the span of human evolution.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know any men that live happily nowadays. Most of them are divorced.

Actually almost everyone I know has been divorced, whatever their gender.

If anything other than marriage had such a high failure rate, people would probably have stopped doing it long ago.

For some reason, people still think marriage is a "good idea". I can't say I really understand it, but perhaps they think their future partner is "different".

Why do you equate happiness with having a spouse? There are many other things that can give pleasure, enlightenment and wonder. There is a whole Universe of wonder out there both macro and microcosms not to mention the wonderment of Nature right here. There is more out there that can give wonderment than you could fill in a hundred lifetimes.

4 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Why do you equate happiness with having a spouse? There are many other things that can give pleasure, enlightenment and wonder. There is a whole Universe of wonder out there both macro and microcosms not to mention the wonderment of Nature right here. There is more out there that can give wonderment than you could fill in a hundred lifetimes.

I don't. I equate it with having a lovely Thai girl in my life, but not married to her. Doesn't even have to be the same one for longer than a month.

Up to me marriage would be banned.

I've actually had a lot of nature in my life, and still enjoy it, but IMO nothing is as good as waking up next to a woman one actually likes.

If that's too basic for you, I can't help that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't. I equate it with having a lovely Thai girl in my life, but not married to her. Doesn't even have to be the same one for longer than a month.

Up to me marriage would be banned.

I've actually had a lot of nature in my life, and still enjoy it, but IMO nothing is as good as waking up next to a woman one actually likes.

If that's too basic for you, I can't help that.

Ha, Too basic? ????Don't think so. You are on a wind up. Never mind eh and may you never meet a DV.

I usually walk into town (8 km there and back) to buy some wholemeal bread each day, stop off for a very decent salad and Lao coffee, then walk home again.  I could do that trip in 10 minutes on my motorbike, but I prefer to walk for exercise, and also to enjoy the wonders of nature as I walk along, see what the village folk are doing etc.  IMHO, longevity is all about eating healthily, doing exercise and having minimal stress.  I've attained all 3 (I eliminated the stress by getting divorced for the 3rd time and living alone...)

On 7/21/2021 at 8:01 PM, BigStar said:

Im never taking meds. Let things be.