My iPhone XS Max did not bounce well

PFMills

I am in the unfortunate position of needing a new Screen and back glass for my iPhone XS Max.  Whilst bike riding I hit a bump and it bounced out of the holder.  

I have received some advice from a friend, he is suggesting to look for a soft OLED screen … whatever that is. I might have to settle for something less.

I have made a few enquiries and prices vary so much and anyway I wouldn’t know if I’m being stitched up or not. I suppose that I could ask them to light up the screen for me to see.  

So can anyone recommend a shop in the Bangkok/Nonthaburi area that maybe partly reputable.

Another option is to buy from a reputable AliExpress seller… I maybe could change the screen myself but maybe not the back glass.

Any recommendation/opinions appreciated

My brand new MacBook Air bounced really well on the road.......it was closed and slipped out of my hands.....bounced on all four corners somehow?......but still working fine.....busy filing down the corners now.....phew!

2 hours ago, PFMills said:

I have made a few enquiries and prices vary so much and anyway I wouldn’t know if I’m being stitched up or not. I suppose that I could ask them to light up the screen for me to see.  

There are a variety of qualities of screen available, the cheap ones are not good quality and easy to see how bad they are , the best way to get the original quality is to get apple to repair it. 

there are YouTube videos showing them. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Sell it and get a new phone

I have to admit that the thought had crossed my mind. But it 'was' a nice phone, would have cost 50Kthb when new. I didn't directly pay for it as it came 'free' with the car. Probably MB felt so sorry for me for been so 'kin silly for buying one of their cars.   

The usual ‘go to place’ for any repairs such as this is one of the shops in MBK. 

That would be my ‘go to’ for any phone repair. 

I know its not Nonthaburi - but its a ‘sure thing’ and reliable - they can probably repair your phone in a few hours. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are a variety of qualities of screen available, the cheap ones are not good quality and easy to see how bad they are , the best way to get the original quality is to get apple to repair it. 

there are YouTube videos showing them. 

, the best way to get the original quality is to get apple to repair it. 

Very true, but rather expensive compared to sourcing elsewhere. Yes, it will be worth a lot less if I wanted to sell but I don't. 

1 hour ago, PFMills said:

, the best way to get the original quality is to get apple to repair it. 

Very true, but rather expensive compared to sourcing elsewhere. Yes, it will be worth a lot less if I wanted to sell but I don't. 

Is it?

Probably nowhere near as much difference as you suggest if you actually price a repair using the same quality display as was used originally.

You can certainly save by using a lower quality display or an apple seconds one but that depends on your choice of wallet over eyes

FWIW I think that the rear glass is a much more difficult replacement than the screen, I have recently watched a demonstration of a laser that is designed to burn off the adhesive that holds the back glass, but I don’t think it’s generally available yet. 

23 minutes ago, josthomz said:

Not really, in the case of an iPhone XS Max, Apple charges $329 (or equivalent in THB)

2122748941_ScreenShot2021-07-03at6_50_04PM.png.a8cad179a11b6224641d8471420fb874.png

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/screen-replacement

A top-notch (best) aftermarket screen could cost around $100, and you would have to have a very fine eye to tell the difference at all. Even a $60-$70 aftermarket screen is good for probably 90% of the people who wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless comparing them side by side. 

Now, if we talk about a $15 aftermarket screen which wouldn't even be OLED, what in the original screen looks black, in the cheapish aftermarket one it would look dark grey.... 

Since the display is an AMOLED panel , and the digitizer are replaced as a single part. they are rather more expensive than you suggest & the Face ID parts have to be saved & even then the true tone will be lost, I don’t know if it will be retained by an apple replacement but suspect that it will. 

So as i said you can get a phone with a screen that works, possibly Face ID, but no true tone for cheap. 

2 hours ago, ronster said:

Suggest getting a spigen armor case when fixed . Have dropped phones god knows how many times with their cases on and not a scratch on phone .

I took it out of the case because it wouldn’t fit into the phone holder on my bike. 

Now I have a case that will and some velcro to strap across the holder.

tks

• Like 1

I went to Dr. MacBook earlier today and they fitted an OLED screen. With the new screen protector it looks better than before.

They suggested not changing the back glass due to them not having a laser. Apparently on this phone it’s a big job if you don’t have one.

Very pleased with the service I received at Dr MacBook.. can highly recommend them

21 minutes ago, PFMills said:

I went to Dr. MacBook earlier today and they fitted an OLED screen. With the new screen protector it looks better than before.

They suggested not changing the back glass due to them not having a laser. Apparently on this phone it’s a big job if you don’t have one.

Very pleased with the service I received at Dr MacBook.. can highly recommend them

How much? 

I've used them a couple times but I think they've moved...