Academics: Thai govt does not provide enough vaccine options for citizens and insists on buying the Sinovac vaccine

Telling it like it really is. And I would bet anything these overly entitled ninnies would have the Pfizer or Moderna flown in just for themselves. And you think they even considered taking the lower quality, lower cost vaccine, designated for us commoners, to save some money?

Prayuth practices what could be referred to a scorched earth form of governance. Destroy everything and everyone within your sight, including the industry that made up $110,000,000,000 of your economy annually. Tourism in Thailand. Gone, baby gone. For good. Permanent destruction. 

They might have saved some money, by giving us only the lower quality options. But, they sure succeeded in sabotaging their economy for years to come, not to mention the possibility that they have destroyed tourism permanently. With the cases going up daily, do they really think they can attract more than a few hundred international tourists a day? In reality, it is far more dangerous for foreigners who are bold enough to come here now, having gotten vaccinated and tested, than it is for Thais who are exposed to them. There should be no restrictions placed on them, whatsoever. Welcome to Thailand. Thanks a million for coming. What can we do to make your trip more pleasurable, and to show our gratitude? 

Edited by spidermike007

On 7/4/2021 at 5:44 AM, sirineou said:

Are, Moderna  and Pfizer as available for purchase and delivery as Sinovac and at the same price? And is Moderna  and Pfizer as easy to ship and maintain in provincial settings?  

I read in a Bloomberg article about Thailand that price differences would not warrant a decision  based on that. And as for storage, the vaccines are shipped in appropriately temp controlled bulk containers, they remain in these until dispensed. 

Western nations family clinics are no more more prepared for storing a sub zero vaccine in bulk than anywhere in the third world, so it has to ship as a self contained unit. 

On 7/4/2021 at 11:14 AM, connda said:

[snipped]  A move that placated the critics and will milk that wallets of foreigners and well-heeled Thais.

They did not placate this critic.

IMO They are the biggest collection of assorted sex organs ever to claim a stake in humanity.

Yesterday the local post said that Moderna would likely be received in October.  Today it says that it will likely arrive in January.  I am in the Moderna queue at Bumrungrad so I called them to check.  They are as confused as I am.  The paper says that the GPO has been working to buy vaccines since February 25th.  As we read in yesterday's paper, the AOG  has received no contracts to review except for Sinovac and AstraZeneca.  The government has allocated no funds to buy Moderna so it won't be ordered until people have paid up front.   The government has the money, though, to buy 28 million more doses of Sinovac.  

As kuhnBENQ pointed out, the foreign vaccines are being kept out.  The government will not spend one satang on any foreign vaccine.  I wonder how many peoples lives will be lost as a result.  Does anybody in the government care?  The GPO says that the government has procured vaccines from five manufacturers but apparently no orders have been placed for  J&J, Pfizer or Sputnik V despite the current crisis so apparently "procure" means arranged to buy, not purchased.

Of course Thailand can buy 100000000000+ of doses of Pfizer right now. Does it mean Thailand will get it soon?
We saw that Philippines got their 193 050 doses (sic!) of mRNA vaccine after a huge delay of 3 months.
https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2021/5/10/pfizer-vaccines-arrive.html
Philippines waited one more month to get another 2,282,850 doses package:
https://ph.usembassy.gov/over-2-million-us-supported-pfizer-biontech-vaccines-arrive-in-cebu-davao-and-manila/
And Sinovac packages are being delivered almost every week. This is the difference.

Edited by friendofthai

14 hours ago, chalawaan said:

I read in a Bloomberg article about Thailand that price differences would not warrant a decision  based on that. And as for storage, the vaccines are shipped in appropriately temp controlled bulk containers, they remain in these until dispensed. 

Western nations family clinics are no more more prepared for storing a sub zero vaccine in bulk than anywhere in the third world, so it has to ship as a self contained unit. 

To be honest , I dont know. The above was only my opinion. . Like everything else in life, it is probably a combination of many factors. Was there corruption? I am sure there was some, Did Availability drive acquisition?  When doesn't it? . Are logistics a factor? Always!

Bloomberg is a trashed source , I would appreciate a link to that Bloomberg article if you can find it.