What is the story with hospitals announcing Moderna sign ups and then almost immediately saying they are completely full

Thomas J

Like many I saw that Bangkok Hospital had announced that starting July 1 you could sign up for Moderna.  "Reportedly" the site opened at 12:00 and was shut down at 12:30 am.  Some unconfirmed reports said 60 people were able to register.  Today, got a text from Ramathibodi Hospital saying they were taking reservations for Moderna.  I immediately went to the site and it too says full.  

How can pre-orders be filled.  I thought the purpose of the registration was to have the various hospitals report to the government what supply of vaccine they should order on their behalf.  Have the hospitals been notified of some specific amount of vaccine that has been allocated to them? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lorry said:

There are several reasons. 

Mahidol: list opened today. But all slots had already been taken by staff and friends and family of staff. Even Thais couldn't register today. 

Bangkok Hospital: opened 5 days ago, for Thais only. The refusal to open for farang came from the top. Opened for farang today, for cosmetic reasons: no slots left anyway, and that's exactly how it was planned. 

Princ Hospital Group allowed pre-registration and today opened for payment. I had already registered the other day so upon receiving a message that I could now pay starting at 9 a.m., I tried but was unsuccessful despite probably more than 30 attempts. Finally, a message appeared on the screen advising that they were temporarily closing payment registration due a system overload. 

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Princ Hospital Group allowed pre-registration and today opened for payment. I had already registered the other day so upon receiving a message that I could now pay starting at 9 a.m., I tried but was unsuccessful despite probably more than 30 attempts. Finally, a message appeared on the screen advising that they were temporarily closing payment registration due a system overload. 

It's almost as if there is lots of demand to get vaccinated or something.  Who'd a thunk.  It's not like that didn't happen in pretty every single other country in the world at first.  Including strained websites and initial bugs.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, shdmn said:

It's almost as if there is lots of demand to get vaccinated or something.  Who'd a thunk.  It's not like that didn't happen in pretty every single other country in the world at first.  Including strained websites and initial bugs.

But doesn't it seem strange that hospitals offering bookings for Moderna for a fee are getting overloaded when the gov't supplied Astra and Sino are free? It couldn't possibly be compounded by a lack of confidence in the gov't's wonderful vaccines, could it? Especially, when those making the bookings realize that they will have to wait for much longer to get Moderna than the gov't offerings.   

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

unless you know how much vaccine has been allotted to your hospital in advance.

They know.

They have "ordered" a certain number of doses.

What's happening now is not to gauge the demand.  They guessed the demand a long time ago. At that time,  they didn't think a third wave, caused by government,  would be so serious. At the time,  they also thought the government's vaccination programme would more or less work. They also underestimated the Thais' distrust of Sinovac and Astra.

And they didn't factor in the tight price controls (on a free market, Bangkok Hospital could sell Moderna for 30000 - that would be profitable; at 3400 there is no profit).

• Like 2

"What is the story..."

A story as old as man.

Supply and demand.

19 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Have the hospitals been notified of some specific amount of vaccine that has been allocated to them? 

Yes.

Look Thais are desperate for a real vaccine. Most of the sites are in Thai (not all), and most advertise on Facebook.

Unless your smart, savvy, plugged in you're at the back of line.

10 hours ago, impulse said:

It's like concert tickets.  Go on sale at 5:00PM.  Sold out at 5:03PM.

One assumes there will be a secondary market, but fraught with risk, and quite high prices.

Edited by mtls2005

23 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

A story as old as man.

Supply and demand.

Again that makes no sense.  If I don't know exactly how many doses of vaccine I am getting, how can I know to close the queue.  I thought the entire process was to assess how much vaccine to order. 

• Like 1

Thomasj - you are totally correct.  Just like most of the odd games that senior people come up thinking that over half the world is chomping at the bit to come here, yet then someone more senior shoots down that particular game.  Now this latest seemed to me to be a govt sponsored game that was allowing the group of private hospitals to play their game for July wherein people registered and prepaid monies for moderna vaccine.  At the end of July, they would then know how many doses they needed to satisfy their customers what had already paid the fee (included in that fee was hospital costs too).  When I checked to see which hospitals were members of that group, Bangkok Hospital (I think all locations), Chiangmai Ram, etc are members so I immediately contacted Bangkok Hospital as that is where I and my family get our annual shots and any treatment needed during the year.  They had no idea whatsoever what I was talking about - just like the earlier one where the CM governor said he would have the private hospitals jab ex-pats free of charge - again Bangkok Hospital said they had heard nothing about either.  Then I notice on this forum that other Bangkok Hospitals opened up for this trial yet shut down almost immediately, then CMRam ran their ad and I noticed that they were open for business for 5 minutes before shutting down.  I also noticed that there was reportedly a "queue around the block" to get in for the registration, phones went unanswered, etc while some people said they drove 2 hours to get in the queue.  I guess after being here so many years I should ignore all "plans" of the govt or quasi govt!  Hopefully we will get a vaccine b4 the virus.  I notice earlier about the story and Sinovac - with govt getting lots of Pfizer and possible plans to jab those senior people that already have the Sinovac which might not help them with Variant D.  Good luck

• Thanks 2

The Bangkok hospital in Ratchaburi you had to walking to reserve a Moderna vaccination.  They told us they found out about it at 1am that day.  They were allocated 5,000 doses.  They  called us at home around 8am.  It was packed when we arrived and to over 4 hours to register and pay.  It had already sold out and stopped taking reservations about 2 hours before we finished.  I was the only farang I saw there.  So a lot of Thais want the better vaccines and are willing to pay for them.  I think you have to remember that Thais so far have been limited access for the free vaccines unless over 60 or with underlying conditions.  Unless they work for a company/organization that has arranged for them. 

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rwill said:

The Bangkok hospital in Ratchaburi you had to walking to reserve a Moderna vaccination.  They told us they found out about it at 1am that day.  They were allocated 5,000 doses.  They  called us at home around 8am.  It was packed when we arrived and to over 4 hours to register and pay.  It had already sold out and stopped taking reservations about 2 hours before we finished.  I was the only farang I saw there.  So a lot of Thais want the better vaccines and are willing to pay for them.

Lots of rumors flying around so who knows if true.  Supposedly the hospitals getting the Moderna vaccine made the queue available to Thai's a few days ahead of the general public.  By the time it was open all the slots were already or predominately booked. 

I still don't understand how that does not just cause the hospitals to pass on to the government a request for additional vaccines since people documented with deposits have ordered them on their system.  Now the vaccines might not come until late 2021 or even 2022 but isn't that preferable than just saying no more registrations. 

One of the effects of this program may well be that people who would have opted for the Sinovac have now put down deposits and hence will wait, even if it proves out that the Moderna is late or for that matter never arrives.  That will leave even a greater number of people with Zero protection.  

Absolute concrete evidence of why you never ever want the government running anything particularly your health care program. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GarryP said:

how much are princ asking for a deposit 2300thb ish or the whole amount 3400thb ish

12 hours ago, Lorry said:

They have "ordered" a certain number of doses.

What's happening now is not to gauge the demand

You could be correct but I have read other places that it was to gauge how much to order since the vaccines had to be paid for before they would be shipped.  By demanding money up front the hospitals would pay the government and the government would not order more than what was demanded. 

Also, I talked to one hospital this morning.  They said their registration was currently closed but they were planning on re-opening it for registrations and to keep abreast of announcements on their Facebook page.   If they already were allocated a specific amount and that was filled, how would there then be any thought of re-opening for more reservations.  You had to pay to be reserved so it is not like they had people reserve and not pay. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, steve187 said:

how much are princ asking for a deposit 2300thb ish or the whole amount 3400thb ish

I couldn't get in so am not sure whether they wanted a deposit of the full amount of 3,400 or a smaller amount.  I have started trying to login again this morning but no success so far. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

how would there then be any thought of re-opening for more reservations. 

That will be for jabs later, like next year.

In theory,  4m will come this year. 

5 minutes ago, poskat said:

they probably send out notices in thai first, and then when the supply runs out, the english language notice goes out

Bangkok Hospital put it out in  Thai first.

English came yesterday.  I have heard that some English-speakers were actually able to register,  but it was closed soon. 

Edited by Lorry

Just now, Lorry said:

That will be for jabs later, like next year.

In theory,  4m will come this year. 

Even so, there is no timeframe given even with any of the sign ups.  Why would you close them and then say, to keep abreast "daily" for when the site would start taking reservations again. 

If they had lets say sign up for delivery in Oct. and then closed it with a second one with expected delivery in November I could understand.  However the person I talked to said they were expecting to re-open the site to registration.  
The entire process is convoluted.  You either know, or you don't know how much vaccine you are receiving.  You either are as a hospital, pre booking for requests to the government for vaccines that you require or you are not. 

There has been no indication on any of the sign up sites that the registration was limited to any specific number of people or to only the amount of vaccine that has been allocated.   Why if you are a hospital, would you stop gauging the amount of vaccine that you should be requesting even if that is not an amount that is currently on order or an amount that has been reportedly allocated to your hospital. 

• Thanks 1

the narrative concerns foreign residents  so far as i can see,understandable.we see cases going up each day and the testings thin on the ground to say the least.the real figs must be higher.so that leaves us foreigners in a difficult position.apps ha ha ha.easily manipulated to exclude who you wish or they just pass us as our passport nos etc dont fit,why is that?what official no are we supposed to use?reading thai is not on for most of us and a barrier[its easy to have a translation into english that most nations people can read we see this on almost all websites worldwide] and even if it is we are excluded based on race in many cases.so the solutions is clear before we see a large no of deaths.....what china and france have done.china vaccs come with the stipulation that their people must get the jab.understandable,why dont the brits do the same re AZ vacc,its the best one out there at the moment and the figs after dose #2 are over 90% cover close to the pfizer and moderna versions without the DRNA.our only chance is getting our govts to step up as we are smoked like a kipper here.the other possibility is to leave  and get it at home,that would take a long time,cost a lot of money in fares hotels etc and for me its not home,ive no place to stay and know no one.this is where ive been ,asia/latam that is for the last 30+ yrs.most of my life.AZ shot is a 3 mnth wait between shots and then theres the scam to get back in.i cant come back and stay in my home 10 days even if im fully vacced with  a western shot.so foreign govt you have to help us or we are smoked,do it now and dont wait till the bodies pile up,USA gave this fascist govt a heap of vaccs why on earth didnt they stipulate that yanks get shot too,we see the bizarre case where thais fly to USA to get a shot for free no questions asked.what can you say its staring u in the face.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Lorry said:

There are several reasons. 

Mahidol: list opened today. But all slots had already been taken by staff and friends and family of staff. Even Thais couldn't register today. 

Bangkok Hospital: opened 5 days ago, for Thais only. The refusal to open for farang came from the top. Opened for farang today, for cosmetic reasons: no slots left anyway, and that's exactly how it was planned. 

This is a fact of life in Thailand.  The entire country is wired this way.  Those with connections get first access, the public be da*med.
Those wanting Western vaccines may find they can finally sign up sometime in the fourth quarter of 2021 to receive their mRNA shots in the second quarter of 2022.  Those who are afraid?  You can get AstraZeneca this year. 
Thumbs-up.jpg.97f10820e803031ff4bdfa29f11a7dc8.jpg

• Like 1