Tipping For Water Bottle Delivery

Jingthing

I get water bottles delivered to my condo regularly. What if anything are people tipping for this? My thought was you wouldn't really need to tip for a "utility" service like this, but based on the lack of smiles from the watermen at my small keep the small change from the bills tip, I realize I may be wrong. Or maybe they just are miserable guys who wouldn't smile anyway.

So, what amount is "proper"?

Edited by Jingthing

I'm talking really no tip at all, I am owed 5 baht change so I just don't ask for the change. Realize that I didn't think you had to tip at all for this kind of delivery. I wouldn't in my home country for that kind of utility service. So, am I wrong? Would Thais tip for that?

Edited by Jingthing

I never tip for anything, i just always pay the advertised or agreed price. Why tip, why pay more than an already agreed price?? If they want to add a delivery charge, fair enough as long as i know first. Same with pizza delivery, no tip, ever.

I'm talking really no tip at all, I am owed 5 baht change so I just don't ask for the change. Realize that I didn't think you had to tip at all for this kind of delivery. I wouldn't in my home country for that kind of utility service. So, am I wrong? Would Thais tip for that?

IMHO 33% is a great tip ............................

I get water bottles delivered to my condo regularly. What if anything are people tipping for this? My thought was you wouldn't really need to tip for a "utility" service like this, but based on the lack of smiles from the watermen at my small keep the small change from the bills tip, I realize I may be wrong. Or maybe they just are miserable guys who wouldn't smile anyway.

So, what amount is "proper"?

if you live on the 10th floor and your lifts never working then a wee tip might be appreciated!

We dont tip them but at New Years we give them something.

New Year is a good time to acknowledge the people who help life go on.

The dustmen, the road sweeper in your Soi or Estate, the water man etc

There's no tipping required for utility-related services. Who would tip the (electricity) power company or the garbage man? The same applies for bottled drinking water.

Here in Phontong District, the price for the giant-size bottles is 10 baht per-refill. The first time you buy one, there's an 80 baht deposit on the bottle. Tipping is unheard of here.

Tipping in Thailand, incidentally, is a Western cultural introduction. Actually, much could be said in a separate thread dedicated to the subject of tipping (generally) in Thailand.

Who would tip the (electricity) power company or the garbage man?

I would if I was there when he was fixing the electrics or collecting the garbage, or whatever. I can't think of many more unpleasant jobs than being a Bangkok garbage collector - but, for me, I never see them take our garbage so I'm unable to tip them.

Edited by dantilley

We dont tip them but at New Years we give them something.

New Year is a good time to acknowledge the people who help life go on.

The dustmen, the road sweeper in your Soi or Estate, the water man etc

Most general service industry personal don't require a tip & should not expect one. I am sure the owner of the water delivery business would be furious if he knew his staff were expecting a tip from every customer on their delivery rounds.

That said, if the delivery personel are always courtious & friendly, a generous new years or b/day gift is very appropriate.

Cheers,

Soundman.

I am sure the owner of the water delivery business would be furious if he knew his staff were expecting a tip from every customer on their delivery rounds.

Yes, and rightly so - I've never met one of our water / beer delivery guys who expected a tip. But it's always appreciated and it's a nice gesture if you think the service deserves it - but if I ever have one of these guys demand a tip or in some way try to engineer a tip, there's no way they'd get one from me.

I've had it in the occasional restaurant - the waiter saying "tip, tip" as you leave, get the occasional pizza delivery boy who does this too, completely goes against the idea of tipping and results in a tip of exactly 0% being given from me.

My concept of tipping involves reward for extraordinary service or a "bribe" or incentive to provide extra ordinary service.

In Thailand, restaurants in particular, rarely involve extraordinary service, so I rarely tip there.

However, I live in a project where the neighbors put their empty water bottles by the gate and the water is left there as well.

I ask the water delivery boys to bring the bottles into my house and place the bottles in my cabinet for storage, taking the empties with them.

For this service, I usually tip 20 Baht. We are talking of a minimum of 5 bottles or more. Likewise, there are many weeks where I don't take any water, so it is a mere wave off after they ring the bell, something else I had to teach them, as their usual practice is to service the houses in front of which are empty bottles.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

are you non tippers thai? and im talking tipping in restaurants mainly and pizza delivery. cant you spare 20 baht for a tip....lol. guess not from reading this thread.

Different services, different outlook etc.

I tip:

Pizza (food) delivery.

Room service in hotel.

Bell Boy.

Hotel cleaning staff if I've made a big mess.

Service staff in restaurant, karaoke etc.

Trolley boy in super market for taking my groceries to the car.

Car park attendant at restaurant etc.

I do not tip:

Water delivery.

Contract house cleaning staff.

Car wash attendants.

Car service personal.

Noodle stalls. (read everyday food stalls ie. nothing that can be thought of as fine dining)

Petrol station staff.

Gardening staff.

Clothes washing business.

Organised begging gangs. (read organised crime)

Cheers,

Soundman.

Would Thais tip for that?

In my own experience - definitely not !

I totally agree.

Which is why I find it funny that my delivery guys are so unfriendly to me. Since I am living in a building with many farangs, my guess is that many of the farangs are not only tipping for this, but over-tipping. So, here we have the dilemna, does it matter what Thais do in Thailand, or are we somehow obligated to live up to the status quo of expected farang behavior by Thais in Thailand?

I think I will continue to leave them the 5 baht change and endure their grumpiness. So it goes.

Edited by Jingthing