Retirement visa renewal: less than 800K deposited. Now what?

So some one never heard of brown envelop. Thirty yrs ago I know how it worked , you give all your documents to IO in a big envelop in there with document was a smaller brown envelop with back the 1,500 TB never had a problem. A few years later new staff so not knowing what had happen no small brown envelop, no problems at for last 24 yrs.

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No! It's two months before the application, and three months after.

It is NOT three months before.

That really depends on the office you use

My office refused to accept the paper showing 2 month rule, saying 3 months here !

Got fined 2,000 baht for being 1 day late according to their rules

so check with your office, as some make their own rules .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

My office refused to accept the paper showing 2 month rule, saying 3 months here !

Let me guess. Some small provincial office, right?

23 hours ago, Happyland said:

I stupidly miscalculated the money I had to deposit to reach the 800K, 3 months ago. I have planned to go tmorrow to Chaeng Watthana to renew and decided to update my passbook, when I realized in horror that I'm short 18K -not for a lack of funds, but a lack of smarts obviously. I am thinking about still going and hope for the best, i.e. an IO that won't be too picky, since it's not a big amount. I will deposit the missing funds tonight but as soon as they check the passbook they will see that, of course. If that doesn't work, my last resort will be an agent. Any advice? Thank you all.

No problem, go to an visa agent they fix it for 12000 - 24 000 Baht. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joinaman said:

A 2,000 baht fine normally suggests that you were four days short on the required seasoning, and they let you pay a four day overstay, then accepted the application for the extension with the full seasoning period then being satisfied. However, I think it very likely that there is no overstay stamp in your passport, and neither were you given a receipt. If so, you were scammed. I am not sure what I would have done in your situation, but the current rules are definitely two months before and three months after.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

Agent is always the best option. No stupid "seasoning" requirements. Just buy yourself an extension for around five hundred dollars. Yes, it's grossly overpriced but works like a charm for most of us. Sooner or later, they will probably change the rules to force out most of us. Hopefully, the Covid madness will subside and we will have the option of moving to Cambodia or the Philippines. I expect nothing but more problems from Thai Immigration. Farangs are not wanted or needed in their rose-colored vision of what Thailand should be.

It's not legal to obtain an extension from a province you do not live in, which is what most agents do. You can argue the bribe is legal, but from another IO is not, and you will be tied to an agent doing everything for good, at great expense.

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I hate saying this, but an Agent could help you here.

Yes I know.

Thanks all for your ideas and information. At the end of my new visa, I will travel out (hoping it's possible in a year from now), come back with a tourist visa and apply for a new retirement visa, so I can start anew, as suggested by the IO. 

Good luck to all and stay safe.

14 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

It's not legal to obtain an extension from a province you do not live in, which is what most agents do. You can argue the bribe is legal, but from another IO is not, and you will be tied to an agent doing everything for good, at great expense.

In my case that is incorrect. My agent drives me to Chonburi Immigration, where they greet her like an old friend. They take my 500 dollars and my passport and two weeks later, the agent returns my passport with a one year stamp inside. Being "tied" to an agent is immaterial since I plan to leave Thailand as soon as I can.   My agent is also my landlady. If I can't go to the Philippines, I will just pay the insane fee. that Immigration wants until I die.

Edited by Nickelbeer
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

A 2,000 baht fine normally suggests that you were four days short on the required seasoning, and they let you pay a four day overstay, then accepted the application for the extension with the full seasoning period then being satisfied. However, I think it very likely that there is no overstay stamp in your passport, and neither were you given a receipt. If so, you were scammed. I am not sure what I would have done in your situation, but the current rules are definitely two months before and three months after.

i know i was scammed, but what can you do

I showed the lady the papers, in English and in Thai, which shows 2 months, not three, but she says "we need 3 months, come back in 1 days, pay fine and get visa, up tp you "

19 hours ago, tonray said:

You were 1 day late with your application ? or your seasoning was only 1 day short of 3 months ?

my seasoning was i day short of 3 months, not 2 months, but she refused to accept the paper i put in front of her showing 2 months seasoning , so told to come back and pay fine , otherwise no visa .

And people on here say i should treat them with respect ?

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

Agent is always the best option. No stupid "seasoning" requirements. Just buy yourself an extension for around five hundred dollars. Yes, it's grossly overpriced but works like a charm for most of us. Sooner or later, they will probably change the rules to force out most of us. Hopefully, the Covid madness will subside and we will have the option of moving to Cambodia or the Philippines. I expect nothing but more problems from Thai Immigration. Farangs are not wanted or needed in their rose-colored vision of what Thailand should be.

which is why i now use an agent in Pattaya, more expensive, but much easier, Drop off one day, pick up next day, plus an excuse for a bit of a holiday too. Really upsets them when i go back to local office for my 90 day, but tough !

• Like 1