Are all landlords scam artists here?

alex88

56 minutes ago, alex88 said:

We already paid the deposit, things like this should be mentioned before the signing of the lease, otherwise this is a pretty shocking scam. 

Never pay more than 1 months deposit.

Consider it payment for the last months water and electricity, and forget the rest.

Makes renting so much easier.

• Like 2

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

What are the "scam" and the "liabilities", they're not asking you to pay anything now are they?   

It doesn't matter if you dispute their valuation as long as the couch, television, curtains and wardrobes are still there, undamaged, when you leave (which is perfectly reasonable to expect).    You won't be paying anything unless you're planning on damaging all those things.

Why did you sign the contract accepting the "old, falling apart wardrobes" and what makes you think that the couch is "40-years old"?  It's not unlikely that the television did cost B35k if it's an older model.

We signed the contract on the premise that these things were all covered by the deposit (as would he the case anywhere else in the world). I've never seen a list lie this, even in Thailand. 

Just now, BritManToo said:

Yeah, but you all want twice as much monthly rent.

too many wine coolers today  BM  .       that is certainly not the case with the 2 farang landlords i know.    I looked around a bit,  as we may be selling,   and i did not see anything even close to the deal we offer.   

oh,  just thought of a third farang landlord i know , on this forum.   His rental is also very well priced .  Some of us want good tenants more than big bucks

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, alex88 said:

We signed the contract on the premise that these things were all covered by the deposit (as would he the case anywhere else in the world). I've never seen a list lie this, even in Thailand. 

"We signed the contract on the premise that these things were all covered by the deposit".

If that's the case that the signed contract said that the deposit covered those items, what's your problem?

If that's not the case and you're not planning on damaging those items, what's the problem?   You haven't been given an invoice that has to be paid on leaving everything undamaged, have you?

9 minutes ago, alex88 said:

I don't think your liability for whatever you damage (or "disappear") that belongs to your landlord is actually limited to the amount you pay as the deposit. That's an unreasonable assumption.

• Like 2

Yeah, hardly all.   Most of my properties are unfurnished, or 'leftover furnished' from the last tenants.   We also typically lease below the market and make it clear that this isn't a 'serviced property' arrangement.   You take care of all the little things dripping faucets, backed up toilets, air con not quite cool enough, etc.... (with maybe the exception of I'll send some guys to take care of a leaking roof).  

I've only not returned deposits in cases where they just moved out without notice.    

• Like 1

The last house we moved into, we were the first tenants. It was a brand new house. 2 level townhouse with 2 bathrooms upstairs and 1 bathroom downstairs. We paid 1 month deposit + 1 month rent. 

The upstairs bathroom got plugged and wouldn’t flush. The water started leaking into floor and dripping down to the living room downstairs. 

At this time we had 1 child and my wife was pregnant. We informed the landlord and the Moohbaahn sent workers to fix it. Each time they made the problem worse. 

They were cutting holes in the ceiling, toilet water leaking everywhere, cutting holes in the kitchen trying to find the plumbing. An absolute nightmare.  My 7 months pregnant wife had to keep going downstairs to use the toilet and the downstairs was torn about. The kitchen was filled with dust from “repairs”.

The house was a uninhabitable and the landlord refused our deposit and blamed the problem on us. 

Turns out. there was some how concrete in the plumbing from construction. 

Edited by LeatFingies

I have lived in three or four different places since I’ve been in Thailand I’ve always got my deposit back in full first I would not sign that replacement furniture stuff I would speak with the owner and I would not sign that I think your landlord is thinking in advance how to keep all of your deposit TIT

• Like 1

With my real estate background although here in Thailand many things still apply?   First, just because a person have the ability to own property doesn't mean they should!

Here in Thailand independent owners in general have no regards to contract make up the rules as they go along, renters are no better they sign and have no idea what was signed?

In your statement double the deposit if you felt this way why did you sign?  This was a major red flag!  Did you expect something better after that?  Leave if you can and cut your loses that includes the double deposit which you weren't have gotten back even if you left under the terms of the contract.

• Confused 1

On 7/6/2021 at 8:40 PM, fishtank said:

No. Only the Thai ones.

Sorry to disappoint you but my wife is the owner of a block of ten apartments and a small motel.

The tenants and guests are treated very fairly and for example she often allows the tenants to break the lease agreement without penalty when they have had to leave early.

Unfortunately it is not always reciprocated it’s amazing what people manage to steal even  the wooden numbers attached the keys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2021 at 8:10 PM, alex88 said:

We already paid the deposit, things like this should be mentioned before the signing of the lease, otherwise this is a pretty shocking scam. 

Things like this should have been clarified by you before signing, not waiting for some disclosure from the landlord.

On 7/6/2021 at 8:25 PM, CharlieH said:

Seems to me thats not actual value thats "replacement" value.

Lucky its only replacement, when i was a kid in uk, my nan took me to Lyons tea rooms in London, she told me if you break a plate or the like, you must pay for it AND for a new one! true story even if off subject .

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 8:29 PM, alex88 said:

Who said anything about a <deleted>hole? I rented a nice place with good terms. And then the terms were changed weeks after the lease was signed and deposit had been paid. 

Terms can't be changed without your consent (and signature). Ask them to remove all the items on the list.

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Like 2

On 7/6/2021 at 8:23 PM, worgeordie said:

No not all.. you just have to take photos before you move in,

and why did you move into a <deleted>h&le when there is plenty

of choice about,  and it does work both ways, we had a tenant,

steal A/c 's, curtains and even teak doors, we were lucky it

was unfurnished ,  PS ,if you have 4 property or less,its no illegal to take 2 months security

regards worgeordie

Exactly my thought too, nothing illegal about the 2 months... 

46 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Lucky its only replacement, when i was a kid in uk, my nan took me to Lyons tea rooms in London, she told me if you break a plate or the like, you must pay for it AND for a new one! true story even if off subject .

You could have suggested you nan to change for another brand of tea. 555555

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

You could have suggested you nan to change for another brand of tea. 555555

PG, Tetley, didn't have Tea Rooms.  As an antidote, (Tate &) Lyons being the biggest sugar makers in England, had a golden lion as their symbol, my uncle was a sign writer for them, and used to paint it all over the country, he moved to NZ and worked for Lion Beer, still painting <deleted> golden Lions. LMFO. sorry I drifted into the past.

• Haha 1

So they have your deposit.

They have given you a replacement value list of furnishings in the house.

When you finish your lease they will check that these items are still there,

so at this point nobody has "scammed anybody

On 7/6/2021 at 8:24 PM, tifino said:

ask them to take away all those unwanted things...  

Tell them as above to take out these things and that you have your own.

If the house is so poorly furnished, why move in in the first place?

There is so much choice available, I can't understand why you accepted this, even in Udon there are choices.

Also, take photographs, tell them you are unhappy, refuse to sign the inventory and call their bluff, stating you want your deposits back and will look for something else and tell them you feel they are not treating you fairly.

Then let us know here, their response!.....????????

????????