Are all landlords scam artists here?

alex88

On 7/6/2021 at 8:47 PM, alex88 said:

Yeah we are trying to get them to remove the stuff. The furniture is all cheap stuff that they claim is worth a fortune. We don't want it. We want to put our own furniture in. 

Then ask for a reduction in rent (and refund some deposit) for the "unfurnished" house!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo

Tell them to take all items away or you will dump them in the street! Deposit plus list of items they intend offsetting at end against the deposit is outrageous! Did they tell you they were doing a priced list of delapidations before you moved in? Don't sign anything and give them photographic evidence of condition which you took when you moved in! And ask them to replace the unusable items they have listed.

We are landlords and accept normal wear and tear but do visit monthly to check

Edited by chilly07
  • Like 2

On 7/6/2021 at 8:45 PM, alex88 said:

Yeah I've seen a lot of that. But the list was 178,000 baht extra in addition to deposit. 

I dont know how much the 2 Months Deposit is worth, but if you keep trying to beat this Landlord, you will not win.

My advice would be to just put it down to experience and walk away

• Like 1

The answer to your question is definitely no! Quite a few members on this forum have commended their landlords for being fair and honest.

If one (Thai or foreigner) has been a landlord for very long with multiple properties, they will tell you there are good and bad tenants. Contracts are written up supposedly to protect both landlord and tenant but often they are loaded in the Landlords favour.

This thing about 2 month deposits and a further month up front poses a problem right from the beginning of the relationship particularly when the amounts are quite large like upwards of B30,000 per month, where losing most of it looms with those experienced tenants.

From my personal experience, I have received my deposits at the B30,000 level even when I left 2 months before the contract officially ended. A really nice Thai Landlord.

Careful to spend good time on examining the entire contract and ensure that there is a proper inventory in place that you BOTH agree on, and signed at the same time, actually in place and in a condition you both agree on, too

This takes time but an awful lot less than a potential disagreement that might even involve the law.

Nothing new to see here; there are many historic posts on Thaivisa.com of landlord's unscrupulous goings on. 

Your a Farang ( I assume) so you are fair game for all Thais as the goose that laid the golden egg.

It really depends on the landlord.  But short answer, no.

I once rented a Townhouse for 6M contract.  (Then went back to home Country.)
So on final day, the Lady owner came with helper (for final cleanout), checked all the rooms for damage and things.  Everything was fine.

She pulled the deposit out of her pocket, and paid me back in full.

Second case, rented a house, end of 1Y term.  After their inspection, said I damaged matress in 2nd bedroom, and maybe some misc.  It was a bedroom I rarely used, and matress already messed up.
Anyway, ended up getting a little under 50% of deposit back.
Back story, the owners I believe were having some financial difficulty, so...
(House is still for sale as of today also, a few years later)

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  Its all about the people.

• Like 1

No, you can come live at my rental, just don't bother the Chinese guy in the hoodie with six computers in the spare room, and don't use the flour stashed in the highest cupboard in the kitchen whatever you do!

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

The last landlord deducted the cost of his fuel to show up at the lease end walk through.   They live 80k away from the house they rent out.

During the walk through they mentioned no damages, but expected me to pay to service the air conditioner.

30 minutes after we left the walk through, they started calling with charges and damages.

When they finally had it tallied up, they were taking half my deposit, and telling me how honest they were.

(Thai neighbors told me I was paying almost twice what the previous Thai tenant paid)

I talked to a lawyer who told me it was not productive to sue.

By contrast, the previous landlord was a blatant dirt bag, but returned all of my deposit.   The last ones were smiling professional types.....middle class.

• Like 2

even the Thais get scammed if they had your money they would be further scammed.... one needs only to look at how they scam poor thais in these difficult times by illegally charging 2 or 3 times the current govt electric rate per kw and what does the govt do they allow it and then say the people are getting a break with a 20 percent reduction in electric bill or similar... a 20 percent reduction from a triple inflated bill for many poor thais... what a country

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/6/2021 at 9:11 PM, BritManToo said:

Yeah, but you all want twice as much monthly rent.

That's not true.

I have a three bedroom European style house with bathroom, kitchen diner and living room on our private land with private parking and partly furnished and it is as good as new.

We are in Buakhao, Kuchinari, Kalasin and advertise it for 6,000 baht per month.

It is part furnished, but we advertise as unfurnished, but the foreigners that have been here have been lousy. I have left it empty rather than deal with such people.

Asking for reductions, can they have free WIFI,will I be buying new beds,  and basically trying to nickel and dime on every aspect.

For God's sake, what do they expect for 6,000 a month? It's a detached bungalow.

The electric is paid direct by the house to PEA and no water charges as we have our own well and pump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 2:33 AM, Scouse123 said:

That's not true.

I have a three bedroom European style house with bathroom, kitchen diner and living room on our private land with private parking and partly furnished and it is as good as new.

We are in Buakhao, Kuchinari, Kalasin and advertise it for 6,000 baht per month.

It is part furnished, but we advertise as unfurnished, but the foreigners that have been here have been lousy. I have left it empty rather than deal with such people.

Asking for reductions, can they have free WIFI,will I be buying new beds,  and basically trying to nickel and dime on every aspect.

For God's sake, what do they expect for 6,000 a month? It's a detached employee monitoring bungalow.

The electric is paid direct by the house to PEA and no water charges as we have our own well and pump.

Of course! 6,000 a month is very little

Edited by Iyeron
  • Like 1

and it's got alot to do with how the landlord sees you everyday ....  are you a loudmouth ,  do you stagger in drunk every night,  do you respect other peoples property, do you spit everywhere when down stairs .....  don't laugh because it's part of the game,    if they see you as a decent type of farang, chances are you'll have minimal or no issues at departure.

I stayed near Asoke for 12+ years and when everyone had to move because someone bought the land ..... I cleaned the place up as best as possible ......  no questions asked , just a 2 minute check from the helper guy and the boss handed me all the deposit and thanked me ......   

thank goodness I have never rented here.....just include deposit in total cost......consider it gone....unless you rent only in quality complex managed by developer with standard corporate rental contract =fair.

would never entertain long term individual (quirky/ grasping) landlords, 

btw its a Buyers Market = No Deposit & Rock Bottom Rates or Walk Away..... OP shows poor judgement / soft touch I’m afraid......particularly as Property Contents here clearly have Zero Value.......so yes clearly it is a Dump.......so why ..... ?