Is this the future of Solar - use your EV as your backup battery for your home?

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Here https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2527489409-s8982895965.html but there are a number of Lazada sellers with the same cells and the same text etc. Evidently someone brought in a lot.

I've got one on capacity test at the mo, but my tester only does 6A charge (it's nearly full now), a 20A discharge test to follow (should be about 10 hours).

Out of interest it did 168Ah down to 2.5V. I wonder just how worn these cells really are.

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2021 at 11:06 AM, Bob12345 said:

But what if the sun explodes

interestingly the sun explodes all the time sending dangerous radiation throughout the solar system

With Earths weakening magnetic field there is a rising probability that an x class solar flare will take out electronics and power grids in the next few decades ????

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

But the output from your solar will be amazing for a few seconds ???? 

I'm hoping I'll be on the 'darkside' fast asleep when it happens cos the folks facing the sun are gonna be in a heapload o trouble.....

I don't lose any sleep over it, I just happen to think the 'sun god' is the only true god lol

1 hour ago, driver52 said:

I'm hoping I'll be on the 'darkside' fast asleep when it happens cos the folks facing the sun are gonna be in a heapload o trouble.....

I don't lose any sleep over it, I just happen to think the 'sun god' is the only true god lol

Ah yes, but being on the dork side you'll miss out on the extra power to your solar panels and won't you be in for a shock in the morning.

Back on topic.

My understanding of Vehicle to Grid (V2G) was that it's primary role in life was (at least initially) to provide distributed grid enabled storage so that all those vehicle batteries could prop up the grid in times of low renewable generation, like the huge Tesla batteries being installed in Oz.

Your vehicle would still end up with a full (or whatever state you wanted) charge in the morning, or when you leave work to go home, or whatever, but would be continually charging / discharging whilst plugged in.

Since most cars spend 90% or their lives parked this seems like a good idea.

But I'm certainly not going to be happy with the energy authorities or whoever wearing out my very expensive vehicle pack without some form of recompense.

UPS functionality for your home would be a bonus, but really only for short outages or you could end up with no power and no transport, definitely not a nice position to be in.

Solar charging of the car would also be nice, but my car isn't at home during the day except at weekends, so all that solar would be going to waste if I didn't have stationary batteries or a net-metering deal.