Stallions CT400 - anyone got one? How is it?

JimShortz

I currently have a Kawasaki Z400 for fun and a Honda CB300F for commuting. I love the Kawasaki and the CB300F does its job extremely well, taking me back and two to work, with a top box to keep everything dry. BUT, I get bored easily and although a great commuter, it doesn't excite me...

I have been thinking about selling the CB300F and replacing with a CT400. I know... not exciting either, but from what I read has plenty of torque, is light and handles well. I also like the look, and with a bit of customisation could be a really good looking bike. I'd be interested to hear how the CT400 is holding up from anyone who has one. Anyone?

PS - I know it won't be as re;iable as the Honda, but I do enjoy tinkering...

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, JimShortz said:

PS - I know it won't be as re;iable as the Honda, but I do enjoy tinkering...

I don't and have not owned one  but notice they have all but disappeared from around my area.

stallions.jpg.56034c132876e7fb5526e1d305cde18b.jpg

CT400.thumb.jpg.e4f77e8369d5520322124305decf7a94.jpg

24 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I don't have any personal experience with the Stallions.

Why not get a Royal Endfield instead, they look really cool.

Just a thought.

Definitely in my thoughts too, and I may buy one later - they get very positive reports. The simple answer though, is I just want a cheap commuter and my 2015 CB300F is worth about the same as a 2016 CT400...

7 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Same here, my friend got a 250, barely rode it, and the shop he got it from closed in a few months of purchase.

Chiang Rai.

Now, the 250s, and the 150s are clearly not good bikes, but they are very different to the CT400 from everything I read - in most respects. I will absolutely not be buying the lower displacement bikes

14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

From my many years experience of 2 wheeled commuting, the last thing that I would want is a machine that not 100% reliable. I doubt if there's a motorcycle around that is as reliable as Honda.

My inclination would be to stick with it. If you get bored, take a different route.

Thanks for the input, but I genuinely enjoy tinkering and don't need the 100% Honda reliability if the trade-off is boredom, and most modern Hondas, other than the very top end are boring imho. 

The Ct400 has what is essentially a Honda XBR400 engine anyway, built with Honda tooling by Shineray in China. It also has modern fuel injection, so no carbs to mess with!

You may be right about taking a different route though. I am second guessing myself, hence requesting some first hand experience. Let's hope someone with one chimes in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I'm a bit confused , you have a Kawa Z400, and then want to buy a Stallion 400 because you are bored with CB300F and want to have fun....!?  

Oh dear, you do seem confused!

I'm bored with the blandness and boring looks of the CB300F... Just looking to swap out for something that I might find more interesting and enjoy tinkering with.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

CB 650 no need to tinker just ride it.

Thanks, but not for me. Far too heavy. I'm no giant and am not interested in big bikes, or anything weighing over about 170kg or so.

I really enjoy light(ish) moderately powered bikes, especially for my commuting here in Thailand, hence considering the CT400. The other bike that fits the bill well is the CB300F, and I already have that. Just don't love it...

Actually, I would also like this bike to be good for short 2 up trips (into town, etc.) with my missus on the back. The CT400's big flat seat would be a big bonus. She doesn't like the CB300F "perch" much, and nobody likes the tiny perch on the Z400!

4 minutes ago, JimShortz said:

Thanks, but not for me. Far too heavy. I'm no giant and am not interested in big bikes, or anything weighing over about 170kg or so.

I really enjoy light(ish) moderately powered bikes, especially for my commuting here in Thailand, hence considering the CT400. The other bike that fits the bill well is the CB300F, and I already have that. Just don't love it...

Actually, I would also like this bike to be good for short 2 up trips (into town, etc.) with my missus on the back. The CT400's big flat seat would be a big bonus. She doesn't like the CB300F "perch" much, and nobody likes the tiny perch on the Z400!

Ok fair call, you know what you prefer.

I like sports power my 900 blade weights in at 180 and low down weight pretty much with tank half full.

Ali frame bikes come out lightweight.

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Ok fair call, you know what you prefer.

I like sports power my 900 blade weights in at 180 and low down weight pretty much with tank half full.

Ali frame bikes come out lightweight.

The Blade 900 sounds great at only 180Kg. I can't pretend I wouldn't enjoy that, but I fear I would kill myself having that much power here in Thailand! My wrist is not to be trusted I am afraid. The Z400 works great for my fun bike. You can ride it hard and still live (so far!).

I am 51 and have had bikes on and off since I was 16, with CBR600 being the fastest thing I have owned (back in the UK). I loved the 4 pot engine, but it sure isn't what I need for a an "easy to push in and out of parking" commuter right now.

The CT400 weighs only 170kg full of oil and fuel, and although low hp is quite torquey. It appeals to me a lot, whilst in the back of my head I hear "Chinese <deleted>" lol. I believe it's amongst the best of the <deleted>, however... I'm just trying to work out what that means for me!

Edited by JimShortz
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.th/bikes/roadsters/trident (189Kg)

Type Liquid-cooled, 12 valves, DOHC, 3 cylinders in line
Capacity 660 cc
Bore 74.0 mm
Stroke 51.1 mm
Compression 11.95:1
Max Power EC 81 PS / 80 bhp (60 kW) @ 10,250 rpm
Max Torque EC 64 Nm @ 6,250 rpm

Triumph Trident 660 Right Side CGI in Silver Ice and Diablo Red

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.th/bikes/roadsters/street-triple (168Kg)

Type DOHC 12 valve in-line three-cylinder engine, liquid-cooled
Capacity 765 cc
Bore 77.99 mm
Stroke 53.4 mm
Compression 12.54:1
Max Power EC 123PS / 121.36 BHP (90.5kW) @11750rpm
Max Torque EC 79Nm@ 9350rpm

Left-facing CGI shot of Street Triple RS

I've the Street Triple RS, trust me it's not boring ????

Yes, err... They pretty much fall down in every respect for what I have written I am looking for. Thanks for taking the time to post though!

Great bikes, for anyone looking for that kind of thing..

PS I have ridden the street triple. Lovely bike, with power everywhere and great handling. A less than ideal commuter for me though!

Edited by JimShortz

It looks to me that you really don't know what you want, LOL.

Well sometimes it good to get inputs from others.

2 up and daily rides to/from work but you don't want anything super powerful.

Honda X500 comes to mind, Royal Endfield 650 if you want a good looking retro bike, they both sell in large numbers.

I tested a RE650, nice bike, the torque is really nice for a non fast rider but is still pretty nippy up to about 140.

8 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

It looks to me that you really don't know what you want, LOL.

Well sometimes it good to get inputs from others.

2 up and daily rides to/from work but you don't want anything super powerful.

Honda X500 comes to mind, Royal Endfield 650 if you want a good looking retro bike, they both sell in large numbers.

I tested a RE650, nice bike, the torque is really nice for a non fast rider but is still pretty nippy up to about 140.

I certainly haven't made a final decison on a bike to switch to, or even to switch at all if nothing that suits my needs better than the CB300F is apparent. I think you summarised what I am looking for well with "2 up and daily rides to/from work but you don't want anything super powerful". To that I would add, something I find at least vaguely interesting, and fairly light.

I have also basically had it down to one of the Honda 500s (all fail on looks/interest for me - much like the CB300F), or the RE Interceptor 650. The interceptor ticks most of the boxes, but I was really looking for a cheaper commuter to replace the CB300F. Also, none of those are as light as the CT400 - for manouvering in and out of tiny parking spaces in town, on odd inclines, etc.

The CT400 ticks more boxes for my needs/wants than any of the other bikes commonly available, hence here asking for some input on the bike. Unfortunately nobody with actual experience of the bike I am interested in has been forthcoming so far. I will wait and see... In the meantime I will be keeping the Honda.

Thank you Mr Meeseeks, an interesting option, but nfortunately that's a new bike and I am looking for something a few years old as a cheap commuter - somethink around 50k (similar value to my CB300F) was all I was thinking to spend, hence the CT400.  It's just a second bike for shopping/commuting duties...

I don't really want the depreciation of a new bike. I have already got my 2019 Z400 deprieciating happily, lol. 

Edited by JimShortz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, johng said:

Some more "Stallions"    I like the look of the "Buccaneer"  V twin

1833141578_stallions1.thumb.jpg.384dc0fa781e8d0526350332c2326260.jpg

The Buccaneer looks good to me too, at least from a distance, but I'm not really interested in low tune 250s - just too slow to be interesting for me. Also, I read nothing good about the Stallion 250s (admittedly the V-twin may be better). It's shocking if you look on FB Marketplace and see how many Stallions Makina 250s are for sale. That isn't the case for the CT400 - it seems that people are much more likely to keep them... or they have all been scrapped!!!  ????

1 hour ago, smccolley said:

My brother in law and I have a smaller Stallions and I can say the reliability sucks. I will happily get rid of it and never look back.

Yes, the 150 and 250s that I know of are not something I'm interested in. Most, if not all, used carburettors tuned to meet modern emission standards. That just doesn't work and creates bikes that don't run properly unless you sort that out. I believe the build quality is somewhat lacking too... I am really only interested in the CT400.

12 minutes ago, driver52 said:

CFMOTO do a 400cc model, probs be able to pick up something cheap in the current environment...

Thanks, but the ones I am aware of have sport bike styling with the perch for a rear seat. I already have that on the Z400. I want a more comfortable 2-up arrangement for the missus.

Ignoring the Honda 500s that just leaves the CT400 as far as I can see, at least in light bikes that can also commute and nip in and out of town parking easily (think shopping trolley!).

33 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I brought my CT400 in 2016 and it now has nearly 40,000 km. I brought it new for 100,000 Baht. It is actually 397 cc so it is below the 400 cc limit.

I wanted a bike that I didn't need to pay too much attention too, and didn't care about much ('rat' bike), and at about the 100,000 Baht mark. For some reason the bike has not caught on with the Thai public. I imagine you could pick up a 2016/2017 bike, with up to 20,000 km, for 70,000 - 75,000 Baht.

The engine is good, plenty of torque and cruises well at 100 km/hr. When new/well maintained, it doesn't vibrate much at 100 km/hr and the mirrors are clear. It has a separate transmission/oil reservoir which helps to keep the oil cool. I would hope to get at least 75,000 km out of the engine before it needs any work.

The transmission/gear box is good and still slick (but positive) after 40,000 km. 

The fuel economy is very good at 30 - 35 km per litre (town vs highway) if you take it easy. The 13 litre tank is good for 400 km.

The rest of the bike is pretty ordinary. My fuel cap leaks when the tank is full, the side stand cut-off will stall the bike if you go through water deep enough to cover it, my tachometre has stopped working, the tail light cover fell off, the front bulb blows every 10,000 km or so (150 Baht for a new one), the gear lever comes loose (fixed with some cloth), there are rust speckles on the front wheel and front mudguard. The head gasket also has an annoying oil leak.

I do my own maintenance (basically change the oil, filter and clean the air filter) every 4,000 km. So far (40,000 km) the valves haven't needed adjustment. I replaced the chain/cogs at about 26,000 km (cost about 3000 Baht). I replaced the back and rear tyres at about 24,000 km (cost about 2000 Baht each).

I'm a bit more careful with the chain now and oil it every 500 km. There is no centre-stand which is a nuisance.

I've just ordered new rear and front brake pads. There is no local dealership, but the Honda dealership in my town is a registered supplier and I order my parts through them. They can also do any maintenance/repairs etc.

I hope this information is of some use.

Hi Steve, it's great to hear your first hand account of ownership. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

I'm also surprised they weren't a bigger hit with Thais, but many are very brand conscious and wary of low resale values with Chinese bikes. Because of that there aren't many around, but a 2016 seems to go for around 50k - great value.

Your issues seem about what I would expect after 5 years and 40k kms, although the oil leak sounds like it wants dealing with! I'm not sure about the gear lever repair either, lol.

It's great to hear that the engine and gearbox are still going strong. The other niggles I could fix myself I should think, with the chrome issues being fixed by powder coating the offending parts. That's cheap to do here in Chiang Mai.

Thanks again, and happy riding.

Edited by JimShortz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JimShortz said:

That isn't the case for the CT400 - it seems that people are much more likely to keep them... or they have all been scrapped!!! 

Or they just didn't sell very many... but those who bought them want to keep them

cos they look like  the Yamaha SR 400 which made a recent revival at very high prices.

• Like 2