Stallions CT400 - anyone got one? How is it?

JimShortz

Yeah, I should get a new head gasket, but haven't bothered yet. I just clean it off every few weeks. The gear lever was never a snug fit. I wrapped a bit of cloth around it and then tighten it. This lasts about 4000 km before starting to loosen again.

It's got a kick start, but it's a tough ask. I've started it a few times that way, but the electric start wins every time. Of course, it is very easy to push start too.

In conclusion, the engine and transmission is fine. The rest of the bike is ordinary, but you can replace or fix bits easy enough.

The handling is acceptable. I never really trusted the stock tyres, but it corners fine. They are a pretty hard compound. In my opinion, the stock front tire (and probably the rear) is too fat (this seem to be trendy these days) and a thinner tire would make it more responsive.  I do like the bigger wheels which handle the potholes better and keep the bike tracking where you point it. I wouldn't call it nimble, by any shot, but it is competent, feels stable, and is still light enough to chuck around a bit.

If you can pick up one for 50,000 Baht you should be able to get a good few years out of it. It's probably about the cheapest 400 cc in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

Yeah, I should get a new head gasket, but haven't bothered yet. I just clean it off every few weeks. The gear lever was never a snug fit. I wrapped a bit of cloth around it and then tighten it. This lasts about 4000 km before starting to loosen again.

It's got a kick start, but it's a tough ask. I've started it a few times that way, but the electric start wins every time. Of course, it is very easy to push start too.

In conclusion, the engine and transmission is fine. The rest of the bike is ordinary, but you can replace or fix bits easy enough.

The handling is acceptable. I never really trusted the stock tyres, but it corners fine. They are a pretty hard compound. In my opinion, the stock front tire (and probably the rear) is too fat (this seem to be trendy these days) and a thinner tire would make it more responsive.  I do like the bigger wheels which handle the potholes better and keep the bike tracking where you point it. I wouldn't call it nimble, by any shot, but it is competent, feels stable, and is still light enough to chuck around a bit.

If you can pick up one for 50,000 Baht you should be able to get a good few years out of it. It's probably about the cheapest 400 cc in Thailand.

Thanks Steve, it's good to hear about the handling too. The stock tyres being hopeless fits with every bike I have ever bought. It's crazy that they skimp on this and force you to replace brand new tyres or suffer them for many kilometres. All of the manufacturers do it, making bikes appear to be much less good than they could be!

I wish I could see what's happening with your gear lever. If it just doesn't clamp tight enough on the shaft splines, can you grind out the clamping faces on the lever to allow it to clamp more tightly? or, drill and tap through the lever "collar" into the shaft to create a key to prevent slipping?

I don't suppose you are anywhere near Chiang Mai? I'd be happy to help...

Edited by JimShortz

I have had CT400 for four years now and it has proven to be very reliable. When it was new, it had some air leak in the throttle body affecting throttle response, but the dealer fixed it. Otherwise it has been very reliable. 

Super easy to drive, some of my friends who are not so use to driving bikes have tried it and been comfortable from the start.

Natural cruising speed is around 80-90km/h, more than that is nit so nice even the bike can go about 120km/h. Lots of torque considering the size and specs of the engine.

If you like the look and spec, go for it. You won’t be disappointed, must “cooler” to drive around than CB!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chungju said:

I have had CT400 for four years now and it has proven to be very reliable. When it was new, it had some air leak in the throttle body affecting throttle response, but the dealer fixed it. Otherwise it has been very reliable. 

Super easy to drive, some of my friends who are not so use to driving bikes have tried it and been comfortable from the start.

Natural cruising speed is around 80-90km/h, more than that is nit so nice even the bike can go about 120km/h. Lots of torque considering the size and specs of the engine.

If you like the look and spec, go for it. You won’t be disappointed, must “cooler” to drive around than CB!

Thank you for taking the time to share. That sounds hugely positive. I might just take your advice ????

Edited by JimShortz
  • Like 1

If I had more free time I'd buy a CT-400 as a project.

The basis is good and it could be a nice little bike to have & ride. However, the implementation is questionable (parts quality, assembling procedure, etc.).

First step would be to buy a good 2nd hand CT-400 and allocate some budget & time for the rebuild.

The whole bike would need to be dismantled and made more reliable (re-chrome some parts, apply corrosion protection, epoxy the frame, change the wheel bearings, change the nuts all around the bike, check the silent blocks, review the electricity). These mods and improvements come from discussions I had with CT-400 owners.

The CT-400 is quite a simple bike therefore this process shouldn't be too hard. Actually, a fun hobby to get into.

4 hours ago, Fab5BKK said:

If I had more free time I'd buy a CT-400 as a project.

The basis is good and it could be a nice little bike to have & ride. However, the implementation is questionable (parts quality, assembling procedure, etc.).

First step would be to buy a good 2nd hand CT-400 and allocate some budget & time for the rebuild.

The whole bike would need to be dismantled and made more reliable (re-chrome some parts, apply corrosion protection, epoxy the frame, change the wheel bearings, change the nuts all around the bike, check the silent blocks, review the electricity). These mods and improvements come from discussions I had with CT-400 owners.

The CT-400 is quite a simple bike therefore this process shouldn't be too hard. Actually, a fun hobby to get into.

I'm in a simlar position so really shouldn't get one just yet... unless I get overtaken by bike fever, lol.

Everything you describe pretty much fits in with what I had in mind. Rechroming or powdercoating parts isn't too expensive in Chiang Mai. Stainless fixings are cheap for any that need replacement, and the bearings makes sense too - although I haven't come across anyone mentioning issues with bearings. The Chinesium bearings found in many Chinese bikes certainly are a problem though.

I am only unsure what you mean by epoxy the frame? and check the silent blocks?

My other thoughts would be to upgrade brake pads and see about LED bulb replacments.

An interesting project for the future...  or soon!!!

Edited by JimShortz

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm thinking OK. With some tinkering could be made to look like a Continental GT

spacer.png

spacer.png

An interesting comparison, but the cafe racer seating position isn't going to work for my old bones.  I'd say the CT400 shares a lot more in common with the Interceptor 650. Perhaps similar upswept exhausts and a bit of powder coating on some of the chrome parts?

w644.jpg

15 hours ago, JimShortz said:

but the cafe racer seating position isn't going to work for my old bones.

Keeping the higher rise bars is allowed. But yes I have swapped a "weight on arms" sport bike for a "sit up and beg" type bike.

• Like 1