Heads up for travelers: Thailand apparently not recognizing “cross-vaccination”

billp

If you had two different Covid-19 vaccinations, like for instance AstraZeneca and then an mRNA shot like Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna, apparently Thailand is not recognizing this as being fully vaccinated. A number of countries are now doing this routinely including Germany (as I was — AstraZeneca and Moderna) and Canada. This is due to supply shortages and concerns about AstraZeneca’s efficacy and side effects. 

All current preliminary data shows that combining a vector vaccine (like AstraZeneca) and an mRNA vaccine brings efficacy at least as high as two doses of an mRNA shot. Some scientists think efficacy may be even higher because the protection is coming from two different angles with two different technolgies, but that’s not yet been scientifically proven. Some Canadian provinces have even been encouraging people with first shots of Pfizer-BioNTech to accept Moderna as their second dose due to a supply bottleneck, with experts there saying the two mRNA vaccines are “interchangeable.”

Now I’ve picked up a news story from Denmark, that the Thai embassy there refused to accept a Covid-19 vaccination passport with doses from two different vaccines (AstraZeneca and Pfizer-BioNtech) because the WHO does not yet recognize “cross-vaccination.” And authorities there refused to allow the woman to get a third shot. 

Read it for yourself: https://scandasia.com/cross-vaccinated-nordic-residents-can-not-enter-thailand-without-quarantine/

• Like 1

This really sucks. I had AZ + Pfizer and unlikely I will be able to get a 3rd shot so I hope this stupid policy changes soon. I am pretty sure there are multiple peer reviewed studies on it's effectiveness or will be shortly.

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Fake news

please research properly before posting 

This was already resolved last week 

67912F85-92A5-44CA-BD34-4D40F4337FF6.jpeg

Fake news.

No consulate would care what some MOPH says.

Here is the screenshot from the consulate in Munich, as of right now:

At 2.2 it says "The two inoculations must be from the same manufacturer."

Screenshot_20210712-190344_Brave.jpg

It is the consulate that gives you COE and visa. Not the MOPH.

Edited by Lorry

25 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Fake news.

No consulate would care what some MOPH says.

Here is the screenshot from the consulate in Munich, as of right now:

At 2.2 it says "The two inoculations must be from the same manufacturer."

Screenshot_20210712-190344_Brave.jpg

It is the consulate that gives you COE and visa. Not the MOPH.

They probably have not updated their info yet.  They don't set any of these policies without using MOPH guidance.  Trying to imply otherwise is laughable.

Edited by shdmn

On 7/12/2021 at 7:29 PM, shdmn said:

They probably have not updated their info yet.  They don't set any of these policies without using MOPH guidance.  Trying to imply otherwise is laughable.

It's not "info". It's  a regulation.  Not information. 

Trying to imply an embassy or consulate (under MOFA) would care whatever a MOPH says is laughable.  If you really think so you don't understand Asian bureaucracy. "They have their rules,  we have our rules".

BTW please tell us when they update their "info". 

Edited by Lorry

From the news article to which a link is given in the OP:

The couple does not blame the Thai authorities but are frustrated that Danish health authorities mix the vaccines and reject the possibility of a third dose when it is so obviously necessary for some citizens with family abroad, Holger Wentzel Olsen says.

Source: https://scandasia.com/cross-vaccinated-nordic-residents-can-not-enter-thailand-without-quarantine/

The couple should not blame the Danish authorities, as these could not possibly have anticipated that Thailand or any other country would not recognise mixed vaccinations. Thailand's restriction must be recognised for what it is: one more condition imposed to discourage foreigners from travelling to Thailand.

On 7/12/2021 at 5:33 PM, billp said:

...because the WHO does not yet recognize “cross-vaccination...

To be precise, this is what the WHO recommends and does not recommend:

1.  Individuals should not not mix and match COVID-19 vaccines from different manufacturers
  2.  Mixing and matching COVID-19 vaccines from different manufacturers should be left to public health authorities
    Source: https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/who-warns-against-mixing-matching-covid-vaccines-2021-07-12/

In the case of the Danish couple in question we do not know whether the mixing and matching was their choice or the decision of the vaccination centre

I read the article.

In Denmark, health staff(as the lady in the article) received initially AZ, then Moderna, because AZ has been taken out of the vaccination programme, to be introduced again, but as option/free choice.

I am thinking, the lady did not want AZ any longer, due to its side effects, but she did not know Thailand does not accept mixing vaccines as full vaccination.

However, I contacted Thai Embassy in Copenhagen, as I am in the same situation and they told me mixed vaccination is accepted now.

The question is whether a zealeuos somchai at arrival in Phuket will accept it?

15 hours ago, Lorry said:

It's not "info". It's  a regulation.  Not information. 

Trying to imply an embassy or consulate (under MOFA) would care whatever a MOPH says is laughable.  If you really think so you don't understand Asian bureaucracy. "They have their rules,  we have our rules".

BTW please tell us when they update their "info". 

Why don't you confirm it with the embassy yourself like this person did.  Care to revise your statement and admit you were wrong?

Edited by shdmn

7 hours ago, shdmn said:

Why don't you confirm it with the embassy yourself like this person did.  Care to revise your statement and admit you were wrong?

I posted an original from a Thai consulate. Care to read?

55 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I posted an original from a Thai consulate. Care to read?

So instead of admitting you are wrong you are going to try double down.  Who could have predicted.

Edited by shdmn