Phuket officials deny claims unhappy Sandbox tourists have gone home as fake news

webfact

4 minutes ago, eyup said:

No they didn't! Have you actually read the article and/or Phuket News or even the rest of the content in this thread? Or indeed any other thread on this? It's people like you that either start or believe these stupid rumours.

Oh its people like you said the sheep, so they didn't stay and returned where they came from

• Sad 3

he stated, "We have had some tourists fly back home, but they left because they did not want to enter quarantine......and had tested negative [for COVID-19],” he said."

who the hell could blame them? if they had tested negative why should they quarantine ? The German lady said she was being charged 52000THB for room and board for 2 weeks.  are they quarantining any locals who test negative also?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

“Some tourists came to Phuket under the Phuket Sandbox scheme, stayed less than 14 days, and flew back to their home countries,” he said. 

So he denies the report and also says it's true. I love this country. Every day a new joke to laugh at.

Lots of people go on holiday for a week (even a long weekend) then fly home.  That doesn't mean they're dissatisfied.

The sandbox model allows people to leave Thailand at any time, as long as they have a negative test within 72 hours of their flight.   It sounds like they even allowed the "high risk" negatives to fly out.   If they did, kudos to them.  They just can't transit anywhere else inside the country for 14 days.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I would even choose the Bkk ASQ as it seems a safer option

I was kinda thinking that but on the other hand it seems if you take the sandbox you have a good chance of some freedom for the 14 days and the worst case isn't really that much worse than ASQ. Yeah the food's probably worse and the accommodation's probably less comfortable, but to me being confined to one place is the real kicker and that'snthe same either way. Also, isn't the extra cost covered by the covid insurance you have to take out?

I agree it makes no sense as a 14 day holiday...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Farang said:

It is a big scam by the government to bring money into the country.  I just got  here today in the Sandbox program.  When I booked my hotel it was like 14,000.  After I booked my plane tickets and was ready to go I was told it is now 22,000 baht because you have to pay for 2 covid tests and a special taxi service to take you 2 km down the road to test.  TBH I am not sure why anyone would come here as a tourist right now (I am here to see family).   You have to pay over priced hotels for 14 days, you cannot leave the island,  2 days out of your stay you are quarantined in your room waiting for covid test results, everything is closed in Phuket and it looks like a ghost town, it rains almost every day all day because of the rainy season.  It sucks when you know you could rent a room for about as low as 500 baht but have to pay tripple.  Lets not forget,  if for some reason you test positive for covid,  you have to pay for another quarantine hotel on top of yours and mind you, insurance will not cover that.

A room for 500 baht ?I don't mean it humiliating but you are not one of the expected well heeled ones ?

• Haha 1

So July August and September, and some part of October is all rainy season?

Well that does affect those who are staying in Phuket.  I was there in November and had rainy 

evenings a lot during the first half of the month. Most mornings were nice, but at about 4PM the

clouds formed and the rain came after that. Oh the memories if Phuket.

Geezer

On 7/15/2021 at 11:39 AM, stevenl said:

I booked sleep with me, 550 baht per night. And there are quite a few more. You'll have to change your source.

Test result guaranteed within 24 hours. So never 2 days.

2 days meaning 2 test through the duration of your stay each taking a day for results. 

• Confused 1

On 7/15/2021 at 3:16 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

But after 2 weeks you can move on. You knew what you were getting into. But it is disgraceful it's raining.

I won't lie, I am not really complaining.   I think the Sandbox was a good opportunity for people like me who have family here to get a chance to come and not sit in a room for 14 days in an overpriced ASQ hotel. But I will also not sugar coat this situation either.  Nothing is open (i.e. Malls, entertainment venues, etc.) .  Bars renaming themselves restaurants just to open and sell alcohol even though 90% bars are closed.  For me, if I was on holiday,  I would not want to go through all these financial hoops to come is my point.   I think its a good test bed for Thailand but not a situation where someone would pay for a holiday in quarantine.   Yes you can move around the island,  but to do what?  Most people come to Phuket for a quick run, party in Bangla, hit up Phi Phi or James Bond Island, etc. then leave.  Bangla is shut down.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2021 at 1:44 AM, Badger18 said:

I was kinda thinking that but on the other hand it seems if you take the sandbox you have a good chance of some freedom for the 14 days and the worst case isn't really that much worse than ASQ. Yeah the food's probably worse and the accommodation's probably less comfortable, but to me being confined to one place is the real kicker and that'snthe same either way. Also, isn't the extra cost covered by the covid insurance you have to take out?

I agree it makes no sense as a 14 day holiday...

Foodnis not bad at all depending on where you stay 

22 minutes ago, The Farang said:

2 days meaning 2 test through the duration of your stay each taking a day for results. 

Poor try. You said you have to stay in your room for 2 days waiting for test results. Clearly not true 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Poor try. You said you have to stay in your room for 2 days waiting for test results. Clearly not true 

Yes thats what I just said... A day for each test (2 tests req.) = 2 DAYS.  compression skills are lacking... 2 out of 14 days you are staying in your room waiting for results.   

Edited by The Farang

2 hours ago, The Farang said:

Most people come to Phuket for a quick run, party in Bangla, hit up Phi Phi or James Bond Island, etc. then leave.  Bangla is shut down.  

And James Bond Island is off limits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Farang said:

Yes thats what I just said... A day for each test (2 tests req.) = 2 DAYS.  compression skills are lacking... 2 out of 14 days you are staying in your room waiting for results.   

Which is totally not true, you only have to stay in your room waiting for the first result, you're free to roam waiting for the other 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1