Phuket no go: Land transport measures stepped up today after thousands turned away

webfact

33 minutes ago, webfact said:

Arrivals at the Tha Chatchai checkpoint can expect to be met by a large force that has been mobilized to protect the island comprising local and tourist police, DOPA officials, army and navy and health officials.

are they expecting an invasion 

as I posted on another thread a few days ago 

actions speak louder than words - they are very obviously worried about something that has already spooked them on the Island - also note the school closures and tourist covid infections that have yet to be explained where they got infected 

Edited by smedly
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, eyup said:

Maybe protecting this time ,from the invasion of Covid cases from BKK and other areas that happened during Songkran.  Seems reasonable to me.

it raises a question

which is better, domestic or foreign

• Confused 3

26 minutes ago, smedly said:

it raises a question

which is better, domestic or foreign

I believe domestic was bringing in a lot more money and i do not believe ghetto tourism

will prove to be a big hit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ah isolation for the Phuket people. How are 5k tourists so far boosting the economy since domestic tourism was or may be essentially shut down.  Guess they may have to rely on international flights to bring in those 100k or more.  Sad really.... 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

This applies to people coming from 34 provinces that have been declared "deep red zones", reported Thai media. 

I still don't understand how anyone knows from where you have travelled?.......I realize, of course, people would never lie.

• Like 2

Just now, Surelynot said:

I still don't understand how anyone knows from where you have travelled?.......I realize, of course, people would never lie.

IN CM everyone with CM plates gets to drive through, everyone with BK plates is stopped.

• Thanks 1

Latest from Phuket News ref checks Article focuses on people going to and coming from Phang Nga. 

“People who live in Phuket and go to Phang Nga must present to officers at the Phuket Check Point the certificate showing they are fully vaccinated or they must show COVID-19 test results proving they have tested negative for COVID-19 within the past seven days. No matter how long they are in Phang Nga, they need to present one of the documents,” Vice Governor Piyapong told The Phuket News.

The same requirement applies for when people living in Phuket return to the island from Phang Nga, he added.

“They may also need to have something to show officers at the checkpoint to prove that they really are just coming from Phang Nga. The officers will be stricter on checking all arrivals,” Vice Governor Piyapong said.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Arrivals at the Tha Chatchai checkpoint can expect to be met by a large force that has been mobilized to protect the island comprising local and tourist police, DOPA officials, army and navy and health officials.

Wot ? No water Cannon, SWAT teams, or Rubber Bullets.

Are they trying to stop people going over a Bridge,or entering into a full scale war with people from Isaan.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

No problem. Samui opens today. If they get turned away from Phuket it's only around three hours by car. :-))

I'd like to see you do Phuket to Samui in 3 hours when it's 1 hour 30 minutes on the ferry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, zzzzz said:

and so ends domestic tourism

Turning good domestic money away in favour of a few international spenders.

My ole man used to say in with one hand out with the other.

Phuket says it's making a profit, but losing domestic money.

I guess the accountants will make it look good on paper.

Domestic tourism does not bring money into Thailand. It will only move money from one province to another like Phuket. Foreign tourism brings new money into Thailand.

I guess that is the goal of the Thai government.

• Like 2

i thought the goal of the sandbox was to simulate the Phuket economy ( which it does regardless where the traveler is from ) 

and to see if it can work without a massive influx of positive cases, so they can determine if they can open up more of the country

10 positive cases out of 5,400 arrivals seems like its working

10 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

and 2 doses Sinovac plus PCR. And the 14 days wait time  after vax. That's what I thought was reported by news.

With the recent outcomes with the Sinovax you would think that will be off the approved list very soon as it proving to be useless