COVID19 insurance - unfortunately I used AXA

bberg

Hi,

I recently applied to Non-immigrant O visa and was granted the visa. One of the requirement was COVID19 insurance covering 100K USD. 

I bought 6 months insurance at 15K baht. 

The application for Non-immigrant passed and was received.

Due to changes in work schedule I could no longer use the VISA for the intended travel,

I have tried to cancel the insurance which was bought at AXA, to my surprise they refuse to cancel the visa and refuse to follow their own cancellation policy.   

I will have to accept my 15K baht insurance is lost unless AXA changes their attitude towards "valuable customer" as they refer to in their advertisements.  

Maybe the sponsor of the Forum could share some insight on my experience and whether other insurance buyers have experienced same treatment being refused cancellation and consequently paying for nothing!  

• Like 2

Bberg, I'm not that surprised re. Axa

In 2020, I've made a claim (travel insurance) and they're still reluctant to pay for this claim (personal effects)

I'm dealing with the Axa Thailand 's CEO ( Chief Executive Officer) & CCO (Chief Claims Officer).

To be very honest with you, I'm not impressed (understatement!).

if interested I can, on MP, share their business E-mail addresses with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

A few emails back and forward with AXA Thailand. 

After I sent my VISA application papers, flight tickets, marriage documents, proof of residence and additional letter to Thai embassy where I applied to AXA Thailand they have accepted to cancel the insurance and refund 13500 baht within 30-45 days back to my credit card. 

Check carefully the policy you enquire coverage and raise the question with regards to cancellation would be by good advice. 

I may got luck in my enquiry for cancellation aftercall.  

Edited by bberg
spelling
  • Like 1

Yes, AXA are reluctant to refund.

Last May we had a policy for a 5 week trip to the UK. When everything shut down we asked for a refund and they refused. They offered 2 month extension to the policy or we could pay to change it to an annual policy starting when the single trip started. Both options were quite useless and lost the premium, about 9000 baht.

It seems they are the only ones who can cancel.

Very unreasonable.

One caveat:

If you decide to renew you'll get a 10% discount next year if you haven't filed a claim in the past 12 months.

Another insurance  company in Thailand just cancelled all COVID-19 policies.  AND with no refunds.  

Horrible business practices here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chosenfew said:

I’m in the process of shopping for insurance - thanks for sharing about AXA.

Can anyone share a company with a positive experience?

I would be very surprised if anyone could share a positive experience with ANY insurance ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chosenfew said:

I’m in the process of shopping for insurance - thanks for sharing about AXA.

Can anyone share a company with a positive experience?

I don’t know about Covid insurance but we have had Accident and Hospital insurance with Allianz for several years.

We have had excellent service over the years and never a problem with claims.

Last year I had a serious accident at home and wanted to be transferred to a private hospital.

The government ambulance wouldn’t take me and Allianz paid for an ambulance and two nurses which for them was a  300km round trip.

True or not, I haven’t had the chance to prove it. A few months ago when I was considering travel to Thailand , Bali, or French Polynesia ( before the 4 th wave in Thailand and Bali, FP still ok) I contacted Europe assistance who have always insured me annually at a decent price.I was assured that should I become ill with Covid, hospital fees would be covered, and if I needed a certificate for visas they will issue it. As I said, haven’t been able to go anywhere due to restrictions, but am still considering French Polynesia if all ok in October. I’m British but French permanent resident. 

• Sad 1