Thinking to move to Phuket from Los Angeles :)

XtraFly

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is not fair. 

Pattaya is tourist ripoff, and Patong is tourist ripoff on steroids.

There are still some lovely beaches in Thailand. But most people who know those places don't want write about them on the internet to be sure next time they visit it's not full of tourists.

rather be chilling in the mountains than some beach...been there done that.......ive expd sand and salty water before --I grew up on east coast

5 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

rather be chilling in the mountains than some beach...been there done that.......ive expd sand and salty water before --I grew up on east coast

There is a difference between salty water on the east coast and a nice beach in Thailand. Spot the difference:

awesome-asian-ass-41.jpg.cb40acf103ecf20ba70103945c0bd1b5.jpg

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is a difference between salty water on the east coast and a nice beach in Thailand. Spot the difference:

awesome-asian-ass-41.jpg.cb40acf103ecf20ba70103945c0bd1b5.jpg

money buys goods n services....I dont pay for that I earn it......and the tattoos kill it....nope

he/she is after one thing, and it aint me...I'll stick being a free guide for the china dolls in CM...speak better english and much nicer-cuter

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

None of the beaches Im up north in Chiang mai---actually stuck in states(east coast) dying to get back.....left the state scene in 2008....explored all over thai for 3 months and started south(nope) and worked my way north--settled in CM....good mix of locals and tourists(when I want a decent convo) and tons of food choices and is dirt cheap compared to south...is a quick flight should I even want to go to beach(not) and $30 hour flight to BKK ot sleep on the night train (14 hrs)

3 reasons that still apply today for packing up and living in Thai   cheap housing--affordable healthcare and access to healthy mix of cheap fresh local food.

When my funds run low and Ive had enough of the massage gals clapping at me during my daily bike rides I head home(4 months CM -no visa) and jump back into

work and enjoy Xmas and seeing old friends and family.....when I get tired of racism-hate politics-trumpism-Q anon nuts--mass shootings i jump back to thailand

One foot here--one foot there..I travel only with a carry on for easy airport hopping--everything I own fits in my car when a friend holds it for me when I travel

Rinse lather repeat--simple life--live like a local...old honda dream 95 paid for and a workhorse--simple studio in Cm for $125..eat fresh tasty street food and may

enjoy a german beer or a bit of sangsom sugar cane rum on a friday and I flirt with ladyboys and tell the real girls I dont pay for love---living the dream-freedom

After over a decade of this Im becoming thai and see how awful the states are, when people wonder why I leave I ask give me one reason to stay....good riddance!

I feel I’m watching no reservations episode lol. But that’s what I’m thinking most of the happy people I observed they live between two countries and they are minimalists. That’s when the statement less is more sometimes! I’m on my way to decrease my footprint and own less and less so I can live free and enjoy more. Your message is very encouraging. My understanding you are not a fan of the south either cos it’s pricey or the beach life is not your style. Or both lol. I have to live and die by a beach preferably an island.

• Like 1

Listen to OP. React only to his stated needs. nobody cares about your alt.life.

YES, OP states “ Cheap Housing” as primary benefit . Phuket Property (around 10-15% western equivalent) BUT cannot own land & near impossible Resale ( unless million dollar + Laguna Villa) . This factor  alone trumps ALL Negatives to Phuket Living, never mind the considerable benefits largely unavailable to regular folk in western countries. 

Key DONT Additions to my earlier comments:

Non- Professional GF without Property / Car / Income =AVOID

Physical Shop Business / Any Local “Partner”= AVOID

Boxing Adage Applies: “ Protect Yourself at all Times “.....

• Confused 4

2 hours ago, Deli said:

I'd like to swap with you Phuket for L.A. Nuff said.

Very interesting. What makes you think LA can be better than Phuket, or what do you dislike the most about Phuket or miss about America ?

Phuket, being an island in a warm sea really really is very humid, especially compared to Southern California and many other parts of Thailand also.  I mean, on Phuket it is always humid.  Some people don't  tolerate that well, except short time while on vacations

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Finally visited pattaya after 12 yearly visits to LOS...left the next day...not my scene.....nor is the south as a whole..ripoff

You can not have   experienced Pattaya in such a short time. You just visited your own prejudices along a clichéd, jaded path. It's the last cosmopolitan city in Thailand, very Thai style in parts, inhabited by some of the best cheap and expensive restaurants, several beaches and surrounded by jungle, mountain and countryside. I like most places in Thailand except Phuket but I gave Phuket a couple of visits before I decided and got a lot of things done too.

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is not fair. 

Pattaya is tourist ripoff, and Patong is tourist ripoff on steroids.

There are still some lovely beaches in Thailand. But most people who know those places don't want write about them on the internet to be sure next time they visit it's not full of tourists.

That's also not fair... Phuket is not only Patong, same as BKK is not only Soi Cowboy, it's great city with much more to see, same as Phuket is great island with many more beautiful places then Patong.

Edited by sallecc
  • Like 1

When you ask the hot water question, it sounds like you have not been to Thailand very many times.

At 36 years old, you likely have not had any great lengthy vacations either.  A month in Thailand is nice, but

the seasons are very different, and it is rainy season now. I have seen years when  even over the Winter months, rains

still happen in Phuket.  It would be wise to travel to Phuket a few times at different times of the year on vacations

to see what the weather is like.  You also will have little or no family around you if you move to Thailand.

Being homesick is something a lot of people do not think about until they have been away from family after a few months

as well.   The culture shock is a real thing as well.    Many things to think about, when you are planning to move to somewhere

else in the world for more than a few months. Maybe if you can, take off several months and do a long visit and rent and

concentrate on all aspects before committing yourself completely.

Geezer

55 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

When you ask the hot water question, it sounds like you have not been to Thailand very many times.

At 36 years old, you likely have not had any great lengthy vacations either.  A month in Thailand is nice, but

the seasons are very different, and it is rainy season now. I have seen years when  even over the Winter months, rains

still happen in Phuket.  It would be wise to travel to Phuket a few times at different times of the year on vacations

to see what the weather is like.  You also will have little or no family around you if you move to Thailand.

Being homesick is something a lot of people do not think about until they have been away from family after a few months

as well.   The culture shock is a real thing as well.    Many things to think about, when you are planning to move to somewhere

else in the world for more than a few months. Maybe if you can, take off several months and do a long visit and rent and

concentrate on all aspects before committing yourself completely.

Geezer

At 36. I lived at 6 different countries extended period of times including Brazil, Mexico, Costa Rica, Dubai. Homesickness doesn’t work on me since m family are not in the US anymore. Rain doesn’t bother me it’s the humidity I’m not sure how I’m gonna handle it since I’m spoiled by having probably the best weather on the planet here in LA.

5 hours ago, sallecc said:

That's also not fair... Phuket is not only Patong, same as BKK is not only Soi Cowboy, it's great city with much more to see, same as Phuket is great island with many more beautiful places then Patong.

Is there any place in Phuket without taxi mafia?

(I am asking, I don't know)

Hot water?  I lived in Thailand about 3.5 years and had no hot water.  Sometimes no water pressure at all.  Had to have a bathtub-type thing (ang/ong) and let the water drip in there all day. Electricity was a joke.  I had several rented houses. I graduated from a mattress on the floor and mosquito net to a bed frame with a mattress and net.  No other furniture.  I had  monaural cassette player until it got stolen one day.

Up in Loei in the winter, I had to put an old bus window on a 20 liter washtub and set it out in the sun all day so I could take a bucket bath comfortably before sunset.  No screens or glass windows, just lizards and bugs fighting it out inside before bedtime.  I miss it. 3,000 Baht a month salary was sufficient.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I seriously believe every popular exotic tourist city has its own cartel network which includes the taxi mafia for example places I visited and noticed the same thing Cancun, Rio, Cape Town, Belize. So for sure Phuket and other places are gonna be just the same and it’s very common when you bring tourists with dollars or euros and they have no idea what they are doing along with drivers that live below poverty line in a country that doesn’t enforce its laws strictly enough. Thoughts ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Hot water?  I lived in Thailand about 3.5 years and had no hot water.  Sometimes no water pressure at all.  Had to have a bathtub-type thing (ang/ong) and let the water drip in there all day. Electricity was a joke.  I had several rented houses. I graduated from a mattress on the floor and mosquito net to a bed frame with a mattress and net.  No other furniture.  I had  monaural cassette player until it got stolen one day.

Up in Loei in the winter, I had to put an old bus window on a 20 liter washtub and set it out in the sun all day so I could take a bucket bath comfortably before sunset.  No screens or glass windows, just lizards and bugs fighting it out inside before bedtime.  I miss it. 3,000 Baht a month salary was sufficient.

You would be a great candidate on naked and afraid LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

not really<
BUT if you live here you never have to deal with them as 95% of people buy at least a motorcycle or car

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Finally visited pattaya after 12 yearly visits to LOS...left the next day...not my scene.....nor is the south as a whole..ripoff

Never been in 6 years here...maybe another 6 years and I'll pop over to see what it's all about

10 minutes ago, XtraFly said:

You would be a great candidate on naked and afraid LOL. 

Well, I'm half naked at the moment because I was power washing my deck today and it's messy.  I was afraid of my Thai wife if I didn't make some progress.  You called it right.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, tonray said:

Never been in 6 years here...maybe another 6 years and I'll pop over to see what it's all about

I get back about every 10 years or so.  I have a house in Loei I've never seen.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, XtraFly said:

I feel I’m watching no reservations episode lol. But that’s what I’m thinking most of the happy people I observed they live between two countries and they are minimalists. That’s when the statement less is more sometimes! I’m on my way to decrease my footprint and own less and less so I can live free and enjoy more. Your message is very encouraging. My understanding you are not a fan of the south either cos it’s pricey or the beach life is not your style. Or both lol. I have to live and die by a beach preferably an island.

Yep Bourdain was up here and went to the ladyboy bar where I known most of them and take tourists as its a fun time...drinking some sangsom too....Less is more as it becomes dead weight moving back n forth between the 2 yearly...nomadic life-like the van dwellers....I got an old toyota wagon and put a bed in the back and tinted the windows limo black......only real issue is east coast humidity--ugh.....for the most part can but all I need in LOS for less at second hand shop and my size and brand

Carry on is the way to go with minimal clothes one set of shoes(on feet) and laptop......makes mt cheap one way tix easier when jumping thru usually 7 airports--blah

Stash my gear in my car and pay a buddy to hold it and keep it running(battery)and fly to Bkk get 30 day  stamp+extend=burma run for free 30+extend=4 months

Can Pm me if want more info......I have over 100 reviews helping newbies on couchsurfing but now they want you to pay to access..so much for the whole "concept"...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You can not have   experienced Pattaya in such a short time. You just visited your own prejudices along a clichéd, jaded path. It's the last cosmopolitan city in Thailand, very Thai style in parts, inhabited by some of the best cheap and expensive restaurants, several beaches and surrounded by jungle, mountain and countryside. I like most places in Thailand except Phuket but I gave Phuket a couple of visits before I decided and got a lot of things done too.

my loss I guess....will be a regret I take to my grave...dont like the south as a whole

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Send me a postcard...hide your gold necklaces/and/ or watches...or rings..or anything of value

Isn't there a ferry from Hua HIn ? If so...I'll probably just make it a day trip from there.

• Like 1