Thinking to move to Phuket from Los Angeles :)

XtraFly

6 minutes ago, rumak said:

right on.   and that pretty much sums up "life in Thailand for Farangs"  .    IF i wrote a book it would have

many chapters.   Almost surely the beginning would have trials and tribulations.  Stories of loves found and loves lost.   Money lost.   Arms broken  (need some violence to keep people interested).   Narrow escapes

from Kymer princesses.                      

And then,  who knows?   Maybe a happy ending (the enduring type) .    But,  as is common knowledge, 

some will never enjoy the good things they could have.

Luckily there are some good books.

Private Dancer from Stephen Leather can't be mentioned often enough.

51DRaM3cT6L._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, digibum said:

What kind of visa do you plan on getting?  Truthfully, that will likely be your biggest issue residing in Thailand long-term.  

Looks like you are the first to post THE relevant question?

36 year old, working "online".

What visa and permission to stay based on what?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rumak said:

You're right ,  why not .  I just did say that giving pointers and relating experience can be helpful to even those here for a while.    In fact,  maybe more so than the newbie who doesn't yet have a clue.

i enjoy your experiences and suggestions   tb

Thank you.

Even if I have "suspicions", others may benefit from my advice, slight though it may be, gleaned over decades of livin' and lovin' in LOS.

My two cents talking pre 2020 life there: 

Asking about power cut outs and water suggests you think it is a tropical natural paradise - not really - there are nice parts but it is busy, lots of cars with big new underpasses and highways and byways. People are nice but no one thinks Westerners are special and not the best place for Thai culture;

Don't think Kamala or Rawai are special.  Karon and Kata are beautiful beaches;

Patong is busy with traffic  and a bit horrible but kind of fun and the beach is covered in jet skis and boats. You could find somewhere to stay there that is not so busy and has the stuff you need;

Goodish food options but nothing like where you are of course;

More expensive than other parts - there is nice accommodation throughout the island if you are happy to pay ;

Phuket town is charming in some parts. Nice old buildings and good food etc. 30 minutes or so from a beach; 

No or little air pollution;

Public transport is a pain and taxis a bit expensive but its not that big of a deal. The only scam I came across was poms trying to sell time share  .. turned the table.. got free accommodation for two separate weeks and said no thanks

I am looking to retire in the next 4 years and Phuket is a contender but it does seems a bit busy and brash so not sure

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Here's a funny thing, Portugal is well governed, safe, sunny, humane, and relaxed. Yet I felt thoroughly miserable and alone there. Thailand was never on my list of countries for retirement, and just look at my tagline!

Yet, on a personal level, I'm happier here than I was in Australia, New Zealand, Colombia, Mexico, Austria, Portugal, UK, US, Caribbean, Portugal and the PI.

Is there a local reason for your happiness?

965259097_atthebeachinbikini.jpg.25df542f5e4b160157d47fb24a327eb7.jpg.dc76508790661db8932dd87ec0ae1834.jpg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Public transport is a pain

Do they still have the 20 baht "buses" that travel between the town and the outlying places? They were just seating on the back of a truck, but did the job without breaking the budget.

The main problem for me was that they didn't go along the coast, so to get from Patong to Kata, one had to go into town and catch a different one to the desired destination.

• Like 2

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Is there a local reason for your happiness?

965259097_atthebeachinbikini.jpg.25df542f5e4b160157d47fb24a327eb7.jpg.dc76508790661db8932dd87ec0ae1834.jpg

Yes, I think I'd be fibbing if I did not include the long-haired baht magnets. But honestly, Colombia far exceeds Thailand in this regard. Many times as a visitor here, I fell foul of various small lurks and scams, nothing serious, arguments with taxi mafia, and the like, but these small annoyances mount up, more than once, I would leave vowing never to return.

But there's something intangible here, it's not just the companionship, but the atmosphere, the old school anything goes, 24/7 non stop party, all of that, got under my skin too.

And now it looks like it's not about to be coming back in our lifetimes, if ever. Too bad these dinosaurs want to take the country back to all the bad things about the past, that is, bad for everyone, but themselves, to whom the joyless laws, rules, and restrictions do not apply.

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Luckily there are some good books.

Private Dancer from Stephen Leather can't be mentioned often enough.

51DRaM3cT6L._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Before i was wasting time on this site..... i was learning Thai,  living the dream (sometimes with one

eye open ) ............ and reading some insightful and well-written books.   

Authors:  John Burdett,  Christopher G. Moore, Jack Needham, Collin Piprell  ....nd Stephen Leather

just a few for those of you who are tired of reading the daily covid reports

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do they still have the 20 baht "buses" that travel between the town and the outlying places? They were just seating on the back of a truck, but did the job without breaking the budget.

The main problem for me was that they didn't go along the coast, so to get from Patong to Kata, one had to go into town and catch a different one to the desired destination.

Yes, that's no accident, it's all planned for max inconvenience to you because that means max profiteering for them. They can be very organized when it suits them!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I learned from the true masters of the scene, Bernard Trink and Stickman, but both gone AWOL.

Bernard Trink passed away last October at the age of 90.  He was a Bangkok institution.  Stick on the other hand has fled back to Kiwi land.  Whether he ever resumes writing the Stickman site remains to be seen.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have that on my bookshelf. Sadly I dislike the "he said she said" format, so I'll have to continue reading it at some later date. I also disliked the female character quite a lot. Perhaps she reminds me of one I met and rejected in the past.

Probably essential reading for any newbie that has not yet experienced the delights of Thailand's farang nite scene.

I learned from the true masters of the scene, Bernard Trink and Stickman, but both gone AWOL.

To make it short: Read it! It's a great book.

Bernhard Trink knew maybe 20 years ago what was going on. And Stickman is not in Thailand anymore since many years.

StickBoy knows what is going on and he is in permanent contact with many bar managers (in Bangkok). He also owns the StickMan domain.

Stephen Leather also spends a lot of time in Thailand. He is also well informed about life in Thailand - since many years.

• Like 1

Visiting Thailand for a 2 week vacation and living here are two very different scenarios.  Most of the concerns you have can easily be sorted out.  Your biggest hurdle will be obtaining a visa to stay in the country legally.  Being that you are not employed by a company rules out that option.  You are under the age of 50 so cannot qualify for a retirement visa.  This makes it a bit more difficult to reside in the country legally.  Thailand doesn't quite know what to make of "digital nomads" and certainly has the officials stumped as to what to do with them.  (Technically they don't exist in the world of Thai immigration) 

Good luck in your move!

• Like 2

Xtrafly I would seriously consider the area called Rawai Beach.  Close proximity to Phuket town and great beaches as well as being one of the few areas in Phuket still lively.  The infrastructure is good regarding roads, internet, restaurants etc.  I have spent a couple months there a short while ago.

• Thanks 2

Just now, tlandtday said:

Xtrafly I would seriously consider the area called Rawai Beach.  Close proximity to Phuket town and great beaches as well as being one of the few areas in Phuket still lively.  The infrastructure is good regarding roads, internet, restaurants etc.  I have spent a couple months there a short while ago.

I don't know much about Phuket and I thought most people who live there want to live near a beach (and other attractions).

Why do people on that island visit Phuket town? Better/cheaper shopping? Maybe a hospital or what are the main reasons to visit Phuket town?

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know much about Phuket and I thought most people who live there want to live near a beach (and other attractions).

Why do people on that island visit Phuket town? Better/cheaper shopping? Maybe a hospital or what are the main reasons to visit Phuket town?

It's got ( or had ) a good market along the street where the buses leave from. Other than that I only stayed in the town if arrived late or catching an early ferry to Phi Phi.

• Like 1

It was much more exciting , before Internet, social media, etc

when you just took off somewhere and learnt about the place

when you arrived, maybe made few mistakes, but you soon

learnt the lay of the land if not ,you should not have left your

home country.

To OP if after a while you plan to stay here ,the best optain,

but expensive,maybe not for you, at 36 is the Elite Visa, but

don't invest in that until you are sure Thailand is for you.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

It was much more exciting , before Internet, social media, etc

when you just took off somewhere and learnt about the place

when you arrived, maybe made few mistakes, but you soon

learnt the lay of the land if not ,you should not have left your

home country.

To OP if after a while you plan to stay here ,the best optain,

but expensive,maybe not for you, at 36 is the Elite Visa, but

don't invest in that until you are sure Thailand is for you.

regards worgeordie

There was a time when people read books.

1953guide

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We are currently in a "pandemic" situation and many areas of Phuket have been devastated.  The only place where a sence of normailty right now is Phuket town as it is mainly Thais and the malls, restaurants etc. are not shuttered like so many tourist areas.  Unless you go there yourself and spend the time to see it you cannot begin to comprehend how badly areas like Kata etc. have been effected.  

At 36 and the owner of an online company what kind of visa would you get?  Before deciding you want to move to PKT decide on what kind of visa you could qualify for?  I presume you want a long term visa and not a short term visa?  Also, the entire COE+Mandatory Covid 19 Insurance requirements could be around a lot longer than many of us anticipate.  

• Thanks 1

Obviously you will make a post- covid / pre- movement ground recon. ....

Its All Here. Full Service Economy. KEEP YOUR WITS ABOUT YOU. 

Like Anywhere Really ........ Study The Culture.

Very Fine Italian / Other Restaurants abound.

Full Tropical Island Lifestyle : Weather/ Beach / Jungle Hill/ Sailing/ Scuba/

Gyms/ Food / Malls (high end) / City ( small)/ Intl Airport/ Nightlife/ Dating.

Location & House ( New) & Vehicle ( New) are your largest initial issues.

Right Developer New Build House will prevent you needing Lawyer/ Builder.

Try to avoid directly using Agents /Lawyers/ Builders / Used Gear.......

Use Good Managing Architect for any Custom House Build/ Land Purchase.

Use Good Broker for Local Insurances (House/ Car / Health/ Accident)

Bangtao Laguna or Rawai / Kata House possibly, given your profile.....

”Other places in Thailand”.....er, just No.......based on your profile...seen ‘em all.

Any  Best House needs Management (Very Important)/AC/Hot Water Tank / Car Port/ Sundeck/ Wood Floors & Shutters/ Western Kitchen/ Swim Pool/ Garden/ Large Balcony, Large Windows& Doors / Hill Jungle  SEA Views.

Using Good House Developer / Architect removes considerable Work / Risk / Worry., leaving you free to focus on enjoying the Tropical Island Lifestyle.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, XtraFly said:

9- What made you guys move from America or Europe, etc. ?

you should better ask what made guys move from Phuket (or Thailand at whole) back to America or Europe.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Espanol said:

IMO Pattaya has all that and also cheap and close to Bangkok 

yeah but pattaya also has the worst roads in thailand, poor beaches with high pollution levels unsuitable for swimming and some of the worst air pollution in all of Thailand during high season and burning season so it really is not the same...

• Like 1

Phuket?  Hmm, let's see what happened to me and my guesthouse business over the 10 years or so that I lived in Phuket:

- 2 of my staff shot dead - police didn't bother to investigate.

- My personal car stolen and crashed by a druggie - police not interested

- My $100,000 investment guesthouse 'invaded' by druggies and I physically ejected - police supported the druggies because they (the police) were the druggies' main customer

- Me threatened at gunpoint by druggies and warned never to return to the island - I didn't

Yep - I had a lovely time there NOT ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Phuket?  Hmm, let's see what happened to me and my guesthouse business over the 10 years or so that I lived in Phuket:

- 2 of my staff shot dead - police didn't bother to investigate.

- My personal car stolen and crashed by a druggie - police not interested

- My $100,000 investment guesthouse 'invaded' by druggies and I physically ejected - police supported the druggies because they (the police) were the druggies' main customer

- Me threatened at gunpoint by druggies and warned never to return to the island - I didn't

Yep - I had a lovely time there NOT ????

I think having a business in thailand is not such a good idea....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Phuket Town?

Several major hospitals

Immigration and many government offices 

Two Central shopping malls 

Many car and motorcycle dealerships, repair shops, etc 
Old town nightlife (kind of a Thai hipster vibe) 

It’s sort of like asking why someone that lives in Hua Hin would visit Bangkok.  

You have everything you need to live in Hua Hin, but Bangkok just has stuff you can’t get in Hua Hin.  

Plus, if you own a car, it’s never more than a 30 min drive from any point on the island.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, rumak said:

Before i was wasting time on this site..... i was learning Thai,  living the dream (sometimes with one

eye open ) ............ and reading some insightful and well-written books.   

Authors:  John Burdett,  Christopher G. Moore, Jack Needham, Collin Piprell  ....nd Stephen Leather

just a few for those of you who are tired of reading the daily covid reports

While I’ve loved all of those books, I don’t know, like they used to seem more realistic 20 or more years ago than they do today.  

Like the whole pay to play scene, especially in Bangkok, seems more volume driven than it once was.  

Ot went from the girlfriend experience, to longtime, to short-time only.  

You can go to Soi Cowboy and you’ll often find tourists pushing baby strollers down the Soi as they gawk at the nightlife scene.

There’s a Hooters across from Nana Plaza now.  

It’s all become, and continues to be, a bit gentrified.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1