Thinking to move to Phuket from Los Angeles :)

XtraFly

On 7/18/2021 at 4:29 AM, sallecc said:

One guy even posted that "closest thing to Italian he had in Phuket was Pizza Hut", that's just ridiculous...

I remember my first scouting trip to Phuket, I was having a beer in a little bar and mentioned that I was looking to move here.  

One guy said, “Hopefully you can start a business making pizza, because that’s what we need here, another farang owned pizza place.”

Obviously he was being sarcastic because every third business seems to be a pizza place.  

Not sure where that Pizza Hut comment is coming from other than ignorance.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

the ladyboys await amongst other delights........cash only.....double wrap

Did you expect her to be able to swipe your credit card between her butt-cheeks?

And, next time, just use proper lube (Liquid Silk) rather than a mouth-full of gob!

(Just kidding!)

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better!

22 hours ago, XtraFly said:

Very interesting. What makes you think LA can be better than Phuket, or what do you dislike the most about Phuket or miss about America ?

Too many limitations in a 3rd world Junta ruled country for too many things. It starts from daily life things such as super markets, cars, handymen etc. continous to food supply, healthcare ( even if money is secondary ), schooling and LANGUAGE SKILLS. Visa regulations. On the other hand... nice beaches, cheap rents, very flexible laws and endless girls. Struggle more and more due to the lack of education of the people and the ineptibilty of the people in charge running the show.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, digibum said:

Most people have no idea what they’re talking about.  

Like when someone complains about traffic in Phuket, even 20 years ago, it often took me 1.5 hours to go 12 miles in LA.    It’s 10x worse today.  

Or people talk about crime in Thailand.  LOL, try going to a fast food restaurant in LA that has bulletproof glass like a bank between the cashier and the customers.  

Poverty?  My buddy owns a multi-million home in Venice (why he didn’t just move a few blocks south to Marina del Rey, I have no idea) and he’s got people deficating in front of his house.  

Way better in Phuket.  

You sound like an Angeleno that knows LOL. I’m glad I found someone that knows what is real LA and not thinking LA in the movies lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Did you expect her to be able to swipe your credit card between her butt-cheeks?

And, next time, just use proper lube (Liquid Silk) rather than a mouth-full of gob!

(Just kidding!)

I never use my CC in LOS  cash is king

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2021 at 10:12 PM, tlandtday said:

Xtrafly I would seriously consider the area called Rawai Beach.  Close proximity to Phuket town and great beaches as well as being one of the few areas in Phuket still lively.  The infrastructure is good regarding roads, internet, restaurants etc.  I have spent a couple months there a short while ago.

I appreciate you, I'm comparing phuket to Samui past few days, and so far Samui seems like a good fit for me. not sure yet gotta visit for few weeks or couple of months and compare the two, but I appreciate the advice.

IMO this is a very bad idea for 36yo to move here permanently especially now.

No matter what is floated in the press you will be visa grubbing continually and imo it will not be easy.

Even spending four months here in cool season will be problematic as soon as a few years. Everything will return to normal and that means sour immigration and consular attitudes.

Settle in Cambodia and trip here in cool season as you can for the beaches.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

sir, nobody moves to thailand because he wants to. we are all here because we HAVE to.

in other words, we are economic / psychological refugees / rejects of out home countries.

and i guess you are on your way to here too.

because seriously, why would you ask so many settling down questions about a place you never even visited?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, kynikoi said:

IMO this is a very bad idea for 36yo to move here permanently especially now.

No matter what is floated in the press you will be visa grubbing continually and imo it will not be easy.

Even spending four months here in cool season will be problematic as soon as a few years. Everything will return to normal and that means sour immigration and consular attitudes.

Settle in Cambodia and trip here in cool season as you can for the beaches.

LOL:
you do know 90% of things (outside of Alcohol  an cigarettes') cost more and value for $$, Thailand wins hands down

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

People always jump to conclusions here, its what the keyboard warriors do>>> as to my point about 90% more, i was referring to Cambodia vs Thailand

When i was 32, set out on a 18 month bicycle trip thru SE Asia and than moved to Thailand when i was 34
Never Looked back

Go For IT

When I was 18 I took a one way trip to the US for a summer vacation, and I'v been calling it home since then, but I'm in search for my next summer vacation if you know what I mean. LOL

Edited by XtraFly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2021 at 1:28 AM, sallecc said:

That's also not fair... Phuket is not only Patong, same as BKK is not only Soi Cowboy, it's great city with much more to see, same as Phuket is great island with many more beautiful places then Patong.

I like Phuket old Town. But the coastal area is spoilt by the lack of transport. The thuggish locals are off putting especially taxi and tuk tuk drivers who offer little fair service and seem to be trouble makers. Phuket has no depth, scale or width and a real absence of any sense of size. It has quite a few well organized outdoor activities. Nightlife is much less varied and much more expensive than Pattaya. But I also found the locals in general off putting being southern Thais not the Issan people who populate Pattaya. Finally the type of young male tourists who visited Phuket seem a lost cause..I prefer genuine mongers out on the town with girls. The guys I saw could have just stayed home drinking watching TV. What summed up Phuket for me was the game where people hammer nails into a piece of wood. What a noisy, time wasting, vacuous waste of energy! It's all irrelevant now. Both Phuket and Pattaya are finished now but with its greater areas of natural beauty and coastal beauty spots Phuket will have beach appeal and thus attract the scuba, boat, beach set. I have zero interest in beaches sand or Seaside apart from evening meals. The best experience I had in Phuket was not my two two week holidays but the madly explosive, pyrotechnics and self mortification of the nine gods vegetarian festival. Absolutely brilliant!

• Confused 4

6 hours ago, billythehat said:

“If it was me and I have nothing positive or helpful to say I would maintain my silence instead of projecting my fears and insecurities on others.”

Sir, you asked and they responded. If you don’t want to hear replies that are, indeed, contradictory to your plans and visions, don’t ask the question. Most of the replies will be from well-meaning (young at heart) old codgers that have been there since the last ice-age and just passing on their own life wisdom and experience; those still in possession of some semblance of sanity, of course.

It is with some reluctance that I have to agree with some of the advice given by some of the venerable turkeys’ on this forum, the most sage I would suggest is the practice of ‘try before you buy.’  Yes, most definitely go but should you hear the words “I lub yoo too mutt!” run, sir, yes run, run like the wind.  

I LUB YOU THOO Billy ????

On 7/17/2021 at 6:11 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Finally visited pattaya after 12 yearly visits to LOS...left the next day...not my scene.....nor is the south as a whole..ripoff

Plenty of great places in the South that have great beaches, that aren't a ripoff. You just don't know about them. 

4 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Plenty of great places in the South that have great beaches, that aren't a ripoff. You just don't know about them. 

Beaches-sand and water dont impress me...Ive lived all my life on the east coast  been there done that...Im in LOS as an expat --not a tourist-- i stay put up north

4 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Beaches-sand and water dont impress me...Ive lived all my life on the east coast  been there done that...Im in LOS as an expat --not a tourist-- i stay put up north

That's fine. Just your personal preference.

Like I said, plenty of places in the South that aren't a tourist rip-off, you just don't know about them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 6:58 PM, simon43 said:

Phuket?  Hmm, let's see what happened to me and my guesthouse business over the 10 years or so that I lived in Phuket:

- 2 of my staff shot dead - police didn't bother to investigate.

- My personal car stolen and crashed by a druggie - police not interested

- My $100,000 investment guesthouse 'invaded' by druggies and I physically ejected - police supported the druggies because they (the police) were the druggies' main customer

- Me threatened at gunpoint by druggies and warned never to return to the island - I didn't

Yep - I had a lovely time there NOT ????

I love posts like that because they support my contention that farangs should abide by the 3 golden rules

1/ don't buy property in LOS

2/ don't start a business in LOS.

3/ never put more into a Thai relationship than one can afford to lose.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 1:25 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Unless one has PR or citizenship IMO one is still a tourist, but with an extendable visa.

• Like 2