How much is Bangkok bank charge fee when transferring 2M THB from overseas

Bangkok Bank charges a receiving fee of 0.25% of the transfer amount (minimum 200 baht, maximum 500 baht) plus a cash payout fee of 150 baht per transaction. You can also receive money via the Western Union Money Transfer Service at any Bangkok Bank branch or exchange booth across Thailand with no charges.

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's also best not to send baht

If you use Wise, you can only send Baht, the conversion is done at their end and not here.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Eindhoven said:

Pound Sterling example:

Bangkok Bank exchange rate: 44.85750 (£44,585) then add another 500(£11) baht. So it would cost you £44,596 currently.

Wise exchange rate: 45.15080 (£44,296) Wise charges £226.75. So you would have to send a total of £44,522.75 currently.

I think WISE can organise the money to be marked as funds from abroad if you choose a certain option.

But it would cost you at your 'foreign' bank to do the transfer via SWIFT, plus the Bht 500 at Bkk Bank.

That charge varies greatly from one bank to another.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

It's best to transfer in the currency of your country, don't  send

it as Thai Baht ,you will get a better rate.

regards worgeordie

Cannot send GBP via Wise though.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

But it would cost you at your 'foreign' bank to do the transfer via SWIFT, plus the Bht 500 at Bkk Bank.

That charge varies greatly from one bank to another.

I didn't add that as I don't know which bank her will use or even which country. Though I should have added that as an item the OP needs to check. In fact I will edit and add it so that the OP doesn't miss it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Read his post title again.

you read it again, anyone who uses Wise knows Bangkok Bank wouldn't charge anything, the implication is he's doing a transfer from his countrys bank direct to Bangkok Bank, of course he could change his mind and do it another way

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Pound Sterling example:

Bangkok Bank exchange rate: 44.85750 (£44,585) then add another 500(£11) baht. So it would cost you £44,596 currently.

Wise exchange rate: 45.15080 (£44,296) Wise charges £226.75. So you would have to send a total of £44,522.75 currently.

I think WISE can organise the money to be marked as funds from abroad if you choose a certain option.

You can't compare like that as the Bangkok Bank exchange rate would be when it settled not when the transfer is done

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I can. The figures are for today. So an accurate comparison can be made if describing it thus:

If you received your Bangkok Bank transfer today it would cost (the figure I quoted).

If you sent it with WISE today it would cost (the figure I quoted).

Of course everyone understands the exchange rate fluctuations can occur. That is why it makes sense to refer to a particular point in time when creating an illustration.

Otherwise it would be impossible to make a simple comparison, using something that has not yet even occurred.

This way it is easy for the OP to understand. 

Though your point was worth mentioning. As using the bank to bank method, there is the possibility of the rate weakening/strengthening abroad by the time the transfer is settled. 

The only way to properly compare is send using both methods and see, but that's variable depending if rates strengthening or weakening, I did a test a few years ago, Clarity card was best, followed by Wise, followed by a bank transfer. If a currency was moving up quickly, which can happen, a bank transfer would most likely be better

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The only way to properly compare is send using both methods and see, but that's variable depending if rates strengthening or weakening, I did a test a few years ago, Clarity card was best, followed by Wise, followed by a bank transfer. If a currency was moving up quickly, which can happen, a bank transfer would most likely be better

The only way for the OP to do so would be to use both methods at the same time. But how to know the precise amount to spend with each method in order to compare?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

The only way for the OP to do so would be to use both methods at the same time. But how to know the precise amount to spend with each method in order to compare?

The answer varies everytime depending how rates are moving but generally Wise will be better. The problem with Wise is the doubt it won't be recorded as "International" so if buying a condo most will just opt for an old fashioned bank transfer

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The answer varies everytime depending how rates are moving but generally Wise will be better. The problem with Wise is the doubt it won't be recorded as "International" so if buying a condo most will just opt for an old fashioned bank transfer

Indeed Wise do flag up the potential problem about the issuance of the FET form as per the note at the bottom of this web page. Fair play that they are transparent on this matter.

https://wise.com/help/articles/2932335/guide-to-thb-transfers

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's also best not to send baht

Definitely. Do not ask your foreign bank to send THB. Let the conversion to THB be done by your Thai bank, which results in a much better exchange rate for you.

For a SWIFT transfer, by Thai banks often called TT or telegraphic transfer, the Thai bank's fee is THB 500 for the amount you mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Pound Sterling example:

Bangkok Bank exchange rate: 44.85750 (£44,585) then add another 500(£11) baht. So it would cost you £44,596 plus whatever your home bank will charge you for the transfer currently.

Always send in your home currency as advised. Don't allow your home bank to do the conversion. If you do the rate will be relatively poor and you will likely have to send even more to obtain 2,000,000 baht.

I think you have your math wrong.

Let’s use the £44,296 amount.

Wise:  £44,296 * 44.1508 = ฿1,955,704 (less £226.75 or ฿10,011) = ฿1,945,693 received

Swift:  £44,296 * 44.8575 = ฿1,987,008 (less £25 (@฿1,125) bank charges for swift fees) and an additional ฿500 from Bangkok Bank) =  ฿1,985,383 received.

7B9AB9DE-46CA-4D38-9E2A-94ECF269A022.jpeg

Edited by Airalee
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I think you have your math wrong.

Let’s use the £44,296 amount.

Wise:  £44,296 * 44.1508 = ฿1,955,704 (less £226.75 or ฿10,011) = ฿1,945,693 received

Sometimes it's better to not post if you don't know what you're on about.

The arithmetic in this transaction is 2,000,000/44.1508 which is £44,296 as originally posted.  The OP would then have to add Wise's fee of £226.75 which means he would have to spend £44,522.75 to get 2,000,000 THB into his account, which is what he wants.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, treetops said:

Sometimes it's better to not post if you don't know what you're on about.

The arithmetic in this transaction is 2,000,000/44.1508 which is £44,296 as originally posted.  The OP would then have to add Wise's fee of £226.75 which means he would have to spend £44,522.75 to get 2,000,000 THB into his account, which is what he wants.

My math is correct.

2,000,000/44.1508 is £45,299. Then add the £226.75 and he would have to spend £45,526.75

2,000,000/44.8575 is £44,586.  Then add the £25 Swift fee and £11 Bangkok Bank fee and he would spend £44,622

He spends more using Transferwise.

You’re welcome.

• Confused 1