Thais unconvinced by govt’s unique mix-and-match jab policy

Jonathan Fairfield

41 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

It is being done based upon studies and is happening elsewhere as well. 

There is nothing in the article to indicate it will “obviously” change over time.  Please provide link to credible evidence that this will be the case. 

How about this?

Germany to donate all remaining AstraZeneca vaccines in Aug

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/germany-donate-all-remaining-astrazeneca-vaccines-aug-2021-07-07/

23 minutes ago, placeholder said:

How about this?

The cabinet decided that at least 500,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine would be given to the COVAX consortium,

Cool.

Too bad Thailand is not part of COVAX.

A decision that prayut and anutin made. Oops.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

How about this?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/germany-donate-all-remaining-astrazeneca-vaccines-aug-2021-07-07/

More about donating vaccines. 

Fair enough I concede that there is one sentence saying they are not ordering any az for next year so unlikely to happen in Germany next year. The article doesn’t say why this is the case though. 

However the studies for  mix and match are showing there is a case for it and there is nothing in that article saying it will not happen in the future. 

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

And that last sentence is very probably the sum total of Thailand's scientific data.

This is quite clearly and simply to get themselves out of the hole they have dug for themselves by not having sufficient AZ vaccine to give people their second dose, together with the rapidly emerging need to give their medical personnel who have had two jabs of Sinovac a booster shot of something, anything really, that might work.

" Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we seek to deceive!"

What a mess.

I’m not defending the Thai govts approach, I am not aware of any studies supporting the case for sinovac and az.

My posts are more focused upon az-Pfizer/Moderna combinations. 

There are studies arguing this is a viable option- though having done a bit of googling into az being phased out in Australia and possibly Germany the argument for this combo may be moot. 

Unique!!!!! Its called desperation. The Thai people have gotten wise to the Sinovac. If you cant get people to take Sinovac Your screwed Mr. PM. You dont have enough AZ to vaccinate 70% of the population. You have no choice. You have to buy Western Vaccines or watch many Thai and foreigners die and sorry one jab of AZ is not going to work

Edited by club
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, law ling said:

Very brave (or fool-hardy) of authorities here to proceed with jab-mixing - which is against WHO guidelines.

just to be clear they  said that it hasn't been thoroughly tested not that it causes death but i get your point ... you dont want to mix

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ifmu said:

just to be clear they  said that it hasn't been thoroughly tested not that it causes death but i get your point ... you dont want to mix

WHO’s stance

WHO chief scientist Dr Soumya Swaminathan warned earlier this month that mixing and matching COVID-19 vaccine was “a dangerous trend”. However, she clarified that her warning applied to individuals, not to public health authorities, who she said may make their own decisions on combining jabs.

Dr Renu Madanlal Gargy, acting WHO representative to Thailand, confirmed that the global health agency would not object to Thailand’s policy, since each country needed to choose a vaccine policy based on its context as well as scientific data.

31 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

WHO’s stance

WHO chief scientist Dr Soumya Swaminathan warned earlier this month that mixing and matching COVID-19 vaccine was “a dangerous trend”. However, she clarified that her warning applied to individuals, not to public health authorities, who she said may make their own decisions on combining jabs.

Dr Renu Madanlal Gargy, acting WHO representative to Thailand, confirmed that the global health agency would not object to Thailand’s policy, since each country needed to choose a vaccine policy based on its context as well as scientific data.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2147667/sinovac-produced-antibodies-halve-every-40-days   Why would you mix any vaccine that does this every 40 days. Might as well put water in your arm. Thai government has boxed itself in because of not buying other vaccines beside AZ and vaccines from China. Very dumb

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

I’m not defending the Thai govts approach, I am not aware of any studies supporting the case for sinovac and az.

My posts are more focused upon az-Pfizer/Moderna combinations. 

There are studies arguing this is a viable option- though having done a bit of googling into az being phased out in Australia and possibly Germany the argument for this combo may be moot. 

I don't doubt you at all.

I do doubt the Thai government. I suspect that they are seizing the suggestion of mixing vaccines to get them out of some of their problems. I doubt research comes into it!

1 hour ago, club said:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2147667/sinovac-produced-antibodies-halve-every-40-days   Why would you mix any vaccine that does this every 40 days. Might as well put water in your arm. Thai government has boxed itself in because of not buying other vaccines beside AZ and vaccines from China. Very dumb

I never said mix and match with sinovac 

13 minutes ago, club said:

That's all they have , Cant you figure that out by now?

I know that is all that’s available but that doesn’t change the fact I have not advocated  mix and matching with sinovac as a reliable strategy. 

Are you able to comprehend that?

Edited by Bluespunk

On 7/18/2021 at 7:17 AM, colinneil said:

No worries they are Thai, they know better than any other people.:cheesy:

Reminds me of being in Woolworths as a child..... Pick and mix.????????

A blast from the past mid 60's.

Woolies on a Saturday morning, pick-n-mix then into the local Odeon for cartoons as a treat while parents went shopping in "Pricerights" opposite side of the road.

• Like 1

this is my own personal view and what i intend to do.its all a bit murky of course.i will not take any china jab as its not effective against the indian variant.as for mix and match using this ...no way ill refuse it.i will take AZ as a 1st jab and take it along with J&J pfizer moderna as a 1st or 2nd.this appears the best course to me.as for what can be in done in the short term.make the borders clear IE malaysia and burma where they have hi nos,seal them even at the cost of the hi so business elite losing money.the high cost of china vaccs need to be investigated and and law breaking most be punished and anutins/govts reckless behaviour must be punished too along with his racist rantings.our govts need to step up and fill the void.there is very little other option.some have IE france being the most competent,we cannot trust the govt here in this respect so i suggest the 5 eyes get together and jab their citizens,it will help the overall situation and help a totally incompetent vacc roll out,the staff at 5 eyes embassies have been jabbed so why we arnt also needs to be investigated.many of us are taxpayers.they will look bad  and are presently,the bodies are starting to pile up already.the arrogance of the uk and australian govts is a stark reminder of how the embassies operate but i think most of us are well aware of that already.contact your local MPs at home and rattle their cages severely,also the press at home,the wokesters should be reminded that no matter what colour we are ,we can all be victims.