Flying back to the USA

Farang123

Just now, Kelsall said:

Not to be fascetious, but getting to the airport.  How will you get from Chiang Mai to BKK?

There used to be flights directly from CNX to Korea, then to JFK. Looks like all flights go through BKK now. And I heard they are stopping domestic flights to red zones?  Good question actually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Farang123 said:

There used to be flights directly from CNX to Korea, then to JFK. Looks like all flights go through BKK now. And I heard they are stopping domestic flights to red zones?  Good question actually.

There have been no international flights out of CNX for over a year.  Yes,  all domestic in and out of BKK are cancelled.  Maybe hire a driver to get to BKK.  Bus and trains are cancelled too, I think.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

FWIW, I was scheduled to fly on EVA to the USA next week but Taiwan apparently decided to renew its ban on transit passengers from Thailand. That's what I was told by the airline, at least. So that flight was cancelled and I was rescheduled. They said my rescheduled flight may also be cancelled on short notice. Now that my CNX->BKK flight was just cancelled it's looking highly unlikely I'm going anywhere for a long while.

• Like 1

1. The Domestic Flight Ban is suppose to be only until August 4??? We shall see about that. 

2. My international flight from BKK to LAX is in late August? We shall see about that too.

3.  Used to be getting back into LOS was the challenging part.  Now it seems getting out is also going to be a challenge as well.  

4. I am transiting in Japan.  I saw the writing on the wall about EVA and Taiwan.  It appears Taiwan is shut tight and will be for a while.  It’s a shame because EVA is a great airline.  

Makes me wonder why come back??

My backup plan is always a long drive in a POV(privately owned vehicle).  Anyone know how much this might cost?   

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, clokwise said:

FWIW, I was scheduled to fly on EVA to the USA next week but Taiwan apparently decided to renew its ban on transit passengers from Thailand. That's what I was told by the airline, at least. So that flight was cancelled and I was rescheduled. They said my rescheduled flight may also be cancelled on short notice. Now that my CNX->BKK flight was just cancelled it's looking highly unlikely I'm going anywhere for a long while.

Sorry to hear that. The flight I'm looking at booking flies  through Seoul. 

• Like 1

If you not flying until August then present status is moot.

Re: EVA - I flew with them for over 15 years. Until this Covid Horse hockey started.They cancelled my flight in March. I received a refund in November.

Never again.

• Like 1

I believe that is it, for departures. The big hoop jumps come when and if, you're returning to Thailand.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started looking in earnest this weekend. First up, Taiwan lockdown. However cases are falling there and they're looking at easing lockdown. Whatever that means. Eva would be my first choice too. 

I was going to wait until August 15, but after the Thai government revelations/confirmations of the last week, I will just wait ten days, until the beginning of August to see if any of my sign ups comes through. If not I will be flying back, although will look and compare with Guam.

The Korean airline I pulled up, had a LONG stop over time between connecting flights. JAL was transferring you to another airport (did I read that right??)  then on to LA so I have to get another connecting flight from there. And then need to price a car from Chiang Mai to The Swamp. 

Closest I came to Moderna, was getting stuffed in last weeks CM RAM traffic jam, while M-cycling to morning swim. Odds are I will be flying back come August. Happy travels, hope all works;  Farang123, Sqwakvfr & Clokwise. 

Aloha

11 hours ago, Farang123 said:

I will also book a private car to BKK. That is unless even those are prohibited. I don't care how much it costs.

You should get it about 20000 bth. I pay 8500 bth from Loei to BKK. But that was last year.

I'm in Guam right now.  Came in on July 5 from BKK through Narita via ANA booked through a code share with United Airlines, the big player in Micronesia.  I booked business class, which was a real waste for the Narita-Guam portion since they're using a 737 now.  ANA Business class from BKK to Narita was great, however.  

Was able to get to BKK from CNX on July 4 on Bangkok Air.  That's a thing of the past, now, isn't it?  Don't know how I'm going to return to CNX when I get back to BKK and serve out my quarantine, however.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NancyL said:

I'm in Guam right now.  Came in on July 5 from BKK through Narita via ANA booked through a code share with United Airlines, the big player in Micronesia.  I booked business class, which was a real waste for the Narita-Guam portion since they're using a 737 now.  ANA Business class from BKK to Narita was great, however.  

Was able to get to BKK from CNX on July 4 on Bangkok Air.  That's a thing of the past, now, isn't it?  Don't know how I'm going to return to CNX when I get back to BKK and serve out my quarantine, however.  

Congratulations.  Being proactive has its rewards.

16 hours ago, canthai55 said:

If you not flying until August then present status is moot.

Re: EVA - I flew with them for over 15 years. Until this Covid Horse hockey started.They cancelled my flight in March. I received a refund in November.

Never again.

I flew EVA the last 15 years also. The premium Elite class was so worth it.  No long check in line.  Easy pre boarding.  The seats used to be great with reclining and foot supports.  However the latest planes changed the seats to <deleted>.  No foot rests on your seat, instead there are foot pegs on the seat in front of you.  And the seat arm rests are not as wide either.   What used to be a wonderfully comfortable enjoyable affordable flight has gone the way of the dodo.

20 hours ago, Farang123 said:

https://suvarnabhumi.airportthai.co.th/flights

There are a few hope you can catch one maybe they update it.  For today 90% including many international shows canceled.  

Edited by bkk6060

A couple weeks ago when I was leaving ASQ in bangkok the staff were quoting 7k to Lampang and 8k baht to Chiang Mai for personal car with driver.  I rented a car and drove up.  Cost about 4.5k baht, including gas and taxi to rental agency.  The minimum 5 day rental for one-way drop off was cheaper than a 1-2 day rental and the 5k fee they charge for one-way.  Prices may have increased now due to the rapidly changing situation. 

• Like 2

When you book a flight from BKK to the USA nearly all transit via Japan or Taiwan. Taiwan has been stopping transits from Thailand on and off for the past year, now they are on again. Pity because I always enjoyed the EVA air flights. I think Japan airports are going to be in trouble, Japans vaccination % is very low and right now a State of Emergency has been declared. Soon the Olympic Games will begin. Already before the games begin athletes are testing positive inside the bubble. I really do not see hew they can finish the games with this situation in play. 

I am hoping to get back to the USA in September. Give the above, I decided to fly back on Lufthansa through Frankfurt. When I planned this journey, i wanted to go through an airport where international passengers do not have to enter the Schengen area, in Frankfurt, international flights are in the same terminal. Also there is a decent hotel inside the international terminal. 

I also looked at the history of the location with the COVID situation. Frankfurt has never closed or denied transit passengers. 

Time will tell if I can make this journey if anyone is looking to go back to the USA stay away from Japan, Taiwan or Seoul - go the other way. 

• Thanks 2

I flew out JAL/AA code share one month ago. Both legs were 90% full. Going to the US you can get the test anytime 3 days before the flight. If you have a early Friday morning flight, you can get the test anytime Tuesday.

Why does the Order specify 3 days rather than 72 hours? What is considered 3 days?

The 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 3-day timeframe instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the traveler. By using a 3-day window, test validity does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test was administered.

For example, if a passenger’s flight is at 1pm on a Friday, the passenger could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2021 at 10:42 PM, NancyL said:

Did you go to Guam for your vaccination? Do we need to have 14 days quarantine in Thailand even after full vaccination?