Flying back to the USA

Farang123

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Do we need to have 14 days quarantine in Thailand even after full vaccination?

I flew into BKK May of this year, fully vaccinated (Pfizer) and while my ASQ hotel was booked for 14 days, they let me go after 7 days. 

• Like 1

Just now, bbko said:

I flew into BKK May of this year, fully vaccinated (Pfizer) and while my ASQ hotel was booked for 14 days, they let me go after 7 days. 

Rules changed back to 14 days for all just after you arrived.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Did you go to Guam for your vaccination? Do we need to have 14 days quarantine in Thailand even after full vaccination?

Yes, 14 days quarantine is mandated. I plan to return to Phuket and serve my time there.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 12:24 PM, moonraker007 said:

For the UK, PCR test has to be 72 hours or less before flight departure. By the way, is anyone looking to share drive Chiang Mai to Bangkok in August. I am thinking of using a pick-up and drop rental.

I need to go to BKK around that date , although flights are scheduled to begin on July 31 st .

I may take a car with you if its the better option . 

I have found a PCR test in CM for 3100 Baht

On 7/19/2021 at 10:08 PM, Farang123 said:

No, 20,000 is way too much. I talked to a guy today he said he can do it for 10,000. That is if the government allows it.

I paid 8500 last time, a few years back now so sounds accurate considering covid also (prices never go up much here lol)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bunnydrops said:

I flew out JAL/AA code share one month ago. Both legs were 90% full. Going to the US you can get the test anytime 3 days before the flight. If you have a early Friday morning flight, you can get the test anytime Tuesday.

Why does the Order specify 3 days rather than 72 hours? What is considered 3 days?

The 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 3-day timeframe instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the traveler. By using a 3-day window, test validity does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test was administered.

For example, if a passenger’s flight is at 1pm on a Friday, the passenger could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

So If I go in for a test on a Tuesday, then I will get the results Wednesday right? Does the 3 days start from the moment the test was administered or when you get the results?

Thanks all for the helpful clarifications.

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Flew to the US a few weeks ago. JAL. Only needed a PCR test, per the airlines requirement. Easy peasy.  Swampy was empty and no lines. Transit in Japan was easy, as usual.

Landed and had a jab within 2 hours. Life is pretty good here. Won't go back until probably next year. Sadly.

What jab did you get and did you get the second one as well? Welcome back.

3 hours ago, Farang123 said:

So If I go in for a test on a Tuesday, then I will get the results Wednesday right? Does the 3 days start from the moment the test was administered or when you get the results?

I'm getting the PCR test at Bangkok Hospital CM. Same day results 4400 baht. Book in advance, they have a limited # tests per day.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you are giving up on Thailand but not surprised???? I understand that the Thai government will be happy for another dirty faring to leave but they respectfully request that you leave your money behind????

9 hours ago, Farang123 said:

It is from when you get the test, but I noticed that some (I have been tested twice) send to the labs in batches, At one place I was tested in the morning at 10 but the test result showed 3:30 in the afternoon. The other showed the exact time.

15 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Flew to the US a few weeks ago. JAL. Only needed a PCR test, per the airlines requirement. Easy peasy.  Swampy was empty and no lines. Transit in Japan was easy, as usual.

Landed and had a jab within 2 hours. Life is pretty good here. Won't go back until probably next year. Sadly.

Ya, but the G.D. Japanese airline seats are SO SMALL for the bigger guys such as myself. It's like being trapped in a flying sardine can. ????

That's why I've religiously flown EVA via Taiwan for years....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 7/19/2021 at 10:42 PM, NancyL said:

I'm in Guam right now.  Came in on July 5 from BKK through Narita via ANA booked through a code share with United Airlines, the big player in Micronesia.  I booked business class, which was a real waste for the Narita-Guam portion since they're using a 737 now.  ANA Business class from BKK to Narita was great, however.  

Was able to get to BKK from CNX on July 4 on Bangkok Air.  That's a thing of the past, now, isn't it?  Don't know how I'm going to return to CNX when I get back to BKK and serve out my quarantine, however.  

Hi Nancy,  The reason I set up an account on ThaiVisa is that I wanted to reply to you concerning your posts regarding the proactive and quite major/costly steps you have taken in order to obtain a vaccine.  I found your post extremely interesting, and your post has sort of been on my mind.

I guess very few people living in a place where the Pfizer or Moderna is available for free might have gone to such lengths as you have done in order to get vaccinated, and there are, indeed, so many in the US who could get this vaccine for free, within a few minutes, just by walking down the road to their nearest pharmacist or hospital or clinic.  This makes you wonder a bit, I believe.

I am somewhat familiar with Guam, and there is really not much to do there, on the third day.  I am sure that you have brought with you some good books.  Guam is a beautiful island, and this is true, however, I suppose you will not be able to visit the philharmonic in Guam, due to the Covid restrictions on the island, which I most certainly agree with.

I commend you for taking the bull by the horns, and spending the money and the time to ensure that you are vaccinated.  Personally, at my old age, I dislike travelling by air, and I guess this excursion to Guam must have been a real challenge for you, as well.

Being on Guam, other than the philharmonic, you can visit Walmart, of which there is only one, as I recall.

Also, you can lease a sailing yacht and sail out through the channel into a wavy sea, which requires real seamanship.

Maybe, if you have time, you can visit the other island, near Guam, in Oceania, Saipan.  The economy is not good there.

Anyway, I do hope that you will post more about your visit to Guam, as I am quite interested, and this is really the only reason that I registered on the ThaiVisa website, just because I wanted to ask for more information from you.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Your friend, as always. (You seem a very smart lady, for sure.)

On 7/19/2021 at 10:42 PM, NancyL said:

I'm in Guam right now.  Came in on July 5 from BKK through Narita via ANA booked through a code share with United Airlines, the big player in Micronesia.  I booked business class, which was a real waste for the Narita-Guam portion since they're using a 737 now.  ANA Business class from BKK to Narita was great, however.  

Was able to get to BKK from CNX on July 4 on Bangkok Air.  That's a thing of the past, now, isn't it?  Don't know how I'm going to return to CNX when I get back to BKK and serve out my quarantine, however.  

Hi Nancy,  The reason I set up an account on ThaiVisa is that I wanted to reply to you concerning your posts regarding the proactive and quite major/costly steps you have taken in order to obtain a vaccine.  I found your post extremely interesting, and your post has sort of been on my mind.

I guess very few people living in a place where the Pfizer or Moderna is available for free might have gone to such lengths as you have done in order to get vaccinated, and there are, indeed, so many in the US who could get this vaccine for free, within a few minutes, just by walking down the road to their nearest pharmacist or hospital or clinic.  This makes you wonder a bit, I believe.

I am somewhat familiar with Guam, and there is really not much to do there, on the third day.  I am sure that you have brought with you some good books.  Guam is a beautiful island, and this is true, however, I suppose you will not be able to visit the philharmonic in Guam, due to the Covid restrictions on the island, which I most certainly agree with.

I commend you for taking the bull by the horns, and spending the money and the time to ensure that you are vaccinated.  Personally, at my old age, I dislike travelling by air, and I guess this excursion to Guam must have been a real challenge for you, as well.

Being on Guam, other than the philharmonic, you can visit Walmart, of which there is only one, as I recall.

Also, you can lease a sailing yacht and sail out through the channel into a wavy sea, which requires real seamanship.

Maybe, if you have time, you can visit the other island, near Guam, in Oceania, Saipan.  The economy is not good there.

Anyway, I do hope that you will post more about your visit to Guam, as I am quite interested, and this is really the only reason that I registered on the ThaiVisa website, just because I wanted to ask for more information from you.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Your friend, as always. (You seem a very smart lady, for sure.)

On 7/21/2021 at 11:50 PM, vandeventer said:

What jab did you get and did you get the second one as well? Welcome back.

Got 2 Pfizer jabs. One in Seattle and one in Denver. Both at Safeway with no questions asked.

Life is soooooo much better knowing your protected!

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya, but the G.D. Japanese airline seats are SO SMALL for the bigger guys such as myself. It's like being trapped in a flying sardine can. ????

That's why I've religiously flown EVA via Taiwan for years....

The plane was 80% empty. Got an entire row to myself!

I don't believe you can transit Taiwan now??

Edited by Jeffr2

One thing about Guam:  This is a very small island.  There is actually very little to do there.  If you rent a car, then you can drive around the island on the single road which circuits the island in a very short amount of time.  If you would wish to do so, then you might easily drive around the island about 10 times in one day, easily.

The only interesting place, on Guam, probably, is the US military base.  However, you will not be allowed into the base.  Probably, in my opinion, most of the interesting places on Guam are located within the US military base.  No doubt, there are some smart people there who might be interesting to talk to.  But, if you cannot get in, then, maybe, you will need to just read by yourself, and enjoy the beach at the Hyatt, etc.

There is the governor's house grounds, which you can visit, and this provides a very beautiful overlook to the ocean and good scenery.  However, one can only stand and look for so long before getting somewhat bored with it.

Guam is a very boring island, in fact, unless one has obligations for work reasons, in order to keep one busy, because this is actually not a tourist island.

Regarding the food available there, I really doubt that any gourmand would be willing to rave about the offerings.  Basically, you get typical food-court food, which is filling, yet not noteworthy.

It might be worth visiting the University of Guam, however, and I am sad that I did not do this, as far as I can recall, during short visits to the island.

One thing I missed out on was a scene such as this....

Charterdayperformance.jpg.024d93ccf558940984398509a5e761f5.jpg

Guam is a place that might be good for a hermit who was doing some sort of internet-based research and who did not want to be distracted from his/her work.  Probably, Guam would be good for doing a PhD dissertation edit, or maybe for someone who wanted to teach via the internet without distractions.

These days, I would guess, the usual tourists are not visiting Guam, and this is a definite PLUS.  IF I had the luxury to fly direct from my home without going through an airport, just using my private Gulfstream G650, then I would go to Guam, get vaccinated, and then, I would just sit on the beach in Guam, and ruminate concerning the very many mistakes and wrong turns I have made in my life.  And then, after this experience, and after being fully vaccinated, I would vow to do better with the rest of my life.

Guam can be a very good experience if we use this experience wisely, I believe.

Best to all here,

Stay well, and get vaccinated if possible.

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Best to all here,

So no qualms about Guam?

for the uninitiated that is....

30 minutes ago, AwwYesNice1 said:

So no qualms about Guam?

for the uninitiated that is....

As I stated, I am qualmish about Guam due to the fact that it is boring.  If you rent a car, there is no where to drive it, unless you just go back and forth to Walmart 20 times each day.

Guam has this giant outcropping cliff, about 100 meters off the ocean, near the Hyatt. This is some sort of famous park.  And, you could just sit there all day, if you want. I guess that Nancy will be doing much sitting there, and reading, too. Which is a good experience.

Then, you have your food-court food offered throughout the island, which is similar to Hawaiian food-court food.

Yet, you will not be able to attend any music recitals or presentations like you might find in Vienna, from my experience.

home-orchestra.jpg.b8f52a385c78f471a80a7aee3911e139.jpg

Mostly, you will need to be satisfied with things like grass skirts and native singing, which can be interesting, too.

As I stated....  The really smart guys, in my opinion, can be found at the military base in Guam, among the officers, and especially their wives.

Yet, everybody on the island is restricted from entering the base unless they might work there.

Guam is the nearest place to go to get a vaccination.  And....NANCY is totally smart about doing this.  I completely agree with her choice.

I am only saying that you need to take books with you, when you go, in order to protect your sanity.

Because, what good is it to visit Guam in order to get vaccinated, for physical health reasons, if one should lose their mind in the process, due to grass skirts and boredom?

Edited by GammaGlobulin

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As I stated, I am qualmish about Guam due to the fact that it is boring.  If you rent a car, there is no where to drive it, unless you just go back and forth to Walmart 20 times each day.

Guam has this giant outcropping cliff, about 100 meters off the ocean, near the Hyatt. This is some sort of famous park.  And, you could just sit there all day, if you want. I guess that Nancy will be doing much sitting there, and reading, too. Which is a good experience.

Then, you have your food-court food offered throughout the island, which is similar to Hawaiian food-court food.

Yet, you will not be able to attend any music recitals or presentations like you might find in Vienna, from my experience.

home-orchestra.jpg.b8f52a385c78f471a80a7aee3911e139.jpg

Mostly, you will need to be satisfied with things like grass skirts and native singing, which can be interesting, too.

As I stated....  The really smart guys, in my opinion, can be found at the military base in Guam, among the officers, and especially their wives.

Yet, everybody on the island is restricted from entering the base unless they might work there.

Guam is the nearest place to go to get a vaccination.  And....NANCY is totally smart about doing this.  I completely agree with her choice.

I am only saying that you need to take books with you, when you go, in order to protect your sanity.

Because, what good is it to visit Guam in order to get vaccinated, for physical health reasons, of one should lose their mind in the process, due to grass skirts and boredom?

Yeah Guam is really old hat compared to a night out in Vienna.

I think retired military are given base privileges there, where they can seek out those intelectual Officers you mentioned. 

Just now, AwwYesNice1 said:

Yeah Guam is really old hat compared to a night out in Vienna.

I think retired military are given base privileges there, where they can seek out those intelectual Officers you mentioned. 

Yes.  The guys from the US Army War College.  Super smart.

43 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

One thing about Guam:  This is a very small island.  There is actually very little to do there.  If you rent a car, then you can drive around the island on the single road which circuits the island in a very short amount of time.  If you would wish to do so, then you might easily drive around the island about 10 times in one day, easily.

The only interesting place, on Guam, probably, is the US military base.  However, you will not be allowed into the base.  Probably, in my opinion, most of the interesting places on Guam are located within the US military base.  No doubt, there are some smart people there who might be interesting to talk to.  But, if you cannot get in, then, maybe, you will need to just read by yourself, and enjoy the beach at the Hyatt, etc.

There is the governor's house grounds, which you can visit, and this provides a very beautiful overlook to the ocean and good scenery.  However, one can only stand and look for so long before getting somewhat bored with it.

Guam is a very boring island, in fact, unless one has obligations for work reasons, in order to keep one busy, because this is actually not a tourist island.

Regarding the food available there, I really doubt that any gourmand would be willing to rave about the offerings.  Basically, you get typical food-court food, which is filling, yet not noteworthy.

It might be worth visiting the University of Guam, however, and I am sad that I did not do this, as far as I can recall, during short visits to the island.

One thing I missed out on was a scene such as this....

Charterdayperformance.jpg.024d93ccf558940984398509a5e761f5.jpg

Guam is a place that might be good for a hermit who was doing some sort of internet-based research and who did not want to be distracted from his/her work.  Probably, Guam would be good for doing a PhD dissertation edit, or maybe for someone who wanted to teach via the internet without distractions.

These days, I would guess, the usual tourists are not visiting Guam, and this is a definite PLUS.  IF I had the luxury to fly direct from my home without going through an airport, just using my private Gulfstream G650, then I would go to Guam, get vaccinated, and then, I would just sit on the beach in Guam, and ruminate concerning the very many mistakes and wrong turns I have made in my life.  And then, after this experience, and after being fully vaccinated, I would vow to do better with the rest of my life.

Best to all here,

Impossible to drive around the island 10 times in a day. Lots of things to do in Guam. Some great fishing and scuba diving. I quite liked my visit there.

By the Way....I have a VERY helpful suggestion of a book to add to your reading list....as you navigate your TREK back to USA shores....

The title is:  NEMESIS

Author:  Philip Roth

This is one of this best books which was written at the end of his life.  Roth should have been awarded the NOBEL for literature...yet, he was unfairly passed over, maybe for political or other reasons, too unmentionable to be discussed here.

Be as this may, I still highly recommend this book to those who might get bored wending their way back home.

Roth, as you all know, was truly an amazing author.

And, during these hard times, sometimes it is comforting for us to read about history, and the days of our callowed youth, back in the day.

No need to thank me, but I just think you might gain some comfort from reading this book by Roth.  I think it is one of his best, and it might just help you to ward off boredom at a time when you are most bored.

Take a look at it; this book will not disappoint you.

Also...thanks to Nancy for writing about her travels these days...because....I have been thinking about what she is doing....these days.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

There used to be a blue bar at the top of the old Thaivisa page that let you "click here if you have mental problems..." Wonder where it has gone, don't see it around anymore. Somebody might need it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, madmen said:

Don't do it! 

Try not reading TV for a month and you will see the sky is not really falling 

Actually....honestly speaking.... I have tried to not read TV for many years, and then I came across Nancy's post.

OK, if you really want to know my honest opinion, I think TV is what you make it.  There are some really smart guys on TV who post some thoughts which are not unimportant, and which might be helpful to the community.

And then, if you read TV the wrong way, then it might be a lot of nothing, just because you chose to read the wrong posts.

At any rate, I would guess that TV is still the best you can find in Thailand, however you must pick and choose what you read.

If you want to just make an <deleted> out of yourself, just posting nonsense, or posting ironical statements that most readers find offensive, then....sure....you are bound to be let go.  Alternatively, if you wish to just be less edgy, or post with much less irony, then, I guess you can submit posts forever, until you die.

In my opinion, from reading a few TV articles and much TV content, I would say that TV is not really meant to be super serious.  And, ALSO, I think that the moderators here keep the content in check, so that it is both readable and also not too far out.

Maybe, in other words, posters here just must keep comments within the bounds of decent decorum and also make comments which do not cause general readers to feel too uncomfortable.

===========

So, anyway....

After reading Nancy's post about traveling to Guam, this brought back memories about my several trips to Guam, and just how bored I was there.

And, if I were to go to Guam, then I would definitely prepare for my trip by collecting enough books to be read at the beach at the Hyatt, under an umbrella.

One more thing:  The beach at Hyatt is really not that good.  It is small.  Compared to the beach at Naples, Florida, for example, there is no comparison.  Also, in Naples, Florida, we do have a symphony orchestra, even though rinky-dink compared to Vienna.

The beach at Hyatt is OK, for sitting, and reading.

No worries if you will go there.

One other thought, about Roth's NEMESIS book:

In this book, Roth's final book, as far as I know, just before this great author died, he used the Polio epidemic in New Jersey as a backdrop in order to discuss various other important topics which I found riveting.

Therefore, you can read his book, NEMESIS, on two levels.

Nemesis is a very satisfying book for old guys and old girls.

If you like Roth, then you will love this book.

I read this book a few years ago, before Covid hit us.

I can just about GUARANTEE that you will not be disappointed.

And, I am sure that you will come away from the reading of it feeling better than you do now, even if you feel great right now.

One other thing:  One thing, I think, Roth is a genius at is producing very long and coherent sentences, no matter how long they might be.

Roth's sentences are so amazing.

After reading Nancy's post, I thought to myself....If I were sitting at the beach in Guam, in front of the Hyatt, under an umbrella, then what might be the books that I would take with me.

In truth, I guess, I would just need to take all the books of Philip Roth, and just read as many as possible before I headed back, from Guam, to Chiang Mai.

Doing this, would not be a waste of time, for sure.