Changing Google In Firefox

MrSnrang

Is there any way to change settings of the search bar in Firefox so that it doesn't go to the Thai google but instead the American one?

Thanks.

Not a direct answer, but I set my home page to google.com/ncr and after reopening FF the search box is linked to ncr {no country required, defaults to US}

I know there is a way but dam*ed if I can remember... <more tablets nurse>

Regards

Is there any way to change settings of the search bar in Firefox so that it doesn't go to the Thai google but instead the American one?

Thanks.

with ff open click on tools, then click on options, then click on main.

should default open in main, then follow the choices.

I don't think he is refering to setting his homepage, but rather the google search bar that is available if you enter ctrl+k on the tool bar.

I don't think, or can't find, a way to set this, but I think what A?traveller said is correct. If you use your own preferred google, it should revert to that when you use the search function.

Just looking at this a little more, it looks like this is a feature of 2.0x which has reduced functionality. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to adjust the search engine except by reference to the page {hence my workaround}. This is in fact viewed as a feature since it allows dynamic interrogation of a site's search facilities {if they enable it}, and uses an AJAX function to call results as you type.

Downside is there doesn't appear to be an easy way to configure at a detailed level. Good old fashioned assumptions here, you are in locale x therefore you want search engine localisation.

Guess there is still a way within user.chrome but with no editor for that available any longer it's a pain to trawl through.

Regards

PS Be glad to be proved wrong on this :o

/edit add PS //

Edited by A_Traveller

Thanks.

1 - type www.google.com in your address bar.

2 - on the google homepage (which is in Thai) click on the "Go to Google.com" link at the bottom of the page.

From now on, your searches will go to Google.com

Thanks.

2 - on the google homepage (which is in Thai) click on the "Go to Google.com" link at the bottom of the page.

Not from the Google toolbar in FF. That still defualts to www.google.co.th

Thanks.

The search bar, which is intergrated with FF, will default if the home page is set to google.com/ncr, however, the tool-bar defaults to localisations. See my contribution above.

Regards

Thanks.

Strangely, my google toolbar searches always go to Google.com. I thought the above steps were how it got there but now it looks like not, resetting my homepage to the Thai homepage does not change my searches, those still go to google.com.

Some googling on google.com revealed that setting the language in the browser will do the trick:

In Firefox, go to Tools->Options...->Advanced Tab, then click on the Languages button, and set it to English.

Let me know if that works...

Edited by nikster

Withouit hacking the Firefox source application there is no way to accomplish this. Google always return the locale search page.

Might be possible to redirect it in the windows .hosts file though. Any ideas?

Thanks.

After doing what nikster suggested, It no longer goes to google Thailand using either the address bar or the Google toolbar in FF. But then I have been messing around with the about:config though that didn't seem to do anything.

just a quick reply. I just fixed this problem a couple of days ago. After trying all the tricks mentioned above. It happens because your copy of windows is a thai version, even if all your software is running in English. Off the top of my head it involved going to the languages control panel. You will see that the langiage is "Thai". You have to add English from the drop-down menu and move it up above Thai. voila, Google(in Firefox) in English.

Will check on this now and edit if required.

George, I'm not sure about Vista. A few weeks ago, I replaced my laptop's HDD. They installed XP Pro SP2. (Thai version naturally)

I first noticed that if I moused over my clock the date came up in Thai. So I changed that to English.

Then i noticed that all my Google searches from FF came up in Thai. Tried to reset from Google but always default to Thai. Because i had already changed the language for time and date did not think about changing Language. Then moment of inspiration. Went to the Regional language, saw that Thai was selected. Added English. Problem solved. Unfortunately cannot remember exact procedure but this is the direction to go.

Edited by bobbin

3rd time lucky.

It's all come back to me! :o

Correct procedure is:

Within FF select Tools-Internet Options-General.

select Language

You will see that Thai is selected. Add English(variety your choice) Then move English above Thai. Done

Oops.

I guess my brain is not quite up to operating rpm.

Just realized that I performed the above procedure in IE 7, not Firefox. It was all the tabs that fooled me. Still getting used to it. But IE 7 had the same problem with Thai Google from the integrated Google search and this fixed it.

Now I will check Firefox.

Hmm.

Firefox not quite the same.

select Tools-Options-Advanced-General-languages-Choose

Thai does NOT appear. Only the version of English. I see that I have English(en) and English (US). Still the option to add and move that IE7 has. Perhaps the English (US) was added when I made changes to IE 7. don't know if FF and IE7 share that kind of info.

When I do a search I still get some Thai text but Site name and descriptions are mostly English.