More riches from the sea? Southern Thai woman finds three "pearls" in a fish

webfact

9pmSUN.jpg

Forty nine year old Baifern in Klong Prasong sub-district of Krabi thought some kids were playing a trick on her when she cut open a snakehead fish from the sea she was preparing for dinner.

There were three round dull objects that looked a bit like cream colored marbles. 

They were about 1.5 to 2 cm in diameter. 

The find prompted her niece to go on Tik Tok where comment was rife. One man suggested that they were actually regular pearls from oysters.

When an oyster is on the point of dying they leave their pearls with other sea creatures and thus their pearlos come to be known as "muk faak" in Thai - pearls left with others. 

The poster reckoned they should look after them as they are valuable.

Sanook reported they could even be as valuable as a spate of "melo pearl" finds in Thailand in the last year.

The media asked for an expert to come forward to suggest their likely value. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-24

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

20 hours ago, ukrules said:

They're popping up everywhere these days aren't they.

A cynic would suggest that something untoward is going on here.

I'm just going to check my plant pots, I've got some pebbles that look just like that.

• Haha 2

This is somewhat hard to believe that a fish had 3 of them.

finding a pearl naturally is extremely rare. I was lucky to find a small irregular pearl earring oysters in France during the 90’s but it was just for sentimental value as the shape made it worthless.

There must be an oyster farm somewhere in the vicinity that has lost some strings of its attachment. Oysters are glued or tied to the strings and attached,  so they have not been able to escape, and hence, the finds due to predators eating these. 
A sure way to find out if they are cultured is to X-ray them to see if there is a small bead in the middle and was inserted. Otherwise if they are natural, it is a billion to 1 chance 3 turn up in the same fish.

Therefore, I am very scriptural of the whole story.

Edited by JupiterRising
Additional info.