Qatar refund and delaying booking with Covid issues!

Scouse123

A few months ago, against the advice here I booked with Qatar a business flight for September to Manchester thinking I was getting a great deal.

Well, as we all know with the turmoil of UK chopping and changing policies every week and Qatar in the RED zone and no signs of moving, I cancelled and got a refund.

I am now looking at middle October and I am in the One world alliance club, so was looking for an airline that can keep me out of the RED zone and I also want to avoid quarantine. I will be double dosed before I leave Thailand as my second one is due September 9th.

Finnair are offering cracking business deals at just short of 60,000 baht, so its about 1350 GBP, on the A350 aircraft in October and is also in the One world alliance,( so I will get points and retain my tier levels ) and Finland is not in any RED zone and nor is Thailand, but will that change?

I don't think I will get any cheaper or a better deal than that and the A350 is a good plane from my recollection, isn't it?

4 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Which vaccine?

AZ Vaccine

4 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Will you Still have to do the ten days  quarentine where your staying, or test to release after 5 days.

I think as it stands, there will will be no quarantine, only pre Covid test and another one on day 2, but it's an ever changing and developing situation. I would seek an MNRA booster shot whilst in the UK. Thailand is currently Orange list or Amber list for UK.

13 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Finnair are offering cracking business deals at just short of 60,000 baht, so its about 1350 GBP, on the A350 aircraft in October and is also in the One world alliance,( so I will get points and retain my tier levels ) and Finland is not in any RED zone and nor is Thailand, but will that change?

I don't think I will get any cheaper or a better deal than that and the A350 is a good plane from my recollection, isn't it?

I did this to the UK a couple of weeks ago.  These tickets don't include lounge access or any hold luggage, however if you're Oneworld Sapphire or above you'll get these through your status.

A350 is good but Finnair seats are not the best I've come across.  It's still Business Class though so can't really complain.  The flight to the UK looks to be on an Embraer 190 which is not real Business Class, but they (should) block the seat next to you.  Plenty food and drink offered on both flights.

They're not daily flights to MAN so check they don't try to take you via Heathrow or somewhere if you're looking at a day they don't operate or the timing is wrong.

Biggest danger IMO is Thailand going onto the red list.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, treetops said:

I did this to the UK a couple of weeks ago.  These tickets don't include lounge access or any hold luggage, however if you're Oneworld Sapphire or above you'll get these through your status.

A350 is good but Finnair seats are not the best I've come across.  It's still Business Class though so can't really complain.  The flight to the UK looks to be on an Embraer 190 which is not real Business Class, but they (should) block the seat next to you.  Plenty food and drink offered on both flights.

They're not daily flights to MAN so check they don't try to take you via Heathrow or somewhere if you're looking at a day they don't operate or the timing is wrong.

I have looked at these flights for this sector in the past and as you say from Helsinki to Manchester it’s a small aircraft.

Leaving that aside my concern was always the short  connection time in Helsinki with the potential to delay you for 24 hours or more.

I have never travelled Business class on any airline and had to pay extra for luggage.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Leaving that aside my concern was always the short  connection time in Helsinki with the potential to delay you for 24 hours or more.

Helsinki is a small airport and the connection time isn't an issue if you're on time.  The incoming aircraft from HEL-BKK sits on the ground for >24 hours which helps you get away on time.

11 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I have never travelled Business class on any airline and had to pay extra for luggage.

Neither had I until that flight.

image.png.b99536cc8b5c2423e116c87d99b54276.png

I checked my crystal ball but it only goes up to September. Besides the 350 is not a good plane, Thai Airways is trying to dump them because of high fuel consumption and it probably has the old style business seats so not full flat. For the distance it's OK, I flew it once with SAS, Kopenhagen - BKK. A better option is KLM Amsterdam - Manchester but not for your points/status and probably more expensive.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Besides the 350 is not a good plane, Thai Airways is trying to dump them because of high fuel consumption and it probably has the old style business seats so not full flat.

A350 is good for the passenger being quieter and with a higher cabin pressure than it's predecessors/competitors.

Seats on Finnair A350s are the Zodiac Cirrus III which are fully flat.  Drawbacks (for me) are the lack of air vents and I don't particularly like the reverse herringbone configuration, but for others that may not be an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2021 at 8:57 PM, treetops said:

Thank you regards waking me up to the ' no hold luggage ' at that price. No way would I accept that.

When I add back luggage it is more expensive than the middle east airlines!