13% of People in High-density Communities in Bangkok Are Infected with COVID-19

snoop1130

e480b640a2aaffbe56620cdc69f865b9_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Rural Doctors’ Society (RDS) reports that over 13% of people in 40 high-density communities in Bangkok were found to be infected during proactive COVID-19 screening.

According to the RDS, its medical teams and staff from hospitals from various provinces carried out two COVID-19 testing rounds in Bangkok, the first between July 14th and 16th and the latest between July 21st and 23rd, targeting crowded urban communities.

The RDS said the infection rate in Bangkok is very high. Of 51,389 people tested, 6,863 (13.35%) were infected. The society plans to conduct a third round of testing and will brainstorm ideas about how to slow virus transmission and pull the city out of this public health crisis.

Meanwhile, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has launched a COVID-19 testing campaign targeting homeless people, in which it has, so far, found 18 out of 193 tested infected with the virus. The BMA is also working with social workers and city police to collect information about this group, to provide them with proper assistance.

Full Story: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210726130340565

nnt.jpg

1 hour ago, kotsak said:

So essentially they are saying 13% of people in Bangkok are infected 

Might even be more, but I'd guess it's less.  I can't imagine anyone queuing up for a test unless they already suspected they need treatment.  At least not until they're guaranteed to be allowed to quarantine themselves at home and not be whisked off to 14 days in a bed in a stadium.  I understand it's headed that way, but it seems the risk of being involuntarily incarcerated isn't zero just yet.

And if the majority of those queueing for the tests already suspect they need treatment, that's quite a selection bias.  Certainly not a random sample of Bangkokians.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, kotsak said:

So essentially they are saying 13% of people in Bangkok are infected ????

No, they are saying "that over 13% of people in 40 high-density communities in Bangkok were found to be infected". Lower density areas may be 99% or they may be 1%, it wasn't mentioned. Omitting a few words from the original is not really very scientific.

• Like 2

Lucky that according to todays news a grand total 50% of Bangkok people are already vaccinated and the mixing of vaccines Thai research has shown that this is a fantastic way to increase immunity. So as per normal the Government is ahead of the curve and it is estimated that this mornings infection rate crisis will be under control by this Friday, just before lunch time.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Rural Doctors’ Society (RDS) reports that over 13% of people in 40 high-density communities in Bangkok were found to be infected during proactive COVID-19 screening

The sad news is they were all mingling on a daily basis... at work and at home.

• Like 1

A couple of Months ago the infection rate in Klong Toey was 9.8 % .

Its fair to assume the RDS tested in that District againas a high density Community, and they will be one of the 13.35 % 

This means the Infection rate in BKK has climbed almost 33 % in just a couple of Months.

Horrendous.

• Like 1

Testing, is not going to help anyone. Vaccinations are everyones only

help to maybe keep from dying. I do hope that the vaccines that

should be arriving will help the Thai people and all the expats, get their

2 shots so the chances are better for all. In North America, anyone who

wants the shots, including all teens, can get their shots, bit there are still

many anti vaxxers in both Canada and the USA. I am hoping that life

becomes so difficult for them, that they are treated like lepors and cannot

even leave the places where they live. That should be their new freedom.

Geezer

So, 13% infected and most would never have known about it without a test.

No, I'm not an anti, I've had my first dose and am waiting for my second.  I do think that it isn't the plague it's made out to be though.

Closing the world for this has been a mistake and, IMO, the only reason that continues is that the politicians have talked themselves into a corner they can't back out of.