Hawks, owls, eagles

Kanada

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

Rescued this owl from a net the neighbour erected to trap something or other. Ratchaburi area, so they are about.

20171008_082756.jpg

Cute little guy! So these birds are around…as mentioned I live in the mountains of Samoeng so maybe that’s why I don’t see them but I’ll keep watch just the same!

43 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

The fire on the mountain may well have destroyed enuf habitat that they have moved on to where prey is more plentiful.

Once it greens back up they will return.

It’s possible but it couldn’t get any more green and seems a lot of wildlife around right now…I guess can’t tell from a human point of view tho’.

**The mountain that burned off across from us shows no signs there was ever a fire….solid green as always! The soil  is so potent when you add the ash to it things seem to grow back over night!

Not Thailand. 

Some years ago I and some workmates were enjoying the "Sunday Champagne Brunch" at the Shangri-La in New Delhi, we were seated inside in the A/C looking out at those braving the outside heat.

Outside, a family were just about to start their (custom ordered) pizza when a large "eagle" swooped down and made off with said pizza much to the annoyance of the youngsters.

Sadly a long time before smart phones and the like became common.

Used to see a pair of medium sized eagles riding the air waves/thermals coming off the ridge we live on in northern Nan province. Saw them occasionally for about three years including the first two living in our new house. Haven't seen them this year though.

28 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Not Thailand. 

Some years ago I and some workmates were enjoying the "Sunday Champagne Brunch" at the Shangri-La in New Delhi, we were seated inside in the A/C looking out at those braving the outside heat.

Outside, a family were just about to start their (custom ordered) pizza when a large "eagle" swooped down and made off with said pizza much to the annoyance of the youngsters.

Eagle probably spent the rest of his life looking for another pizza

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MayBeNow said:

That must have been quite a sight Crossy. Must have been before the medicine Diclofenac, used to treat cows, killed of 99% of birds of prey in India since the nineties.

I don't remember exactly when it was, certainly the noughties.

It might explain why the (pretty abundant) raptors in Bangalore seemed to ignore the (even more abundant) pigeons and go for the "a-la-carte bin" option.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Not Thailand. 

At Sea World on the Gold Coast was about to enjoy a hot dog. A seagull came down and neatly plucked the sausage from the bun before I even had a bite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GreasyFingers said:

At Sea World on the Gold Coast was about to enjoy a hot dog. A seagull came down and neatly plucked the sausage from the bun before I even had a bite.

My kids used to like feeding the seagulls in Poole by throwing chips in the air, not a single chip ever landed!

152348208_2906620856220885_1963798305184230292_n.jpg.f169e7dda13df922a1f4f19be4e75fea.jpg

• Haha 2

Not sure about Thailand but in India vultures were being killed off by eating the carrion of dead cows that had been treated with diclofenac. I think this was a problem in Europe as well.

• Thanks 1

About 2-3 months ago when I was doing my first plough of the year there were many Brahminy Kites wheeling around overhead looking for mice disturbed by my activities. At one time I counted nine kites. They have a distinctive white head and breast with tan plumage on top. With a wingspan of 1-1¼ metres they seem quite big up close. The regular minas and wattled starlings keep well away when they are about. They can be seen all over Asia and, as has been mentioned, they are quite partial to fish.

Brahminy Kite - ClimateWatch Australia- Citizen Science App

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

About 2-3 months ago when I was doing my first plough of the year there were many Brahminy Kites wheeling around overhead looking for mice disturbed by my activities. At one time I counted nine kites. They have a distinctive white head and breast with tan plumage on top. With a wingspan of 1-1¼ metres they seem quite big up close. The regular minas and wattled starlings keep well away when they are about. They can be seen all over Asia and, as has been mentioned, they are quite partial to fish.

Brahminy Kite - ClimateWatch Australia- Citizen Science App

That’s a big bird???? A beauty…

Being from “the Great White North” 

we have a great many birds of prey that I’ve always just taken for granted…always just there!

A dozen or so different owls (including the Snow Owl…big and white and the screech owl..small and loud)

Eagles (Golden and Bald and more)

Hawks and falcons Red Tailed and Sparrow hawks and Peregrine falcons (altho I don’t think the Peregrine is native…just showing up last 10 years)

Couldn’t tell you how many millions of nervous gophers we have so it works out well????

49 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Another bird of prey which is a regular visitor at ploughing time is the Indian Roller. It is a shy bird and with it's distinctive electric blue plumage it flashes down from it's perch in a nearby tree to take small rodents. It doesn't look too much like a raptor in that it's beak and general size is rather more like that of a crow.

Indian Roller - eBird

Are these photos in or around Chiang Mai or where?  Thanks very much.

I never seem to have a camera with my when I see these birds so I didn't take any of them myself. They are from the internet and included as examples of what the birds look like. My mini jungle and farm full of birds is in Buriram but the birds can be seen pretty well anywhere especially around land that is being cultivated. The picture of the Kite was taken somewhere in Australia but I have no information about the location of that particular Indian Roller picture.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, cucme said:

Lots of eagles here on Koh Chang, of course, they eat fish ????

eagles.jpg.7c1c4781e7240ec3103904e73cfc5b8b.jpg

They eat a lot more than fish, mice, rats, etc, I have even seen one fly off carrying a full sized chicken ! So many beautiful birds on Koh Chang of the feathered kind, I am now getting a blue bird in the garden, similar to this but more blue, medium sized bird known as the Fairy Blue bird.1184801758_AsianFairyBluebird.png.8be0725db0335dd5912b51585004cf6d.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, islandguy said:

I see various hawks but no eagles or owls yet in Chiang Dao.

You’re lucky at that…none of any of those 3 here!

maybe that’s normal for the mountains ?!

Just rode CNX Pai. Saw a few raptors, but was not able to look all the time for obvious reasons.

Traffic very light. Nicest trip on this road ever - I remember the days of dodging minivans during high season. Stopped riding because of it.

I was on Koh Mak Nov/Dec 2020.

Last week of Nov and first week of Dec I guess app. 1000 eagles/raptors passing per day. On route to Cambodia (East).

Maybe even a lot more, I could easily count 100+ within an hour on the busiest times.

Some of them was White belly sea eagles, I estimate 2+m wing span. (easy to know as they are very big and adults has like a white T from Below)

We were shocked a couple of times when the big ones came diving towards the beach only 15-20m above us. Their shadows are quite big and made me jump a couple of times on the first days.

Fascinating to see how they all use the updrift of wind hitting the island. Rotate up and then dive down against the wind to rotate up once again over the beach.

Almost like a regatta where all boats know how to zig-zag to get to the finish line only by the means of wind.

A special event I will always remember and am planning to go same time and place this year and bring a camera with a proper lens.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 7:42 AM, Muhendis said:

Another bird of prey which is a regular visitor at ploughing time is the Indian Roller. It is a shy bird and with it's distinctive electric blue plumage it flashes down from it's perch in a nearby tree to take small rodents. It doesn't look too much like a raptor in that it's beak and general size is rather more like that of a crow.

Indian Roller - eBird

Thanks for that. I have seen several out the back but had no idea what they were.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 9:55 PM, islandguy said:

I see various hawks but no eagles or owls yet in Chiang Dao.

You'll likely never see the Asian Owlets that are all over Chiang Mai as they difficult to see in the trees.
BUT, you will hear them all the time, distinct sound.   

Owl 1.m4a