Do foreigners living in Thailand tend to respect Thailand?

dan42

45 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't think having issues means you hate it somewhere. I mean if you call out the government on their covid vaccination. Do you not respect Thailand then or do you address a valid issue.

Its different if you call all Thai females hookers that would be disrespectful. I see some guys do that at times. 

So i think it depends on the comments.

We don't agree often on things ???? but concur with your post. 

Sorry to hear of the loses in Belgium I hope you were not affect by such a terrible tragedy. 

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

We don't agree often on things ???? but concur with your post. 

Sorry to hear of the loses in Belgium I hope you were not affect by such a terrible tragedy. 

Not as much as I am from the Netherlands ????

But it was bad in Belgium pure disaster luckily in the Netherlands we had already in the past made more room for water (removing houses not letting houses be build in flood plains). Stuff like that so the Netherlands came out relatively ok.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dan42 said:

In the time I have been using this forum I have seen many users laughing at Thailand, their processes, government, some behaviours, credibility... It's been kind of shocking because I assume many of those live there so I wonder why the hell would they live in a place they have such little respect for...

Joke aside, can I just say that if we didn't have this forum to vent and, interact with differences of opinions, I think Thailand would be very boring.

It's a perfect place to let it out, laughing or mocking the government is part and parcel of being able to live in a democratic society, albeit it Thailand has it's boundaries so you have to be careful.

It has nothing to do with respect, generally speaking you show respect to Thai's as you would any other person in any country, however, respect comes from teachings and education, I will leave that there.

I came here in 2015 and personally I have seen a big shift since the days of 2006 when I used to frequent Thailand twice a year for 2-3 months at a time and it didn't take much to understand that since this the military coup and subsequent swearing in of the "democratically elected government", general coming in as PM, the Land of Smiles has certainly not shown it's pearly whites since, and this was pre-Covid so we can't blame that on Covid, although in my opinion this government has once again shown it's complete failure in looking after it's citizens, we won't go into the corruption side of things because we always knew how things worked here.

Still a great place to live, even better when they will be gone, so we wait in patience for the change to see those pearly whites come back, and Covid at a reasonably controllable level, because that won't be going anytime soon unfortunately, it will added as another annual virus requiring a jab.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

For many the situation seems to have brought out the worst of the government causing much frustration thus this is probably is not the best time for positive comments/attitudes on this forum.  But, I will respect/follow the rules and restrictions they are asking us to comply too.

Otherwise, I don't think about it just try to treat people as I would want to be treated seems to work OK most places in the world.

Edited by bkk6060

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

It's a bit general but I think you are correct in  your analysis.I would add one other point that often baffles foreigners.Why are some foreigners liked and respected but others not so much?

Forty years ago almost all farang carried cachet.Now Thais  are more discriminating. Thais (other than those associated with the entertainment industry who play by different rules) place a lot of importance when judging foreigners by placing or attempting to place them in context.Thus an Ambassador will always have high prestige.But so will a young academic working with a well known university.So will a family man with wife and (preferably) blonde and blue-eyed kids.I'm talking about the educated middle class.Humbler Thais are more openhearted.

Charm and good manners and a certain easy style (think Hugh Grant or Tom Hiddleston) will take you a long way.Thais pay attention to external appearances.Though many believe the opposite if you are a charmless loser in your own country, Thais will pick up on your weaknesses.The only difference is that they are adept in disguising their contempt.

Alot of truth in what you are saying. Also, Thais tend to be quite intuitive. They pick up on things. I find a warm open smile, a wave, and even eye contact with a nod makes a huge difference. Of course kindness, respect and charm do to, even if you do not speak much Thai.  

• Like 1

I think most people respect the people and the culture.

But of course folks can whine and moan about some of the absurdities of the place, that's not being disrespectful, that's just being honest.

On this forum read some of the bile directed at the United States, plenty by folks who have never even set foot on US soil!

So don't overthink this, a lot of the negative things you read are just the normal gripes about giving in a country which can be beautiful, charming, frustrating and downright annoying all at the same time.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Billions wasted on rubbish

Yet many homeless

Govts in general are terrible!

California seems to have concerned itself with genders, pronouns, and bathrooms, while the streets fill with homeless encampments, as few can afford $2000+ USD rent. They then become drug addicts and thieves, ransacking stores and increasing muggings, as the police have been deprioritized.

I lean to the left, and believe people should be respected no matter their identity. But there are obvious priorities which they've now apparently become blind to. A place to live, and a decent wage.

While it certainly feels good for some to do, and scores them brownie points, I've never seen political correctness/SJW/"woke" do a thing about the real issues, since its inception in the early 90's.

• Like 1

Clearly most expats do not have much subject “respect”.

But the Good far outweighs the Bad. That is why we stay.

Separate the Good & Bad. They cannot be “ reconciled”. Don’t Ever Try.....

Respect, for me, is my inward private thoughts on something or someone.

Courtesy is being outwardly polite, also considered “respectful”, when dealing daily with an unrespected but highly enjoyable setting.

Difficult & Unnecessary for rational, enlightened, fair, educated, democratic westerners to inwardly respect any polar opposite non-western society......

Easy or Easier to always extend daily Courtesy, when living in such place,with many benefits not found at home, providing such expat lifestyle is maximally separated from prevailing society, governance & life.

Examples:

Never Discuss Country Politics in Public or with Strangers / Natives.

Good Fair Native Builder here ( Rare) should be Respected.

In short, Respect: Rarely; Courtesy : Always.

Thanks all for answering. I totally understand your points around venting, using the forum to complain about the daily frustrations and the culture gap, even more under the current situation... But with Thailand I always feel that the criticism goes beyond that point. In multiple ocassions it enters in a different territory. It's not complaning or criticizing, it's mocking, laughing, making fun of, not taking seriously, looking over the soulder even... I felt this in the past reading some famous spaniards living in Thailand, I feel it here and I've felt it while visiting Thailand. It's perhaps related to the fact that many "experts" on the country have had a large exposure to nightlife, gogobars and that stuff. I don't know, but there's something different about Thailand in this regard. You don't see this mindset on inmigrants in Angola, Colombia, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia, Mexico or Vietnam. Obviously, I am not saying that every inmigrant here has this mindset but it looks pretty common.

Edited by dan42