Do foreigners living in Thailand tend to respect Thailand?

dan42

On 7/28/2021 at 3:41 PM, spidermike007 said:

Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall within Thailand, some lame guy, who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any focus or effort to a reasonable reply, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or maybe you should leave, or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Hard to even respond to such inane statements. Why? Because I have some issues with the place? Sorry to inform you, but the nature of a discerning mind, is to have issues.

Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful state of mind, it is not something most of us are blessed with, in case you have not noticed. The fact that I complain, does not mean I do not love Thailand, nor most of it's people. I do. I love my life here. I have a very good life here. But, I do have some complaints, and there are some things I would love to see improved. I should leave because of that? Many of us need someplace to vent. So, a forum like this is the perfect spot. Some of us try to do it in a civil manner (in regard to my fellow ex-pats, certainly not the government, which deserves no respect), and try to keep the emotion out of it. Some simply reveal their juvenile nature with comments that are not well thought out!

Life isnt all beer and p.....

• Haha 1

'Respect' is the wrong word. there is little to respect here.  I don't 'respect' much here, or anywhere else for that matter.  What is there to respect, its religion, definitely not; its history, no; it's culture, maybe some; it's people, not respect, like maybe; its system of government, no; its armed forces, definitely not, its education, no.  

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:44 AM, spidermike007 said:

I think when many of us are being critical, it is in regard to the toxic, heinous, and failed leadership here. Their incredible disregard for public and traffic safety, and their total refusal to fight corruption, work on improving life for the common man, stopping the pathological desire to steal, and feather their own nests. And now with Covid, what can one say? They are the real problem. Not the people. The so called leaders. 

Very well put.  I agree that paragraph wholeheartedly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:13 AM, dan42 said:

I assume many of those live there so I wonder why the hell would they live in a place they have such little respect for...

I didn't respect the UK much either.

Is respect a requirement to live somewhere?

If so imagine the angst the poor, with no choice on where they live, must feel.

• Thanks 1

In the time I have been using this forum I have seen many users laughing at Thailand, their processes, government, some behaviours, credibility... It's been kind of shocking because I assume many of those live there so I wonder why the hell would they live in a place they have such little respect for...

So, is this a real pattern? Do you think this is common? Maybe more among some specific groups of foreigners living in Thailand? 

I think you can replace "Thailand" with the name of almost any country in this world. Lots of people everywhere are complaining about the place where they live. And many of them then live in the same place forever. 

I guess almost all people in this forum decided at some stage to live in Thailand. For me one reason was because I liked Thailand (after two short holidays) and I didn't much like my cold home country. So I moved. And I liked it in Thailand. I got what I expected and it was clear from the beginning that lots of things will be imperfect in Thailand. I accepted that and I am not complaining about it because that was part of the "deal".

And then there are other people who don't like place A and they moved to place B. And then they find out that they are still frustrated and grumpy and whatever. Basically they can be anywhere and they will complain, it's part of their nature. I think on this forum we have enough of those. Personally I accept when people say what they don't like. And then there are three options: Change it, accept that you can't change it, or move somewhere else. If the same people complain about the same things again and again then the problem are those people - IMHO.

• Like 2

Respect, Reschmect.

Almost all countries are wonderful AND horrible in their own special ways.

I said almost because I can't imagine ways in which North Korea is wonderful, but maybe it is (light traffic?). 

Anyway, this is an EXPAT forum. Very few of us are actually immigrants. I think that makes a big difference.

When I lived in the U.S. I found the immigrants to be more uncritically patriotic than the natives. I often felt like smacking them for being so daft.

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think you can replace "Thailand" with the name of almost any country in this world. Lots of people everywhere are complaining about the place where they live. And many of them then live in the same place forever. 

I guess almost all people in this forum decided at some stage to live in Thailand. For me one reason was because I liked Thailand (after two short holidays) and I didn't much like my cold home country. So I moved. And I liked it in Thailand. I got what I expected and it was clear from the beginning that lots of things will be imperfect in Thailand. I accepted that and I am not complaining about it because that was part of the "deal".

And then there are other people who don't like place A and they moved to place B. And then they find out that they are still frustrated and grumpy and whatever. Basically they can be anywhere and they will complain, it's part of their nature. I think on this forum we have enough of those. Personally I accept when people say what they don't like. And then there are three options: Change it, accept that you can't change it, or move somewhere else. If the same people complain about the same things again and again then the problem are those people - IMHO.

Wherever u go there u are

Id rather get a new body

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

For me, the reason was I liked young slim women in my bed at night.

Metallica ......... "Nothing else Matters"

Sadly, I no longer have much use for the young slim women.

But I enjoy the company of my 10 yo son, one of them produced.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Maybe more among some specific groups of foreigners living in Thailand? 

You Think so dan42......????....and where would that be from , not some little rainy Isl somewhere......

When I lived in Oz.....they had a saying-- "You always know when the plane full of POM's, they switch the engines off, but you can still hear the whining.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/28/2021 at 1:40 PM, Dmaxdan said:

Respect has to be earned.

I have a huge amount of respect for the Thai people I mix with regularly simply because they have always been hugely respectful towards me.

I also have the utmost respect for Thai culture, although I don't necessarily agree with all their beliefs.

However, because of the way that non Thai nationals have been treated with regards to the vaccine rollout it is difficult to respect the powers that be here.

They have made it very clear that they don't respect us as people and in their eyes, our lives are worthless. 

And that hurts...

What are you whining about? 

Shouldn't 50% of Thais (at least) be vaccinated before foreigners?

By the way, I got vaccinated for free in the first 10% of people here as did many foreign teachers, but I couldn't complain if I hadn't.

Some spoiled westerners don't understand "vaccine shortage"

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

For me, the reason was I liked young slim women in my bed at night.

Metallica ......... "Nothing else Matters"

Sadly, I no longer have much use for the young slim women.

But I enjoy the company of my 10 yo son, one of them produced.

That's sad. I always loved waking up next to a young ( over 20 ) slim woman.

My biggest regret now is that I don't even have a hope of doing so.

In LOS that was always a given if I wanted to have one in my bed.

17 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

You Think so dan42......????....and where would that be from , not some little rainy Isl somewhere......

When I lived in Oz.....they had a saying-- "You always know when the plane full of POM's, they switch the engines off, but you can still hear the whining.

Same saying in NZ.

I'm happy to say that I'm only British through Scottish ancestors. Not a drop of English blood in me far as I know.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:44 AM, spidermike007 said:

I think when many of us are being critical, it is in regard to the toxic, heinous, and failed leadership here. Their incredible disregard for public and traffic safety, and their total refusal to fight corruption, work on improving life for the common man, stopping the pathological desire to steal, and feather their own nests. And now with Covid, what can one say? They are the real problem. Not the people. The so called leaders. 

I'll go along with what you said above, however for me it goes a little deeper, because a lot of what I see is pure stupidity, as in the driving here and nobody taking responsibility for the fact that they should have a driving licence and/or training.

The electricity supply and the cabling which supplies it is horrendous, as are many of the houses which have been wired incorrectly, again down to pure stupidity and lack of training.

The stupidity, just like corruption here, seems to be endemic, however I manage to live here because I'm able to separate what makes me happy from all of the cr@p which goes on around me, so in fact I'm living in two different spheres, one where I make sure that I am happy in what I'm doing, and in living a stress-free life, along with my lovely Thai daughter, and the other sphere contains all of the stuff I've previously mentioned.

So as I said, I separate those two aspects of Thailand and I'm able to live here, even though there are times when I think I would be better off elsewhere.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

So as I said, I separate those two aspects of Thailand and I'm able to live here, even though there are times when I think I would be better off elsewhere.

I've never thought I'd be better off elsewhere.

Although I have thought I might be forced to live elsewhere.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I'll go along with what you said above, however for me it goes a little deeper, because a lot of what I see is pure stupidity, as in the driving here and nobody taking responsibility for the fact that they should have a driving licence and/or training.

The electricity supply and the cabling which supplies it is horrendous, as are many of the houses which have been wired incorrectly, again down to pure stupidity and lack of training.

The stupidity, just like corruption here, seems to be endemic, however I manage to live here because I'm able to separate what makes me happy from all of the cr@p which goes on around me, so in fact I'm living in two different spheres, one where I make sure that I am happy in what I'm doing, and in living a stress-free life, along with my lovely Thai daughter, and the other sphere contains all of the stuff I've previously mentioned.

Great points, and good post, as usual from you. I tend to agree. However, lately I have been having a harder time separating the two. I think a large part of it is cabin fever related. I am used to traveling back to the US at least twice a year, and doing some great trips there. Seeing family and friends, and having a great time. And traveling regionally and domestically alot around here. Such a nice change of pace. Cannot wait until that lifestyle returns.

Until then, have to make more effort at keeping a good attitude, and not letting the toxicity of the leaders get into my head. 

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 5:44 AM, spidermike007 said:

Like do not expect to be visiting a foreign country. Thailand is NOT a foreign country. It is a distant planet!

Pretty much the way I see it. I've lived and worked in a number of places around the world : Thailand is the weirdest of what I've seen. The term "alien" comes to mind (it's reciprocal of course).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gejohesch said:

Pretty much the way I see it. I've lived and worked in a number of places around the world : Thailand is the weirdest of what I've seen. The term "alien" comes to mind (it's reciprocal of course).

For the most part, I like the alien aspect of life here. I did find the life in the US to be stifling, predictable, boring, and lacking the joy I normally feel here. There is no doubt, as many of the posters on this thread have wisely pointed out, I am experiencing a very heavy case of cabin fever. No doubt. Usually I get out of the country every few months, and that is always a treat. Then, I always enjoy coming back. Especially when returning from a month or so in the US. 

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

For the most part, I like the alien aspect of life here. I did find the life in the US to be stifling, predictable, boring, and lacking the joy I normally feel here. There is no doubt, as many of the posters on this thread have wisely pointed out, I am experiencing a very heavy case of cabin fever. No doubt. Usually I get out of the country every few months, and that is always a treat. Then, I always enjoy coming back. Especially when returning from a month or so in the US. 

About same for me except that I'm a EU citizen and I like spending a few months a year in Europe. I guess it's not as stifling as the US (?). My living model is a few months in Europe, a few months in Thailand, a bit of traveling in between. I could not stand spending the entire year in Thailand, too many things I find annoying in the long run. This model has worked very well for me and my (very lovely) Thai wife. So far at least, COVID has thrown a big spanner in the works.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Great points, and good post, as usual from you. I tend to agree. However, lately I have been having a harder time separating the two. I think a large part of it is cabin fever related. I am used to traveling back to the US at least twice a year, and doing some great trips there. Seeing family and friends, and having a great time. And traveling regionally and domestically alot around here. Such a nice change of pace. Cannot wait until that lifestyle returns.

Until then, have to make more effort at keeping a good attitude, and not letting the toxicity of the leaders get into my head. 

Forgot to thank you for your kind words, and although I don't want this to develop into a "mutual admiration society", may I say that I appreciate your many good posts!

• Thanks 1