Bangkok Pattaya hospital vaccine roll out?

Wardp

On 7/30/2021 at 10:01 AM, Jingthing said:

The idea of getting a third shot booster is controversial and has not been heavily researched. I feel this trend for people to self diagnose a need for a third shot booster may carry considerable unknown risks. Hopefully we'll know more later about the specifics. Currently I would say two shots of AstraZeneca is excellent protection against hospitalization and death in case of breakthrough infections.

I'm not so sure about that. There have been multiple studies of third booster doses with promising data that they are safe and effective.

Here are examples of just two of them:

Delayed second dose and third doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine lead to heightened immune response to SARS-CoV-2

Pfizer and BioNTech have seen encouraging data in the ongoing booster trial of a third dose of the current. BNT162b2 vaccine

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm not so sure about that. There have been multiple studies of third booster doses with promising data that they are safe and effective.

Here are examples of just two of them:

Delayed second dose and third doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine lead to heightened immune response to SARS-CoV-2

Pfizer and BioNTech have seen encouraging data in the ongoing booster trial of a third dose of the current. BNT162b2 vaccine

You're conflating issues.

Waiting a long time between first and second dose for AstraZenica (as Thailand is doing by policy) is well established now as increasing eventual immunity.

I was talking about people SELF DIAGNOSING mixing and matching third doses. The specific brands in the picture and the specific timing would likely be different, and all of the scenarios need to be well studied before concluding that the specific self diagnosed program is actually well advised. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

You're conflating issues.

Waiting a long time between first and second dose for AstraZenica (as Thailand is doing by policy) is well established now as increasing eventual immunity.

Not so - the Pfizer-BioNTech study is only about third doses and the AZ study looked at both delayed second doses and giving third doses.

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not so - the Pfizer-BioNTech study is only about third doses and the AZ study looked at both delayed second doses and giving third doses.

People aren't seeking third doses of AZ here. They're seeking a mRNA brand after two of AZ.  Again people are self diagnosing their own program.

Just had a (Thai) friend send out a message that the Bang Lamung (gov't) hospital is doing "walk in" vaccinations. He's heading there now and will let us know how it goes.
No idea about nationalities/age/conditions/quantities or which vaccine it is.

Oh wait, he's saying it's the AZ and for "18 years" and older.

2 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Just had a (Thai) friend send out a message that the Bang Lamung (gov't) hospital is doing "walk in" vaccinations. He's heading there now and will let us know how it goes.

If I was a betting man I would bet that this is not meant for expats. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

If I was a betting man I would bet that this is not meant for expats. 

Neither are the meal/food handouts but I see them give to foreigners as well. (Maybe not wanting to lose face or cause a scene.)

If someone was in the area and wanted to give it a try, the worse that couple happen is they say no (and you catch the virus while standing in line anyways) !

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

People aren't seeking third doses of AZ here. They're seeking a mRNA brand after two of AZ.  Again people are self diagnosing their own program.

That's not the issue you raised. You said, "The idea of getting a third shot booster is controversial and has not been heavily researched." A general point.

That's what I was responding to - not the specifics of what people here are seeking (since you didn't even mention it).

Moderna and J&J also have studies into booster doses, so again I'm not sure that your point that it has not been heavily researched, is correct - all the major, current Covid vaccine suppliers either have researched it or are researching it.

What You Need to Know About COVID-19 Booster Shots 

You're right about it being controversial, of course. The question is whether it's morally acceptable to give third doses to people in wealthy Western nations when many in poor countries have not even had their first dose yet.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Confused 1

I'm a pessimist so I think it's likely that a new variant will come along in 2022. It will be as contagious as delta and much more damaging. Let's hope that's not the case.

So let's say that despite all the anti-vaxxers who create opportunities for mutation, delta is as bad as it gets. Based on what we know so far, a modified booster shot, or simply a third shot, may be needed to become fully vaccinated. That is to say, unable to be harmed in any way by the virus nor able to spread it.

And it seems today, for the moment, that one jab of the existing Moderna after two jabs of the existing A-Z might give that result.

In the next month or two we may learn that this is true or not true, so I will remain flexible, but until then that will be my tentative plan.

38 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Just had a (Thai) friend send out a message that the Bang Lamung (gov't) hospital is doing "walk in" vaccinations.

I hope that it's true but the hospital just said on the phone that it's not happening.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Its all on the Banglamung hospital Facebook page. Looks like its a first dose of Sinovac and the follow up will be AZ. Seems you have to register using the google forms link on that page. I and the family have registered and i know of one other westerner who has done so, so we will see what happens.

30 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

I hope that it's true but the hospital just said on the phone that it's not happening.

Lol. Maybe.

But keep in mind that there was a story on Thursday that said BHP was giving out vaccinations, but only if a doctor approved it first. Some people here noted they'd gone in for an appointment and were told about it by their doctor.
Some people said they'd been called by the hospital about it. I've been registered with BHP since 2006 I think and they called me on Thursday to confirm my Friday appointment but no one said anything about vaccinations.

I went for an appointment at the Cardiology dept on Friday and my doctor knew nothing about it, but her nurse immediately filled her in on it (then took my passport and went off to register me). A couple minutes later she came back and told me when/where to show up (next week) to get jabbed.
It seems not everyone was in on the "secret".

One guy I saw there was trying to see a doctor because his buddy (standing beside him) had been in the day before for an appointment and got his jab the same day.
(I tuned him out when he started trying to convince the nurse that if he didn't get the jab he could die and that it was a matter of life and death, etc, etc.)

3 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Lol. Maybe.

But keep in mind that there was a story on Thursday that said BHP was giving out vaccinations, but only if a doctor approved it first. Some people here noted they'd gone in for an appointment and were told about it by their doctor.
Some people said they'd been called by the hospital about it. I've been registered with BHP since 2006 I think and they called me on Thursday to confirm my Friday appointment but no one said anything about vaccinations.

I went for an appointment at the Cardiology dept on Friday and my doctor knew nothing about it, but her nurse immediately filled her in on it (then took my passport and went off to register me). A couple minutes later she came back and told me when/where to show up (next week) to get jabbed.
It seems not everyone was in on the "secret".

One guy I saw there was trying to see a doctor because his buddy (standing beside him) had been in the day before for an appointment and got his jab the same day.
(I tuned him out when he started trying to convince the nurse that if he didn't get the jab he could die and that it was a matter of life and death, etc, etc.)

Its def  happening long que think.Ill  Skip it. Cant.see  another ferang anywhere! 

8 minutes ago, blackaygo said:

Its all on the Banglamung hospital Facebook page. Looks like its a first dose of Sinovac and the follow up will be AZ. Seems you have to register using the google forms link on that page. I and the family have registered and i know of one other westerner who has done so, so we will see what happens.

I'm looking at their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Banglamung Hospital/177659735591998/) and don't see anything about it.

There's literally 4 posts on their page between 13 April and yesterday (all in July) and that's it.

Unless you are looking at a different Facebook page ?

A friend is there (Bang Lamung Hospital) and sent a video showing the long line of people waiting to get jabbed. (I'm guessing most won't have done any paperwork ahead of time either.)

Unfortunately my friend isn't in the line (they filmed it from the Emergence entrance so I thought they were at the head of the line).

40 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

A friend is there (Bang Lamung Hospital) and sent a video showing the long line of people waiting to get jabbed. (I'm guessing most won't have done any paperwork ahead of time either.)

Unfortunately my friend isn't in the line (they filmed it from the Emergence entrance so I thought they were at the head of the line).

Been and left.huge line.in blazing heat no helpers no idea which vax! Worth the trouble just to see tho.

On 7/29/2021 at 4:03 PM, Jingthing said:

If you're high risk (over 60, etc.) and have a doctor that knows you at BPH contact her ASAP and ask to be sponsored for AZ jabs. They don't seem to have a stock in right now, but they apparently have an expected (limited) allotment that they expect before very long. So now they are directly contacting some known high risk patients and registering them. This is not the same thing at all as their Moderna program.

As far as when more widespread availability will happen here. I have no idea! 

I got Astra Zeneca at BPH three days ago after responding to their recent survey.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 6:34 AM, banglay said:

If anyone pushes for a third  booster shot I can image it will be championed by the multi national drug companies and the research into a 3rd booster will also be funded by them too  .. Profits are  "KING"   and <deleted> the people .    

4th to come not long after...

Very funny people !

• Haha 1

Just got my 1st jab of AZ at BHP.

Free.

Showed up before 1pm. Maybe 50 people already there.

Had a form to fill out.

They handed out numbers for the people there for the 13:00 "jab".

Sent us upstairs in bayches of 5. Paperwork checked, passport photocopied, blood pressure check then in to get jabbed.

Followed by a 30 minute obsevation period.

Then on my way home with a slip to get my next jab - in late October.

Edited by Kerryd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im  a long term patient at Bangkok Pattaya Hopspital with health problems & over 70 years of age, i was told when i registered  for the vaccine 3 months ago i am also a VIP  patient,   & i would be contacted  as soon as  .....better i go there again, seems like im never going to be contacted

I think that was a different "registration" as the only other one BHP did was a (poorly announced) one at the end of July (the one where they opened it for registration and literally closed it again about 12 hours later.

But there was that <deleted> "government" registration BS a few months ago where people registered and nothing ever happened.

If you are a regular at BHP, go see your doctor. Don't wait for them to call you. For that matter, maybe they did try to call and you missed it or the line was busy.

Personally, I made the effort to go myself after I heard about it. I've checked my phone and there's no sign that they called me, and they know my name/number because they call me the day before each appointment.

For this registration, my name was put (or checked) in the system on Friday and I got my jab on Tuesday afternoon.
I overheard one guy (on Friday) who said he'd been to see his doctor on Thursday and got his jab Thursday afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2021 at 4:03 PM, Jingthing said:

If you're high risk (over 60, etc.) and have a doctor that knows you at BPH contact her ASAP and ask to be sponsored for AZ jabs. They don't seem to have a stock in right now, but they apparently have an expected (limited) allotment that they expect before very long. So now they are directly contacting some known high risk patients and registering them. This is not the same thing at all as their Moderna program.

As far as when more widespread availability will happen here. I have no idea! 

I asked 2 months ago,        i'm  still waiting 

57 minutes ago, actonion said:

I asked 2 months ago,        i'm  still waiting 

2 months ago they weren't doing AZ vaccinations.

They did a short registration a month ago (8-22 July) for a different vaccine (Moderna) but I think they stopped taking registrations about 12 hours after they started. 

2 months (or so) ago was a botched government registration program that never went anywhere. (That was the dumb one where you could look at the URL and change the "number" in it and see another person's registration information.)

If you are a registered patient at BHP and over 60 (with/without underlying medical conditions) then contact them.

Or just do nothing.