Cremation for my grandmother

TKI

Dear Forum Members,

my grandmother (88) passed away last Sunday. She lived together with me in Jomtien for the last 4 years. Currently she is at the hospital to be checked for the cause of death. After that, I would like to cremate her and take her ashes back to our family in Germany.

How can i approach the cremation? I mean are there private cremation institutes? Preferably here in Pattaya or near. Or does it need to be done in the Tempel?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers.

Kind regards,

Tobias

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 8:26 PM, Sheryl said:

Dear Tobias

Cremation facilities in Thailand are located in temples (and not all temples, just some). But there is no obligation to have any ceremony done.

I highly recommend you contact this company in Bangkok which specializes in expat death arrangements. They are excellent and will not try to upsell you anything you don't want.

https://www.amarinternational.com/contact.html

They can arrange a simple cremation and provide the ashes in a container suitable for taking on a plane (or, if you need them to, arrange the shipment themselves). They can also handle all the paperwork with your Embassy which may be necessary if she had any assets etc back in Getmany (basically a document from Embassy that will serve in lieu of German death certificate -- Thai death certificates are in Thai language).

The head woman there is named Dao Metcalf or something like that and she is excellent.

What a precise and excellent answer.

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 2:26 PM, Sheryl said:

Cremation facilities in Thailand are located in temples (and not all temples, just some). But there is no obligation to have any ceremony done.

Is there any legal obligation to have anything done? If the deceased has made a preference clear - what is the legal minimum that must be done with the earthly remains?

4 hours ago, bangon04 said:

Is there any legal obligation to have anything done? If the deceased has made a preference clear - what is the legal minimum that must be done with the earthly remains?

AFAIK a body must either be buried, cremated or donated for medical purposes (in which case it will be cremated when they are through using it).

What alternative were you considering?

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

AFAIK a body must either be buried, cremated or donated for medical purposes (in which case it will be cremated when they are through using it).

What alternative were you considering?

Medical purposes sounds the obvious