Thailand says to order additional 10 million doses of Pfizer vaccine

snoop1130

On 7/30/2021 at 9:22 PM, law ling said:

Hmm ... "plans" for 10 million ... why not plan enough to vax everyone (120 million doses)?

I suspect the government hasn't yet actually ordered enough vaxes for everyone ... I don't see what their game-plan is.

I expect there is some thought about getting enough doses to achieve "herd immunity", which has been suggested to be 70%.

The remaining 30%?

Ah, mai bpen rai.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:07 AM, kwonitoy said:

I know its coincidence but when vaccines are donated they arrive to great fanfare the next day on a jet, from America for instance. 

When they are paying there own money the vaccines are "on order" and will arrive "later" or next year   ???? 

You missed "plan to"!

Thailand has sent many berry pickers to Sweden with Covid. Now we have to take care of them.
My wife's relatives in Thailand have paid 7,000 baht to get the vaccine. Now they are told that their vaccine has been used to vaccinate government employees.

TIT.

• Sad 1

On 7/31/2021 at 12:06 PM, DBath said:

Would you mind sharing the link? I just moved to Spain and am not yet at the point of making a final decision on any vax, but this info may force my hand.

Sorry for my late reply. I don't log in here often. But I think the CDC news is on most mainstream media. 

• Like 1

More empty promises.  Chairman of Thonburi Healthcare Group, Boon Vanasin, speaks during an interview with Reuters at his office in Bangkok, Thailand, July 6, 2021. REUTERS/Artorn Pookasook/File Photo BANGKOK (Reuters) - The chair of Thailand's Thonburi Healthcare Group (THG) said on Wednesday that a deal to import 20 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine was unlikely to happen, despite his earlier claims that a deal was close. Thailand is battling its biggest COVID-19 outbreak yet, and has been racing to secure vaccines. Last month, THG Chairman Boon Vanasin said talks to clinch a deal with BioNTech was nearing conclusion, but both Pfizer and BioNTench said they were not in talks with THG. "Our problem is that we are unable to import it because it has to come through a government agency," Boon said during a televised interview with the MCOT television station on Wednesday. "I think we won't be able to do it," he added. Boon did not say with which importer his group had been working. THG shares fell 8.13% on Wednesday along a benchmark decline of 0.35%. Last month, BioNTech denied it was in talks with THG while a Pfizer spokesman said the company was only in discussions with Thailand's health ministry and disease control department. Boon had previously said he was working to secure the vaccines indirectly, via an unnamed government agency. Confused here, Pfizer spokesman said the company was only in discussions with Thailand's health ministry and disease control department. Anutin Charnvirukul is the health minister . So why didn't  Anutin follow through on ordering the 20 million doses of Pfizer? Now he wants 10 million a month later. Or is this more discussions with Pfizer that leads to nothing again?

The Thai government is to sign a purchase order of 20 million doses of Pfizer today, with delivery expected in the final quarter of this year, while 5 million doses of Moderna are expected to be procured as an alternative paid option at private hospitals. Since we now know the 20 mil was never ordered in July. Can we assume Moderna was not ordered either?

14 minutes ago, internationalism said:

at the last week of July both of them were signed, pfizer 20mln, moderna 5mln.

https://news.yahoo.com/thai-hospital-tycoon-promised-pfizer-070815702.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall   Is this the same 20 mil you talk about? also this   Sorry to say, but private hospitals have started to send out cancellation notices to some people that had paid in advance for the Moderna vaccine. People have 7 days to claim a refund. But they add you can reserve a 2nd generation Moderna vaccine due in April 2022  This is from Richard Barrow on Twitter the other day. Have you heard the same?

14 minutes ago, club said:

Is this the same 20 mil you talk

No. The regime ordered 20 mm doses from Pfizer.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/contract-signed-for-thailands-20-million-doses-of-pfizer-vaccine-delivery-in-q4-this-year/

And they say they will order another 10 mm doses.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/first-batch-us-donated-pfizer-vaccines-arrives-thailand-2021-07-30/

We will believe it when we see it. There comes a point where all credibility is lost. Virtually anything related to Prayuth (the self appointed Covid Czar and failure), Anutin, and Phiphat is coming from a place that is the "men of zero cred void". So, an announcement like this means little, to most of us. Real men serve their people with actions, nor words. 

And the 2nd question is, why was this not done last year, when most of the civilized nations of the world were placing their orders, and what are the real reasons that Thailand declined the Covax assistance? 

Perhaps a trial should be held, so that some responsibility could be placed on the shoulders of these tiny men, who cannot and will not accept any responsibility of their own. And then they could be locked up for good. Lock them up, and throw away the keys. 

Edited by spidermike007

On 7/31/2021 at 5:45 AM, hioctane said:

Obviously because there is not enough supply from manufacturers. They are depending on donations now. A lot of the Pfizer and Moderna purchases are for later in the year. They are buying whatever supply  they can even if it is 2 at a time!

Depending on donations!!!   They have been promising and according to them negotiating for western vaccines for since the Delta variant hit. How long ago was that? But when they need a vaccine  from China it shows up in one week and its obvious it cant stop the Delta variant so why order it 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lks7689 said:

Sorry for my late reply. I don't log in here often. But I think the CDC news is on most mainstream media. 

Thanks, I'm sure I can find it myself. I actually do follow mainstream news quite extensively, but thanks for implying otherwise. I'm looking for more details regarding the research that compare and contrast the similarities and variances between chicken pox and delta as far as transmission.  

On 8/6/2021 at 3:16 PM, DBath said:

Thanks, I'm sure I can find it myself. I actually do follow mainstream news quite extensively, but thanks for implying otherwise. I'm looking for more details regarding the research that compare and contrast the similarities and variances between chicken pox and delta as far as transmission.  

I read it was because the R0 of Delta is about 5 to 9.5, thus drawing comparisons to chicken pox which has an R0 of more than 8.5. 

• Like 2