PM Prayut downplays severity of Thailand's COVID-19 situation, claims other countries have it worse

webfact

This is what they should have been thinking from the Spring through the Fall last year: what is going on? this is too good to be true meaning in some sense it is not true. The numbers are crazy low, countries having homo sapiens just like us are having death and destruction. We're not immortal gods, we're human, you cut us we bleed, you hit us we fall down, when is it going to happen? How do we prepare, how are other countries coping, what can we learn, what's the smart move? But no, it was how do we protect the elite and squeak by. 

31 minutes ago, Enzian said:

This is what they should have been thinking from the Spring through the Fall last year: what is going on? this is too good to be true meaning in some sense it is not true. The numbers are crazy low, countries having homo sapiens just like us are having death and destruction. We're not immortal gods, we're human, you cut us we bleed, you hit us we fall down, when is it going to happen? How do we prepare, how are other countries coping, what can we learn, what's the smart move? But no, it was how do we protect the elite and squeak by. 

you are spot on there, for sure covid was ready to pounce at some point in time and its hit hard now from a few months back

7 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Thursday (Jul 29) downplayed the COVID-19 situation Thailand, while claiming that other nations are dealing with higher caseloads.

That's no reason to have that Smirk on his face. 

If he would've done the same thing that he done in the beginning of the C19 

Closing up the Country and a proper Curfew then we wouldn't be in this giant Mess. 

By keeping open the country and trying to get more people to come to Thailand for a holiday and Hi So Travel isn't going to cut it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Indeed, but it was the go to argument on here for a long while.

I don't care about other countries, I care about Thailand, where I live and work. 

This man is a total buffoon and unfit for office.

Covid doesn't respect national boundaries, but Prayuth sees to think it is some kind of football league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Have a look at today's Bangkok Post. In it there's an opinion piece by CHAIRITH YONPIAM dealing with the current crisis of faith. In it he quotes the harsh criticism MC Chulcherm Yugala (a staunch royalist endowed with the very best of endorsements) has for the PM.

I think we're very close to a change in the guard but who will take over is anybody's guess. But do read the article, it's very interesting.

I did, this morning.

Said it before and I'll say it again. If he were back in the military, he would be taking over control of the government, because he would think, in the purpose of national security that the government is doing a poor job of handling the crisis. But with the tables have turned, he thinks he is doing a fine job with his fellow military cronies. I think he is so narcissistic, he can't even realize this, or couldn't/wouldn't admit it.

• Like 2

For whatever reasons, Thailand has had VERY low Covid infection rates for over a year.

BUT

They have patently failed to take on vaccination with any sense of urgency or competence. thus leaving the country unnecessarily vulnerable to any waves caused by new strains.

The government has been more concerned with unnecessary hesitation and caution in choosing vaccines rather than taking the plunge and getting a vaccine out there. They have failed to protect Thailand when they had the opportunity.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 4:29 AM, RichardColeman said:

Maybe he would like to explain Thailand's fall from grace, of going from 144th for infections to 44th and running in line with poor African for vaccine roll out !

I'll try. Thailand is ranked 20th in world population (from 195 countries), so 44th is not too bad for covid infections.

Considering other SE Asian countries.

Population of Thailand is 4th ranked, and 3rd ranked for number of infections and 5th ranked for deaths. I don't trust numbers out of Vietnam (3rd in population in SE Asia) as their reported numbers are very low. For example, China is reporting 4,636 deaths (lower than Thailand) and only 92,930 infections (less than 1/6th of Thailand) since last year - that has to be nonsense.

You should have been offering more credit when they were 144th (if they were) but that was probably more luck than anything else. Perhaps the hot tropical climate helped, and Thai people's diet is high in phytochemicals from a diet rich in fruit and vegetables, boosting their immune systems.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, beano2274 said:

Here Mr PM, this is based on deaths in one day, only one other country in Asia higher than Thailand, maybe again get the facts.

image.png.d16e88bab4e2e67da1c6cc490114653c.png

Sorry only one country is not in Asia at all, Indonesia and Iran are both Asian countries, and Russia is both in Europe and Asia.

• Like 1