SURVEY: How long before Thailand returns to normal?

Scott

SURVEY: How long before Thailand returns to normal?  

390 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the virus widespread but with vaccine programs being started in earnest, how long do you think it will be until Thailand is back to normal?   For the purpose of the defining normal, let's use unrestricted travel throughout the country and unrestricted access for most nationalities.  

Please feel free to leave a comment.  

6 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Probably in most countries including Thailand there will never be a return to the 'old normal'.

Many things will have changed permanently - supply chains, people flows, ways of doing business, education structures, community health processes & standards, concepts of national security ...

Don't think you will be far off the mark with that comment. 

• Like 2

First, covid is not going away. With vaccine and herd immunity it can be mitigated. One year for the order, one year for the aftermath and one year begins the attempt to rebuild. This is just covid that means laws, trust, return to what most consider normal.

Especially if we lockdown for two months in next few weeks (in the next year there will be many lockdowns) the economy is doomed. This will take five years to recover imo. Thais already indebted. Economy already teetering since 2015.

Factories will have huge issues managing covid, illness and production. Two years or more.

We don't know the social implications of the loss of parents and breadwinners. By govts estimates 30k pm with nothing to reign it in. People are doing stupid stuff  yesterday I saw a guy buying carrots in Big C. He risked covid for carrots.

Tourism. As long as ASQ and all the paperwork and circus is in place tourism is dead.

Thailand will need to produce vaccine passport because why not $$$

I don't see the housing market moving or at all healthy. This can go on until the banks call the loans but they can't bc they've given overextended second, third mortgages. Oh well.

Politically there is no return to democratic process and what we in the west consider proper due process and jurisprudence. What this dissolution means for the future no one knows but I don't see how it can be a positive.

It will be five years or two years after the US sorts itself out. Whichever is less.

Edited by kynikoi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stubby said:

The viruses, however, don't completely disappear,

Exactly what I had said.

Many, but hardly all weaken. Then the timeline...How long do they take to weaken? Typical flu kills millions annually.

How long did it take SARS 1 to disapate? It hadn't and that's what covid is a stronger SARS, SARS 2. That's what they were studying in Wuhan.

Smallpox, polio are still issues but I won't go into that.

MERS, ebola, diphtheria, mumps, TB. Yup, just disappeared on their own donchaknow.

Some may, others may not. It's hardly that simple and a virus has no three year expiration lol.

• Like 1

You mean completely normal with 39 million tourists a year?  I say more than ten years.  

The reason being is even after vaccines are rolled out and this pandemic is under control, to get airlines back up and running will be a massive problem.  Before all this there was a shortage of pilots.  When we get going again there will be a huge shortage of pilots.

Not to mention hotels, etc.

I suspect to go to Thailand will be much more expensive in the next 2 years.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

the Emergency Decree is lifted, I suspect this will be before the end of the year. 

It's been going on since forever. It's political as much as anything else.

With a maximum of another 25M first vax why would you think this? The emergency decree is more political than for public health.

10 hours ago, meechai said:

This is the new "Abnormal"

There is no cure for the common cold & this Covid will also be chased

In the end all Pandemics become Endemic & no vaccine has ever cured one

We have had no world wars in 76 years, No major Pandemic in 101 years

This hopefully will not be as bad as those two

Smallpox

Polio (not entirely eradicated because of religion and human ignorance)

Also

Scarlet fever, Typhoid and Cholera are no longer common childhood killers.

• Like 2

There is no normal anymore....where have you been for the last 16 months man!!!

The New Normal has begun at the Phuket sandbox... changes and adjustments will be made and things will get back to some semblance of what they were before Covid within the next 6 months if 75% of Thais are vaccinated

After "The Singularity". That's when -for better or worse, Artificial Intelligence supersedes humans, and will no longer be "programmable" it will make its own decisions.

Thus, it will likely deny computing power to "harmful" humans, and reset the rules of the humanity game.

Or, it will just kill us off in one fell swoop.

It is unstoppable short of nuclear annihilation globally, and it is in progress, the only question now is, when will it arrive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Typical flu kills millions annually. How long did it take SARS 1 to disapate? Smallpox, polio are still issues but I won't go into that. MERS, ebola, diphtheria, mumps, TB. Yup, just disappeared on their own donchaknow.

You're right; flu does kill lots of people annually, as do MANY other diseases. I mean, we all get old (if we're lucky), then we get sick, and then we die. It's the sad cycle of life and the absolute certainty that most people accept. I'm yet to meet anyone who's evaded it.

OUR FINITE LIFE

Seriously, how many people go to bed fighting fit after a lovely evening with friends and family... then pass away peacefully in their sleep? Very few indeed. It's a beautiful thought, but it's hardly the reality. And at least we can be thankful for 21st-century pain management.

But we don't spend our lives breathing through masks, fearing the inevitable, or worrying about what might happen. What's the point?

You die if you worry. And... you die if your don't... so why worry?

VIRUSES ARE ALL AROUND US... DON'T YOU KNOW?

We shouldn't hide away from illnesses that are no longer pandemics. That's my point. Heck, it would result in a planet full of low-immunity, highly vulnerable human hermits. COVID and all its scaremongering may have even created some of the above.

Scientists now believe there are more viruses on earth than there are stars in the universe. But our immunity does a great job of stopping them from harming us.

Seasonal flu... or other triggers of harmful outbreaks... are not pandemics that bring the entire global population to a standstill. Sadly, it's the usual culprits that get hit—for the most part—i.e., the old, already sick, and vulnerable. 

HAVE A THOUGHT FOR THE FEARFUL

To start a post with, "COVID is not going away…" is not helpful and totally unnecessary. And the rest of your "speculative" post is equally grim. Yes, you could be right about some things and wrong about others, only time will tell. 

But to scribble so much negatively might cause undue distress to some folks having a tough time of things... don't you think?

Stubby

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1