Rumours of coup in Thailand is fake news: Thai police

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The post had damaged the fine upstanding name of the army and the government, it was felt.

I need to check my calendar again... 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Fake love

Fake subhubs

Fake romance
Fake women
Fake News
Fake Rolexes 
Fake Bomb detectors
Fake Immi imposters

and now FAKE COUPS

Amusing Thighland ,What's it got?  It's got the lot.

The hub of fakes? 

• Haha 1

Some posts attempting to link to disallowed sites with dangerous content have been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family is above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules will result in an immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

There were repeated assurances from the Army that there would be no coup before the 2014 coup.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-01-07/thai-army-chief-urges-public-to-ignore-rumors-of-possible-coup

The coup denials increased in frequency the closer we got to the actual coup:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/thai-army-denies-coup-after-declaring-martial-law-n109656

After the fact the Army denied the coup was planned. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28029977

Apparently in Thailand sometime coups just happen and catch everyone by surprise, even the people staging the coup.  That's reassuring, isn't it?

Edited by heybruce
  • Thanks 2

According to various sources on the Internet, there have been 18 coups d'etat in Thailand since 1932, 13 of them successful.  

2021 minus 1932 gives 89 years.  Divide by 18 gives just under 5 years.  So, it seems that, historically, coups are on average 5 years apart.  

Hmmm.....

9 hours ago, LarryLEB said:

According to various sources on the Internet, there have been 18 coups d'etat in Thailand since 1932, 13 of them successful.  

2021 minus 1932 gives 89 years.  Divide by 18 gives just under 5 years.  So, it seems that, historically, coups are on average 5 years apart.  

Hmmm.....

Almost as regular as the Olympics.

17 hours ago, dick turpin said:

A coup and a run on the baht, that's the last thing we want to see....hmm

I was here at the time of the 2006 coup. Only army I saw were on the slip roads to the new airport.

Baht was close to 70/£, happy days.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

I was here at the time of the 2006 coup. Only army I saw were on the slip roads to the new airport.

The 2014 coup was different.  In the north martial law, a strictly enforced curfew and military roadblocks were in place for many weeks after the coup.

Take boomer rumour with a pinch of Sriracha.

Recent guidlines from embassy, we're all vaxxed and have exit strategies.

Guidelines to 'elp the dentally Andy Capped in the age of Critical pace feary.

Critical Made up stuff not allowed, by order.

Criticism of our betters , watch it.SA Norwegian trolls can you afjord to ?

True provable lie witness counts unexpectorable, remember webs can decieve photos, elections and  cats can be doctored.

However some mispoke misinformation  may seep thru from official sauces , so always wash your hands thoroghly after the rest room and dealings with Polly tissues and for the insane reason.

Elderly US, UK citizens in dire need of vaax are advised to become French at the eeliest opportunity.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 12:58 PM, tingtong said:

Based on the past 100 yrs of Thai history, about every 8 yrs on average?

An easy bet that Prayuth wasn't the last.

Shouldn't your calculations start from 1932, so 89 years of coup history? That might increase the frequency and we are due for another this week.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LarryLEB said:

Hmmm.....

Exactly right! We are overdue.

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

Possibly the most facile assessment of that coup. I was here for both the last coups and saw the damage they did to both the economy and democracy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

The 2014 coup was different.  In the north martial law, a strictly enforced curfew and military roadblocks were in place for many weeks after the coup.

Yes, it was about 55 baht to the pound, not a lot else different.

39 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Possibly the most facile assessment of that coup. I was here for both the last coups and saw the damage they did to both the economy and democracy. 

Opinions are based on perception influenced by personal circumstances. After coming here for nine years I came to  live in 2008, but obviously you have seen a different Thailand.

The anti government sentiment makes people want to believe that things would have been better if Shinawatra had remained at the helm, but it is what it is and nobody will ever know.

I doubt this one, the government still controls the army, hard to do much against that.

I actually don't have much of an issue with this government.  OK, not ordering vaccines early enough was a big error, but before Covid things seemed to be working well. 

The continual exaggerated claims are just to keep us amused; nobody takes them seriously.  ????