Due to Periodic Covid Lockdowns: I Wish to Edit a Thesis for a Grad Student in Thailand. But, How Might I Find an Excellent Student needing help?

Wishing Good Health to All:

During this lockdown, and possible future rolling lockdowns in the offing, I have come to the realization that the best choice for me might be to just hunker down and do another 150-page thesis edit for a deserving/perfectionist grad student in Thailand.  If I did, then there would be no need to leave my house for three months. And, no time to think about COVID.

I have done a fair number of these long and time-consuming ESL-type edits in recent years.  And, due to the projected effects of COVID, I believe that several more time-consuming and worthy projects would be a win/win proposition.

Obviously, I do not expect that any grad student worth her salt might be reading this forum while completing her thesis research, and so this is not an ad.

Instead, I had hoped that just one or two readers here might provide me with some pointers concerning how to quickly find ESL grad students in Thailand who might need my help.

ESL thesis editing is actually not typical editing as most editors might know it. ESL editing is more a matter of careful interpretation, plus editing. The task is to preserve the meaning of convoluted paragraphs while making them readable. And then, to do a second edit, and maybe even a third edit after thesis defense.

I have edited theses written by students from Burma (Myanmar), China, Cambodia and Thailand. It’s always the same, and the process from beginning to completion requires about three months as students proceed through the thesis writing process. This is what I am seeking. I usually work 12 hours per day, 7 days per week, on a good thesis edit, and rarely feel the need to think about the world around me or come up for air. True, I listen to JS Bach, The Well-Tempered Clavier and Bach’s cello compositions while editing, and this keeps me going with very few breaks.

These days, and this next year, I am considering doing one or two, maybe three, more thesis edits, and just hope to let the world go by outside my house, and be able to happily subsist on food delivered outside my door. Such a thing as this will be good for students, and good for me during this unique time in history.

Most likely, the worse the virus gets, and the more the virus adapts, the more theses I will wish to gladly edit in a meticulous way.

THEREFORE, I kindly ask any knowledgeable reader here to provide me with a few pointers concerning best ways to quickly find deserving Thai grad students in need of thesis editing help.

I work hard, and I am a perfectionist about such things as transition from one paragraph to the next, in order to create a more logical flow of ideas presented throughout each chapter. 

I prefer helping a student who has chosen a topic in the Natural Sciences. However, if/when I agree to edit a thesis in the Social Sciences, then the topic should be worthy and should not be boring, but should broach something new and interesting.

In case anyone might wish to know, I am an IVY grad from a top university on the east coast of the US. Think Benjamin Franklin.

I exercise much patience and do my best to be supportive of students during the extremely stressful writing process as they complete their thesis and defense.

In Conclusion: 

There are some serious people on this forum who are also smart and resourceful; I know.

How can I find a good and caring student who needs help?

What is the point in being in lockdown for many more months without using this time to help a student, if one might? Why waste this time???

Please feel free to send me a message if you have any thoughts.

Or just reply on the forum, even better.

I do not exactly expect I will find the answer to my question here, although I just might.

And so, it is worth a try to ask such a question in this space.

Thank you.

Note:  Of course, most thesis edits are normally done between the months of April and June. Still, due to the pandemic, maybe timing, and our times, have now changed.

Tks, again.

(If this turns out to be a double-post: Sorry. Not intentional.)

• 4 months later...
20 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Maybe wait until March, would be better.

No one is writing theses during the months of December and January.

But, thank you for your suggestion.

All depends, some are finishing up now and looking for editors.  All the best