Laguna founder KP Ho calls for Phuket, other Sandbox destinations to be ‘Green listed’ as COVID safe havens

webfact

9 hours ago, mjnaus said:

Infections become rather meaningless for a country that has vaccinated the majority of its people. Hence tens of thousand of infections in a country like the UK or The Netherlands means pretty much nothing since these infections don't translate in large numbers of people needing medical care, hospitalization or deaths. This in stark contract with a country like Thailand where a smaller of number of infections translates into a much larger strain being put on the healthcare system.

The virus is here to stay; I think that much is pretty obvious by now. So focussing on just numbers of infections only, without taking context into consideration does not make much sense. 

We had a big spike in infections in The Netherlands recently, yet live carried on as normal without any additional restrictions. The increase in infections did not put a massive burden on the hospital and deaths stayed pretty much the same. 

Not true, life did not carry on without any additional restrictions, all restrictions that were eased 1-2 weeks earlier were rolled back.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 4:09 AM, webfact said:

Speaking at the Phuket Sandbox Summit held at Laguna Phuket, KP Ho called on policy-makers in Europe and around the world to support Phuket as a separate “green” zone.

Nice try... clean up Thailands vaccination programme, especially in the so-called "bubble & seal" islands that are now having increasing infections, he might be listened to instead of receiving a nod & a grin.

13 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Really? Why? The UK infection figure for 2 August is quoted as 21,952 down from around 51,000 on 16 July. The Thai infection figure today is given as around 19,000 and has never been anywhere near 51,000. Surely we Brits are more dangerous to the Thais than they are to us.

FYI https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/thailand-georgia-iran-red-list-travel-b1895956.html

I hope it doesn't happen but it's been distinct possibility for a while now.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Not true, life did not carry on without any additional restrictions, all restrictions that were eased 1-2 weeks earlier were rolled back.

No they were not. The only restrictions that got rolled back were those for large festivals. Nothing else changed. 

6 hours ago, DoctorB said:

I agree with you entirely. I was in London on Saturday and pubs and restaurants were buzzing. The only people wearing face masks were a few 'virtue signallers' on the tube. I can see absolutely no reason why the UK government would want to put either Phuket, or Thailand as a whole, on any red list; not that logic seems to play much part in UK governemt decisions in this regard.

(sentence highlighted in bold by me)

Perhaps, like me, they weren't virtue signallers, but have a lung disease...

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

(sentence highlighted in bold by me)

Perhaps, like me, they weren't virtue signallers, but have a lung disease...

If you have a lung decease in the midst of a pandemic of a major respiratory disease you don’t go to a pub, mask or no mask.

That said, wearing a mask Isn’t going to hurt, just so long as those who do are getting evangelical about it in a pub. 

When fully vaccinated with a ‘good’ vaccine (Pfizer / AZ) the risks are vastly limited such that having covid is a non-event; for the vast majority. 

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you have a lung decease in the midst of a pandemic of a major respiratory disease you don’t go to a pub, mask or no mask.

That said, wearing a mask Isn’t going to hurt, just so long as those who do are getting evangelical about it in a pub. 

When fully vaccinated with a ‘good’ vaccine (Pfizer / AZ) the risks are vastly limited such that having covid is a non-event; for the vast majority. 

They were on the tube. And imo nothing to do with virtue signaling, but with being sensical about this.

• Like 1