Laguna founder KP Ho calls for Phuket, other Sandbox destinations to be ‘Green listed’ as COVID safe havens

webfact

23 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Nice post, but this is more the issue.  Phuket was vaccinated early on which means they mostly got Sinovac.  Sinovac is not a recognized or approved vaccine by the US or the UK so they cannot at this point with conscious send their citizens there claiming it is safe.

They're fully vaccinated.  They're tested before their flight, and upon arrival.  They're tested again after a week.  Then, they're tested yet again before they can fly back home.

They're safer than 99% of their citizens back home who are exposed to Delta just by going out for groceries.

• Like 2

Really! TIT

He must have a sniff that the EU/USA/UK are about to redlist Thailand.

I am not sure they will redlist Thailand, as keeping good relations with Thailand - against the CCP is a consideration for the UK/USA (maybe the EU). Not saying I agree but it is not as simple as it seems....

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Things must be starting to hurt his pocket, what a load of twaddle .......................LOL

2 hours ago, smedly said:

here are the boxes that need to be ticked for that to happen

the assessment is based on

- testing level (current fail across Thailand)

- Infection rate and spread ( only known through mass testing) - fail

- infection rate and current numbers even with limited testing - fail

- (Effective) vaccine deployment - fail

- sinovac is not an approved vaccine in Europe and the US so why should they recognise its use in Thailand - fail

a lot of unticked boxes

gey your house in order then you might see some improvement

without weekly testing of locals and mandatory vaccination of locals, infections will always be here

Even thou 38 incoming international arrivals have tested positive, none have died

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

There is a reason that Madiera (1000km from Portugal), Canary Islands (2000 km from Spain) & Balearics (300km from mainland Spain) are treated separately.

Phuket has a 500m bridge and is manned by corrupt officials, it will never be treated differently to Thailand as a whole

Distance is not an issue. For instance, Hong Kong and Gibraltar are separated from neighbouring China and Spain in UK's Covid travel advice. Yes technically they are independent (although Hong Kong's case can be disputed), sort of. But thousands people cross its boarder daily just like Phuket bridge if not more. My point was that you said it can not be done because nobody did that. And I approved to you that it was done. Now you say it can't be done because of distance, I listed two territories that was physically connected to mainland countries and can be seen as separate regions for Covid travel warning. Please do not argue they are not like Phuket that is part of a sovereignty country, that is just for the sake of arguing. Let us not go down that path. Thanks.

25 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I've seen reports from various sources that more restrictions are being put on the Phuket Sandbox. Call it whatever color it whatever you want, it won't make it a winner.

And I have seen reports from the people responsible that for the moment things will stay as they are.

10 hours ago, madmitch said:

Just another desperate plea from a very wealthy individual with a vested interest.

Every once in a great while, the interests of the wealthy coincide with the interest of the masses.  Re-opening tourism in Thailand is one of those rare occasions when millions of hungry Thai people are out of work, with no gub'ment safety net.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ChC1 said:

Distance is not an issue. For instance, Hong Kong and Gibraltar are separated from neighbouring China and Spain in UK's Covid travel advice. Yes technically they are independent (although Hong Kong's case can be disputed), sort of. But thousands people cross its boarder daily just like Phuket bridge if not more. My point was that you said it can not be done because nobody did that. And I approved to you that it was done. Now you say it can't be done because of distance, I listed two territories that was physically connected to mainland countries and can be seen as separate regions for Covid travel warning. Please do not argue they are not like Phuket that is part of a sovereignty country, that is just for the sake of arguing. Let us not go down that path. Thanks.

Just what part of this do you not understand? Nobody is going to fing do this for THAILAND!!!!

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Every once in a great while, the interests of the wealthy coincide with the interest of the masses.  Re-opening tourism in Thailand is one of those rare occasions when millions of hungry Thai people are out of work, with no gub'ment safety net.

Yes reopening Thailand is important.  Phuket is not that important to Thailand just to Phuket.

7 minutes ago, HappyinNE said:

Yes reopening Thailand is important.  Phuket is not that important to Thailand just to Phuket.

And it has been announced over and over again that this is the start for opening Thailand.

13 hours ago, madmitch said:

Thailand, including Phuket, is more likely to enter the UK red zone rather than part of the country going green. I wouldn't be surprised to see the whole of Southeast Asia, excluding Singapore, going red.

Just another desperate plea from a very wealthy individual with a vested interest.

Really? Why? The UK infection figure for 2 August is quoted as 21,952 down from around 51,000 on 16 July. The Thai infection figure today is given as around 19,000 and has never been anywhere near 51,000. Surely we Brits are more dangerous to the Thais than they are to us.

27 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Really? Why? The UK infection figure for 2 August is quoted as 21,952 down from around 51,000 on 16 July. The Thai infection figure today is given as around 19,000 and has never been anywhere near 51,000. Surely we Brits are more dangerous to the Thais than they are to us.

Infections become rather meaningless for a country that has vaccinated the majority of its people. Hence tens of thousand of infections in a country like the UK or The Netherlands means pretty much nothing since these infections don't translate in large numbers of people needing medical care, hospitalization or deaths. This in stark contract with a country like Thailand where a smaller of number of infections translates into a much larger strain being put on the healthcare system.

The virus is here to stay; I think that much is pretty obvious by now. So focussing on just numbers of infections only, without taking context into consideration does not make much sense. 

We had a big spike in infections in The Netherlands recently, yet live carried on as normal without any additional restrictions. The increase in infections did not put a massive burden on the hospital and deaths stayed pretty much the same. 

6 hours ago, mjnaus said:

Infections become rather meaningless for a country that has vaccinated the majority of its people. Hence tens of thousand of infections in a country like the UK or The Netherlands means pretty much nothing since these infections don't translate in large numbers of people needing medical care, hospitalization or deaths. This in stark contract with a country like Thailand where a smaller of number of infections translates into a much larger strain being put on the healthcare system.

The virus is here to stay; I think that much is pretty obvious by now. So focussing on just numbers of infections only, without taking context into consideration does not make much sense. 

We had a big spike in infections in The Netherlands recently, yet live carried on as normal without any additional restrictions. The increase in infections did not put a massive burden on the hospital and deaths stayed pretty much the same. 

I agree with you entirely. I was in London on Saturday and pubs and restaurants were buzzing. The only people wearing face masks were a few 'virtue signallers' on the tube. I can see absolutely no reason why the UK government would want to put either Phuket, or Thailand as a whole, on any red list; not that logic seems to play much part in UK governemt decisions in this regard.