British Embassy Bangkok

I was just recently in the British Embassy sorting out my Freedom to marry letter and gathering info on a tourist visa for my TGF.

Having read many similar forum to TV, i was sort of dreading the whole event. How things have changed. The staff were extremely polite and helpful. To be exact more than helpful. My letter had printed out on 2 pages and i was informed they would charge twice the fee. I thought i was going to have to make a quick dash to the internet shop again, but no. The official asked if it would be ok if HE took my pages to the photocopier and re jigged them to one page. After picking up my chin, i agreed and thanked him. He later gave me some cracking info on the visa application service and the best approach to completing it.

On collecting my papers the next day, i received a cheery wave of recogition and a warm welcome. Even though i took a ticket, the gentleman official came out to collect my receipt and i was served in double quick time. As i was leaving I loadly and publicly thanked him for his help.

I would also like to share that thanks with fellow TV members.

There seems to be a fresh team in place.

In addition, the Thai staff at the Ministry of Affairs at Cheung Wattana were very good and very cheery. I think my thai medallion greased the wheels of government, or at least made them smile.

due to the number of complaints they must receive about there staff, it would not surprise me at all if there was a new team in place. Just remember you think you have been unfairly treated or a member of staff is rude to you, ask for an appraisal form, fill it in and hand it in, i am led to believe any staff member receives a certain amount of complaints and they are shipped out.

no it is just that the consulair section is a lot friendlier, open and client orientated then the visa department.

I made a post earlier but it seems to have vanished... try again.

I think erikr_ has probably got it right. The consular section is more polite , behave like human beings. Although there may have been some improvement in the visa section with the natural turnover of staff any company or group will have , i doubt the kind of people they get to work there or their lack of curtesy will ever change much. Just my opinion

It could have been something to do with the porcine references in your earlier post, something of which you're evidently aware, as you have now omitted them in your re-post.

By all means provide constructive criticism of the embassy and its staff, but "slagging off" is puerile and not in the least helpful.

Scouse.

It could have been something to do with the porcine references in your earlier post, something of which you're evidently aware, as you have now omitted them in your re-post.

By all means provide constructive criticism of the embassy and its staff, but "slagging off" is puerile and not in the least helpful.

Scouse.

Ah !! that will explain it . Now i know that freedom of expression is so tightly controlled on this forum i can factor it into my future posts.

no it is just that the consulair section is a lot friendlier, open and client orientated then the visa department.

Especially the white haired chap (no name tags, so I am clueless) .... I needed to renew my passport last month and from start to finish it was. an absolute pleasure

I made a post earlier but it seems to have vanished... try again.

i doubt the kind of people they get to work there or their lack of curtesy will ever change much. Just my opinion

I have the strangest feeling paragon, that we have met before :o , but not through being, 'models of virtue'.

Good Luck

Moss

Scouse.

Ah !! that will explain it . Now i know that freedom of expression is so tightly controlled on this forum i can factor it into my future posts.

you never did before :o:D

Especially the white haired chap (no name tags, so I am clueless) .... I needed to renew my passport last month and from start to finish it was. an absolute pleasure

Yep, I'll give a vote for this chap too, dealt with him on several occasions, 100% :o It's a shame there are no name tags coz. he warrants a positive stroke.

Probably a fair assessment but then the isues they deal with; lost, stolen or expired passports, registering births etc., swearing self serving documents and generally doing British type things are all relatively non contentious issues easily resolved provided the 'form' has been completed and the fee paid. The consular function in any Embassy is defined as one of assistance and to complain would be churlish.

But to confuse the consular section with the visa section, as the OP seems to have to done, is perhaps a mistake akin to sitting on a slumbering crocodile thinking it a log.

One hopes the OP doesn't get bitten.

Probably a fair assessment but then the isues they deal with; lost, stolen or expired passports, registering births etc., swearing self serving documents and generally doing British type things are all relatively non contentious issues easily resolved provided the 'form' has been completed and the fee paid. The consular function in any Embassy is defined as one of assistance and to complain would be churlish.

But to confuse the consular section with the visa section, as the OP seems to have to done, is perhaps a mistake akin to sitting on a slumbering crocodile thinking it a log.

One hopes the OP doesn't get bitten.

Who would want a consular officers job? Other than the stuff above they are also the ones who deal with the crazies who go troppo on holiday, go to the morgue to assist in identifying dead bodies, give monthly visits to prisoners and a myriad of other unpleasent tasks. Basicly they are looking after all the unfortunate nationals who need help in way form or another.

You are right though you should never confuse a consular section with a visa section, or with the political section or a trade section or the aid section etc etc etc. I know for Australian Embassies and I would presume UK, US etc they are mostly all seperate departments just sharing the same building and coming under the title of the 'xxxx Embassy". In the case of Australian Embassies and High Commissions, the building is usually owned and managed by DFAT (Foreign Affairs). The political and consular sections are DFAT, but the visa section (for foreign nationals wanting an Aussie Visa) is DIAC (new name for Immigration Department). The only things they have in common is they share the same building and all answer to the same Ambassador for administrative purposes, but for portfolio specific tasks, such as visa's they answer to their home department and Minister.

due to the number of complaints they must receive about there staff, it would not surprise me at all if there was a new team in place. Just remember you think you have been unfairly treated or a member of staff is rude to you, ask for an appraisal form, fill it in and hand it in, i am led to believe any staff member receives a certain amount of complaints and they are shipped out.

Great tip darkside, Thank you very much! :o

• 4 weeks later...

I was down the Brit Embassy last month getting my Freedom to Marry paperwork sorted - I will agree that the staff on that side of the operation were both efficient and polite and the whole process was well organised.

I was also very impressed and releived particularly that they had one Farang at the desk / window. (I seem to recall from my last visit a dozen years ago that the stress of a lost passport was compounded by an appearance of organised chaos........and dealing with Embassy folk in pidgin English).

The only slight issues I would have is in regard to the scurity arrangements

- obviously no problem with the screening of folk coming into the Embassy - but the resulting large slow moving Q outside would seem to me to actually be creating an easy and identifiable target of Brits..........But <deleted> do I know.........

- and secondly a bloke in the Security Box seemed to be asking folk nearing the head of the Q what their business was in the Embassy. I think he was probably Nepalese, certainly his English was very poor, which coupled with talking through a poor speakerphone and with me being slightly deaf made communications impossible - especially given my reluctance to discuss my exact business on the street in front of strangers, in any event I ended up wavingd a bit of paper at him and indicated that someone inside had to sign something.......and smiling :o .........a very 3rd world process I thought.......but as I do occassionally visit England (including their Flagship airports of LHR and LGW :D ) this did not come as a great cultural shock to me..........although the Missus did think it was a bit strange.