Thailand reports 19,983 new COVID-19 cases, 138 deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

23 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Glad we have you keeping us all safe 

This post was to was to another poster in good faith. If you want to denegrate the veracity of my apology that's up to you but it does show where your intellect is at.

My post:

@ourmanflint

Sorry I mistakenly reported you for miss quoting me. My apologies for this as you didn't. I'm getting on a bit of a report thing here and had a bit of a hare trigger. Once again I apologise. When it comes to the trolls on here now I will not hesitate though. You are trying to turn adult discourse in to childish non rational, bickering arguement. You know who you are as do the rest of us on here

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

Bangkok Governor said today that he is confident that 70% of the population of the capital will have received at least one dose of vaccine by the end of this month. Read more >>> https://thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-governor-confident-70-of-citys-residents-will-be-inoculated-against-covid-19-within-august/… #ThaiPBSWorld #COVID19

Hard to believe as many under 60 still need to be vaccinated including my GF who has waited 4 days with no return email or sms after registering for the 3rd time.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ChC1 said:

Unlike in western society, in Thailand and most of East/Southeast Asian countries, multi-generation living under the same roof is very common.

And really in Italy! There live more generation in same roof than in Thailand! And because that ,older people start drop like fly's when start this covid thing! Yes they all dont put they hand in same  sontam cup or drink same class, BUT THEY KISS eatch other all the time! Kids,babys,son,daughter maybe even dogs , cats ....... etc. I dont know what kind your common Thai family is but in our's almost all generation's live in different house's/places if they are adult. And nornaly kids work different town , even in Isaan if they have not continue to be farmer.

Edited by 2 is 1

43 minutes ago, ChC1 said:

I saw some posters wonder why Thailand does not vaccinate all over 60s first. I see their points, but I also see why Thailand does this too. So I will just point out some considerations, please do not shoot.

1, Cut off the infections chain.

Sure, it is good to vaccinate all over 60s as they are the more vulnerable. But if what happened in Europe as an example, during pandemic, all elderly sheltered at home. Most death among elderly happened in nursing homes. Elderly staying at home sheltering actually did well in comparison. This delta variant is scary, it also had more impact on the younger generation (look at the reports in UK and India you will see). 

So, if the elderly stay at home and sheltering, the chance of catching Covid is less. The risk groups are actually the middle ages and younger generation. People working in hospitals, cramped building sites and transportation hubs are more likely to catch the virus. It is not enough to vaccinate the elderly while this virus is raging among the working ages. To break the chain of infection, you need to protect the people who is mobile with highest exposure first.

2, More importantly, the family structure in Thailand requires a different approach

Why? Unlike in western society, in Thailand and most of East/Southeast Asian countries, multi-generation living under the same roof is very common. One must recognise this fact. So if you vaccinate the elderly, while the working generation (most middle age and younger family with children) went around to earn a living or even shopping for the family, should they pick up the Delta variant and brought it back home, there is still a high chance the elderly would get infected. From this sense, it is better to vaccinate the people who is likely to go outside and come in contact with people outside the family cluster. It also works better with the fit and health men and women. It also reduce the chance of infection as majority of health and fit people has more anti-bodies with vaccine and has less chance of becoming symptomatic.  

3, Sino vaccine for elderly? Maybe?

Another fact one needs to pay attention is the early vaccine in Thailand is from China. Is this vaccine good enough to help the elderly? I don't know. Would you rather use the AZ or even Pfizer for the elderly? My guess is most would think it is a better idea.

So, I know many of you on this forum are mobile, independent living and confident western seniors.  You may not like the idea that you are not the centre of the world in Thailand. And you may not like the idea someone here try to 'educate' you on the typical Asian family structures since you all think you know Asia inside out. But I hope my post may give you some food for thought. Decisions are not taken without careful consideration. What was right in UK or Europe at the beginning of the Alpha and Beta variant is no longer applicable with Delta variant. The family structure in Asia also needs a fresh approach to tackle the infection chain. 

As a side note, a typical Thai retiree would become extremely vulnerable if their son/daughter caught Covid and die. And there would be no one to take care of them. And they would also carry the duties to look after the grandchildren which would be too much of a burden to them. It is very different from the typical European or American family where seniors are more confident and independent living with social welfare and social care. You can argue all you can, but the reality is, for most Thai families, protect the bread winner is more important during pandemic. 

Excellent thought provoking post. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You don't even know what the dominant variants have been in Europe. Beta?? As for the rest well writing another essay to respond to such basic mistakes is time wasting

Thanks. However, I would like to points out that I did not say Beta was a dominant variant? You misread the sentence, or I might have written it in a way to make you think I said it was dominant. But that was not my intention. 

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Bangkok Governor said today that he is confident that 70% of the population of the capital will have received at least one dose of vaccine by the end of this month. Read more >>> 

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-governor-confident-70-of-citys-residents-will-be-inoculated-against-covid-19-within-august/

Of course, Bangkok comes before Isarn, where I live and they really don't care about us here. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChC1 said:

Thanks. However, I would like to points out that I did not say Beta was a dominant variant? You misread the sentence, or I might have written it in a way to make you think I said it was dominant. But that was not my intention. 

Maybe you meant alpha and delta then that would be correct

Edited by Bkk Brian

1 minute ago, ChC1 said:

No, definitely Beta. Because Beta was the variant of concern for much of the spring and summer before Delta.

Not in Europe. Uk is delta. As is most of the rest of europe along with remains of original strain. Beta has a small presence in Spain and France but delta will soon kill that

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

3, Sino vaccine for elderly? Maybe?

Another fact one needs to pay attention is the early vaccine in Thailand is from China. Is this vaccine good enough to help the elderly? I don't know. Would you rather use the AZ or even Pfizer for the elderly? My guess is most would think it is a better idea.

Only query I have in your post is this comment. As far as I am aware, and I am sure I will be corrected if wrong, Sinovac was not recommended for the 60+ range. It has only been in the past couple of weeks that someone decided to allow the mix of Sinovac then AZ for 60+. So why has this suddenly been deemed okay? And why is it so many Thai are also against Sinovac? I have seen the problems incurred with this vaccine which is probably why so many are very wary. For me personally, I do not want Sinovac as it is not, again stand to be corrected, acceptable if I need to fly back to UK. I am relying on Pfizer in the expat programme which I will follow with Moderna, maybe Oct.

26 minutes ago, ChC1 said:

No, definitely Beta. Because Beta was the variant of concern for much of the spring and summer before Delta.

Take a look at this, it will give you a better understanding of vaccine priority when there is limited supplies in a pandemic situation. Relevant to Thailand

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/immunization/sage/covid/sage-prioritization-roadmap-covid19-vaccines.pdf?Status=Temp&sfvrsn=bf227443_2

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, worrab said:

Only query I have in your post is this comment. As far as I am aware, and I am sure I will be corrected if wrong, Sinovac was not recommended for the 60+ range. It has only been in the past couple of weeks that someone decided to allow the mix of Sinovac then AZ for 60+. So why has this suddenly been deemed okay? And why is it so many Thai are also against Sinovac? I have seen the problems incurred with this vaccine which is probably why so many are very wary. For me personally, I do not want Sinovac as it is not, again stand to be corrected, acceptable if I need to fly back to UK. I am relying on Pfizer in the expat programme which I will follow with Moderna, maybe Oct.

You quoted the wrong person worrab, but no issue, I’m not a sensitive soul 

You make a good point re Sinovac  and travel to UK 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

You quoted the wrong person worrab, but no issue, I’m not a sensitive soul 

You make a good point re Sinovac  and travel to UK 

My apologies. Should have been for ChC1.

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Bangkok Governor said today that he is confident that 70% of the population of the capital will have received at least one dose of vaccine by the end of this month. Read more >>> 

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-governor-confident-70-of-citys-residents-will-be-inoculated-against-covid-19-within-august/

How many have had one jab of the Chinese juice. This once again is the 'govt' big noting themselves when the reality is quite different. Pure propaganda.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

How many have had one jab of the Chinese juice. This once again is the 'govt' big noting themselves when the reality is quite different. Pure propaganda.

Why on earth would you obtain missile defense from the one who dropped a bomb on you?

• Like 1