Renew Expired British Passport

BKKJ

Hi

I called the passport exquiry line in the UK today, but after 90 minutes I still hadn't got through. I wondered if this forum could help.

My son has a British passport which is due for renewal next week. For a couple of reasons, we might not be able to renew it before the expiry date.

My questions are as follows:

1. Will he be able to renew his passport after the expiry date?

2. If so, how long a period of grace is there before the passport becomes entirely invalid?

3. If not, does how have to apply for another passport from scratch?

4. If he does have to start from scratch, where can I find relevant information about the process?

Best regards

BKKJ

Question 1 is answered indirectly by GOV.UK, see below.  I strongly suspect that the answer to your Q2 is counted in years rather than weeks/months.

Renew a child passport

You can apply to renew a child passport online or by post.

If your child’s passport has expired, you must renew it before they can travel.

• Like 1

My son (dual national: Thai/British) obtained a child UK passport when he was about 8/9 years old. As it was only valid for 5 years and no pressing need for an earlier renewal (he has a Thai passport so no visa or nearby country travel issues) decided to wait until he was eligible to apply for a 10 year adult passport.

This was via VFS in Bangkok using the gov.uk website for the application forms and also had his school teacher (UK national) sign off on the photo, etc. No issues with expired passport and the new passport came through normally after processing by HMPO and return to VFS, Bangkok for collection.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Upnotover said:

You can apply to renew a child passport online or by post.

If your child’s passport has expired, you must renew it before they can travel.

We aren't concerned about travelling on the passport at the moment - just whether it can be renewed after the expiry date.