Thailand vaccine rollout finally picking up pace - media publishes 10 stats you need to know

webfact

1 hour ago, SmartyMarty said:

So no different to most western countries then?

A lot different . Western countries are far in front . 

Main problem is availability in progressive countries such as Thailand. The Thai government has put too much faith in the home production of the AZ vaccine . 

5 minutes ago, itsari said:

A lot different . Western countries are far in front . 

Main problem is availability in progressive countries such as Thailand. The Thai government has put too much faith in the home production of the AZ vaccine . 

If the Thai govt had too much faith in the production of AZ vaccine, why did they originally order so little of it? Probably the answer has something to do with the disparity in costs between it and Sinovac and the dubious history of the Sinovac manufacturer.

Just now, placeholder said:

If the Thai govt had too much faith in the production of AZ vaccine, why did they originally order so little of it? Probably the answer has something to do with the disparity in costs between it and Sinovac and the dubious history of the Sinovac manufacturer.

Since you are asking me , I think that the Thai government did not think they would need them . Yet the company producing the vaccine here in Thailand were taking many orders which they could not fulfill . 

9 minutes ago, itsari said:

Since you are asking me , I think that the Thai government did not think they would need them . Yet the company producing the vaccine here in Thailand were taking many orders which they could not fulfill . 

I think the first part of your statement is true. 

I think the second part is more about governments (Thai) over-stating the amounts that they ordered. I believe that Siam Bioscience have delivered the contracted amounts in Thailand.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, placeholder said:

Being less effective is not the same thing as ineffective. I remember when Sinovac was being denounced after one study showed it had a 51% effectiveness, but when a study showed that the Biontech-Pfizer vaccine had a 39% effectiveness against the delta variant, that doesn't seem to have figured in the thinking of those clamoring for that vaccine. There have been no large scale clinical studies released on the effectiveness of Sinovac in preventing serious symptoms and death in those infected with the Delta variant. What is so hard to understand about that?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/delta-variant-pfizer-covid-vaccine-39percent-effective-in-israel-prevents-severe-illness.html

Apparently, the Pfizer effectiveness isn't effective (less than 50%) against Delta variant but some people just ignored the statistics ... I wonder why...

Edited by EricTh

14 hours ago, RobU said:

WHO validates Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use and issues interim policy recommendations

Vaccine efficacy results showed that the vaccine prevented symptomatic disease in 51% of those vaccinated and prevented severe COVID-19 and hospitalization in 100% of the studied population.

Regrettably your response here did not address the poster's concern, which was:
"There have been no large scale clinical studies released on the effectiveness of Sinovac in preventing serious symptoms and death IN THOSE INFECTED WITH THE DELTA VARIANT" (my emphasis via capitalisation).

The WHO validation is dated 1st June - before Delta came on the scene.

I do hope that the WHO refreshes it's study or some other trustworthy research body does it and particularly hope that Sinovac is shown to have a reasonable level of efficacy in reducing death and hospitalisations. I'm not a cheerleader for the 'Chinese Poison' hate campaign.

15 minutes ago, EricTh said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/delta-variant-pfizer-covid-vaccine-39percent-effective-in-israel-prevents-severe-illness.html

Apparently, the Pfizer effectiveness isn't effective (less than 50%) against Delta variant but some people just ignored the statistics ... I wonder why...

Well, it may not be so effective against infection by the Delta variant as it was against others, but it still provides very good protection against serious illness and death. It's not known yet how effective Sinovac and Sinopharm are against hospitalizations and death due to the Delta variant. Still, it's interesting that when Brazil rated it as 51% effective against the development of any symptoms that was seized on as a reason to denounce it, but when Israel gave Biontech-Pfizer a 39% rating, pretty much dead silence from those who disparaged the 51% for Sinovac.

Chinese vaccine manufacturer Sinovac said its vaccine was still effective against the Delta variant of the Corona virus.

“This vaccine does not provide 100 percent protection but can still be effective in preventing severity and death,” the company wrote, quoted by the China Global Times media, Saturday (26/6/2021).

Wei Sheng, a professor at Tongji Medical College’s School of Public Health, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, said in an interview with CCTV that according to the latest trial results, widely administered vaccines including the Sinovac vaccine are still effective against the Delta variant.

18 hours ago, internationalism said:

please don't count this 48% sinovac - not working for delta.

Please, verify before commenting.

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Well, it may not be so effective against infection by the Delta variant as it was against others, but it still provides very good protection against serious illness and death. It's not known yet how effective Sinovac and Sinopharm are against hospitalizations and death due to the Delta variant. Still, it's interesting that when Brazil rated it as 51% effective against the development of any symptoms that was seized on as a reason to denounce it, but when Israel gave Biontech-Pfizer a 39% rating, pretty much dead silence from those who disparaged the 51% for Sinovac.

That's what we call blind prejudice. Thai researchers own clinical trials in the past few months state that Sinovac is around 90% protection against infection reported in Bangkokpost. Can't remember which article I read.

Edited by EricTh

Whilst things are improving and hopefully will continue to improve, almost none of these statistics can be considered good, and all border on a D-grade, rather than an A-grade.

...and we are still looking at a long time before 70% of the population is fully vaccinated at the rate of 10million jabs (5million vaccinated) per month, less the boosters and do-overs.

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Will done Thailand! 

27th...by number of administered 30 million shot....

This conveniently auto exclude any country with less than 15 million population...

Creative mathematics to support a fake news. Nothing else.

For example Thailand then ranks above Israel, bcos administered more shuts, yet 20% here get 1 shot at least.

Are Thai ppl more protected actually?

22 hours ago, Artisi said:

And the infection and deaths are? 

No idea, have you?

I do know that we now have a primary school converted into a field hospital in our small village, a similar one exists in a village about 5 kms away and in the other direction a friend of mine is currently self-isolating after a relative of his next-door neighbour came back from Bangkok and tested positive for Covid. My friends wife and several other women who had visited the neighbour are currently awaiting the results of their tests.

I have yet to meet anyone, Thai or foreigner, who have had a vaccination.

A local official in our area posted on Facebook that he had received an Astrazeneca shot and on being asked about availability has stated that they are only available for government officials.

12 minutes ago, nahkit said:

stated that they are only available for government officials.

They do  important work and certainly dont sit  round looking at their  phones  all  day, well done the govt, yet  again Thailand to the forefront, glad I am here, best in the world.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/11/2021 at 2:24 PM, HaoleBoy said:

Is AZ manufactured in Thailand allowed into EU now?

If so, then why do "students going abroad to study" need Pfizer?

students going abroad are from the rich families, so they are entitled to the best available vax.

Of course, if the government offers them, and for free, they will take it.

Never mind uneducated workers

On 8/10/2021 at 10:46 AM, Scrotobike said:

I doubt the authors know what/where Issan is. I live here and I know of no one who has had a vax. I am sure there are some....somewhere.....

My GF is from Sakhon Nakhon and just got her first jab. Second  jab planned August 27th together with all the habitants of the Ampeu  (Nakaee)!!