What they forgot to tell us about mouth cleaning.

ronjomtien

23 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I was warned off mouthwash many years ago by a dentist who wasn't afraid to tell the truth about them. Like you say, they kill off the friendly bacteria along with the bad.

I also read a few years that rinsing ones mouth straight after cleaning with toothpaste is another bad habit that almost everyone does. Most of us use fluorinated toothpaste and if we rinse straight after cleaning, we wash away the fluoride, which requires at least 15 minutes to absorb into the tooth enamel.

I stopped rinsing about 4 years ago and my teeth have never felt and looked cleaner than they are now.

I'd rather kill off some bad covid these days than worry about a few good bacteria which come back anyway. My teeth are great after my formula so what is the truth.

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

Just for clarity chaps, "H2O" is water, "H2O2" is hydrogen peroxide.

Use as a topical antiseptic - yup no problem.

As a mouthwash, ok but don't swallow it.

Be very careful with solutions over 3%.

https://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1015.pdf

Stupid me and I was chemistry 1 in high school. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ronjomtien said:

Stupid me and I was chemistry 1 in high school. 

I think we all knew what you meant in reality ????

I've got some dihydrogen-monoxide heating, it has to be watched carefully for correct infusion of C76H52O46 ???? 

15 hours ago, Guderian said:

Listerine, schmisterine! Buy yourself a bottle of 80% or 90% ABV vodka or rum, and enjoy a decent shot swilled around your mouth and gargled in your thoat. Unlike Listerine, it's fine to swallow it afterwards, and it's 100% guaranteed to kill any SARS-COV2 that it comes into contact with. Your doctor might not agree with me, but it leaves you feeling much happier than after using mouthwash, lol!

YES! This is my favorite mouthwash, occasionally changed/mixed with Jägermeister. Store in freezer for best effect.

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I stopped rinsing about 4 years ago and my teeth have never felt and looked cleaner than they are now.

Do you mean you don't rinse the toothpaste after you brush?!? Fluoride is great for your pearlies but you would NOT want to swallow it!

I've switched to fluoride-free dental floss & tooth powder. However, I still use Colgate Plax (w fluoride, unfortunately). I rinse after the floss & before the brush.

Interesting story about fluoride. Fluoride is a waste by-product of bauxite mining and aluminum smelting. Stuff is poison; only thing industry could use it for was rat poison in grain silos. Until they discovered it hardened tooth enamel (the rats?) & could sell it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Do you mean you don't rinse the toothpaste after you brush?!? Fluoride is great for your pearlies but you would NOT want to swallow it!

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. One reference to that effect is right here (see #3) and there are many other sites that say the same thing. I don't swallow the toothpaste, I simply spit it out.

17 hours ago, ronjomtien said:
18 hours ago, 473geo said:

Isn't a simple gargle with salted water supposed to be quite effective 

I don't think as strong as H20 but also better than nothing. Salt good for gums definitely.

Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2. A bleaching agent at best, rocket propellant at worst...

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I also read a few years that rinsing ones mouth straight after cleaning with toothpaste is another bad habit that almost everyone does. Most of us use fluorinated toothpaste and if we rinse straight after cleaning, we wash away the fluoride, which requires at least 15 minutes to absorb into the tooth enamel.

I only learned about this trick recently.

It is bloomin hard to stop the rinse that I have been doing for the previous 65 years!