What they forgot to tell us about mouth cleaning.

ronjomtien

53 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I only learned about this trick recently.

It is bloomin hard to stop the rinse that I have been doing for the previous 65 years!

Same for me, about 4 years. Dentists would never tell you this of course. What they want is a mouth full of bad teeth to go to work on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ignis said:

Always use the same for years.......... Dentist told me to use and always have done since  'C20 Chlorhexidine Antiseptic Mouth Wash'

I visited a dentist in Saudi Arabia around 25 years ago to have a broken tooth repaired. He said that the brown staining on my teeth was due to using mouthwash. I stopped using it and, sure enough, the staining faded away. I've never used it since.

Most dentists wouldn't tell you this of course. They want to trouser the money they make from cleaning services.

6 minutes ago, chilly07 said:
19 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It's very effective against a sore throat as is raw garlic. It's my standard cure.

6 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Problem is everything tastes of salt after especially if you use a salty toothpaste

Well, there is a very obvious answer to that one. ????

23 hours ago, 473geo said:

Never been a fan of mouthwash that kills the good as well as the bad, toothpaste is enough for me. Chewing gum swallowing regularly possibly as good for keeping the back of the throat cleansed.

Listerine mouth wash is quite effective in fighting Gingivitis and Periodontitis. Chewing gum cannot help in that area, nor do most other mouth washes. Toothpaste with fluoride is very good for the tooth enamel and the toothpaste itself helps to wash out particles from the gums and between the teeth.

23 hours ago, 473geo said:

Isn't a simple gargle with salted water supposed to be quite effective 

Salt water is very good for sore throats, but has no effect on most bacteria or viruses.

I have not researched on this subject, but there are some mouth washes which are very effective against viruses, too.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Haha 1

On 8/10/2021 at 10:41 AM, Moonlover said:

I was warned off mouthwash many years ago by a dentist who wasn't afraid to tell the truth about them. Like you say, they kill off the friendly bacteria along with the bad.

I also read a few years that rinsing ones mouth straight after cleaning with toothpaste is another bad habit that almost everyone does. Most of us use fluorinated toothpaste and if we rinse straight after cleaning, we wash away the fluoride, which requires at least 15 minutes to absorb into the tooth enamel.

I stopped rinsing about 4 years ago and my teeth have never felt and looked cleaner than they are now.

Yes, They look amazing.

• Haha 2

it's not about listerine original, but about cetylpyridinium chloride, which can be found in some mouthwash (also the cheapest, no brand name). CPC can be also found in  toothpastes, lozenges, throat sprays, breath sprays, and nasal sprays.

"To measure viral titers, they conducted a plaque assay after 30 seconds of mouthwash exposure. They tested different mouthwash formulations including cetylpyridinium chloride with flavor, cetylpyridinium chloride with flavor and herbal mix, and chlorhexidine digluconate with flavor. As positive and negative controls, they have used 70% ethanol and water, respectively.

Important observations

The plaque assay findings revealed that both formulations of cetylpyridinium chloride-containing mouthwash are capable of inhibiting SARS-CoV-2 by 99.99%. After 30 seconds of exposure to these formulations resulted in a viral titer value below the detection limit. In contrast, chlorhexidine digluconate-containing mouthwash showed significantly lower efficacy in inhibiting SARS-CoV-2.

Furthermore, both formulations of cetylpyridinium chloride-containing mouthwash exhibited high efficacy in reducing the titers of B.1.1.7, B.1.351, and P1 below the detection limit. However, no such reduction was observed for chlorhexidine digluconate-containing mouthwash."

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210809/Cetylpyridinium-chloride-containing-mouthwashes-shown-to-inhibit-SARS-CoV-2-in-oral-cavity.aspx

Edited by internationalism

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I visited a dentist in Saudi Arabia around 25 years ago to have a broken tooth repaired. He said that the brown staining on my teeth was due to using mouthwash. I stopped using it and, sure enough, the staining faded away. I've never used it since.

Most dentists wouldn't tell you this of course. They want to trouser the money they make from cleaning services.

Brown tooth discoloration from use of mouthwashes that effectively fight plaque and gingivitis is not harmful. It is reversible - and largely preventable - through options like brushing with a power toothbrush and tartar-control/whitening toothpaste, flossing, and visiting the dentist regularly.

Crest.com

just some random thing from crest.

I use Listerine I haven't noticed any Brown teeth.

My eyesight not so good though.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:19 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

Is this just for Pattaya? Are you finding many uncouth farang there with bad hygiene? 

Another Jomtien poster mentioned his 'pie-hole'

I am not in pattaya but always keep listerine handy... 

Thanks for your concern...

Uncouth Farang.

Isn't that just a given?