Pattaya Tourist Police...

Weho

Recently, I bought an aquarium tank, medium large size, for about 4,000 baht. The agreement was the guy would deliver and install it, which he did. The next day the aquarium light didn't work, he came back right away, and fixed it. The next day, it went out again, he came back right away, took the light fixture part back, said he would take it to the Bangkok factory, and bring it back "Saturday at 2 pm". I had no reason not to trust him. I waited home Saturday, no sign of the guy. I called him at 2:01 pm, and he said, "oh, no come today, I come tomorrow, Sunday, cause I'm still in Bangkok".

I said to him, "and you didn't think you should call me to tell me you wouldn't honor the agreement, you expect me to just wait around all day, every day for you to show up whenever you want"? Then he yelled something at me in Thai and started screaming. Oh dear, I must have pissed him off. I called him back, Saturday night around 8 pm, and told him if he didn't get it to me within an hour, I would call the "TOURIST POLICE", who would pay him a visit.

Now I had no idea what the tourist police are, nor what they really did. I had only seen a sign. In any event, I could tell right away he didn't want anything to do with the dreaded tourist police, and he brought the thing back, fixed, TEN MINUTES LATER.

1699 is the phone number for the Tourist Police... I hope I never have to use them, but it sure paid off MENTIONING them.

So if I'm ever cheated, like charged 16 baht for some rice I didn't order, (which probably costs the restaurant about 1/3 of one single baht, or less), I won't hesitate to bring up the brutal, dreaded and very secretive TOURIST POLICE. It works wonders... and you don't even have to call them... just mention them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

said he would take it to the Bangkok factory, and bring it back "Saturday at 2 pm". I had no reason not to trust him. I waited home Saturday, no sign of the guy. I called him at 2:01 pm, and he said, "oh, no come today, I come tomorrow, Sunday, cause I'm still in Bangkok".

I said to him, "and you didn't think you should call me to tell me you wouldn't honor the agreement, you expect me to just wait around all day, every day for you to show up whenever you want"?

Hey Weho, I don't mean to be rude but just from reading your post I think you haven't been here that long.Calling him 1 minute after the agreed time? If he turned up an hour later he would have been early :o Chill...........................................

Mate, you will never get anyone here call you to tell you they will be late, or not coming at all, just not in their culture and certainly not worth the price of a phone call. They coudn't care less if you wait all day. They would turn up a week later and still expect a tip!!!!! Just the way it is!!!

Just read your previous 16 baht rice thread, 'I'm naturally horrified' that in this case you never asked for compensation due to this fella wasting your time.

Just the principle!!!

Edited by sungod

said he would take it to the Bangkok factory, and bring it back "Saturday at 2 pm". I had no reason not to trust him. I waited home Saturday, no sign of the guy. I called him at 2:01 pm, and he said, "oh, no come today, I come tomorrow, Sunday, cause I'm still in Bangkok".

I said to him, "and you didn't think you should call me to tell me you wouldn't honor the agreement, you expect me to just wait around all day, every day for you to show up whenever you want"?

Hey Weho, I don't mean to be rude but just from reading your post I think you haven't been here that long.Calling him 1 minute after the agreed time? If he turned up an hour later he would have been early :o Chill...........................................

Mate, you will never get anyone here call you to tell you they will be late, or not coming at all, just not in their culture and certainly not worth the price of a phone call. They coudn't care less if you wait all day. They would turn up a week later and still expect a tip!!!!! Just the way it is!!!

That may be the way it is with you, and with others with low standards, but if someone tells me "by 2 pm", I can assure you, they will get a call from me by 2:01 pm, and they will usually get the issue resolved within minutes. Oh well....

Hey, I have my own poll now... I'm so honored! Really, I take that as a compliment.

weho has to be a troll, nobody could be as stupid as this. What a nob head.

You're my favorite kind of person... one has has nothing to say, that no one wants to respond to/about, and your sole choice is do name calling and insults.

If I'm so horrible, why on earth would someone of your high stature bother to take the time to write about me, and give me the attention I crave so much? You've fallen right into my little trap. Oh dear. I'll bet you're read every post to/from/by/about me. you can't admit it, but you find me fascinating. Now go and hurl some more insults... I took a look at some of your other postings, which rarely, if ever, illicit any response from anyone. I'd rather be a fascinating troll, than dull. Dull as dishwater, as they say. Being dull should be a crime. And you're guilty as charged.

Do many tourists buy aquariums?

Sure they do... there's nothing like snuggling up with a goldfish... they are not as "high maintenance" as some of the local hookers many of you patronize/marry.

That may be the way it is with you, and with others with low standards, but if someone tells me "by 2 pm", I can assure you, they will get a call from me by 2:01 pm, and they will usually get the issue resolved within minutes. Oh well....

Hey, I have my own poll now... I'm so honored! Really, I take that as a compliment.

Not disputing your right to be fastidious about things, but if you have the same luck that I do, you'll be making a lot of calls.

I know a bloke just like you, runs by the clock and expect everything to work as clockwork...

Came here about a year ago, bought expensive home, and ended up being a nervous wreck, contemplating wetter just to take his loss and leave Thailand never to return.

If you expect everything to work as clockwork and people/companies to be on the minute, you're in for a bad experience :o

I know a bloke just like you, runs by the clock and expect everything to work as clockwork...

Came here about a year ago, bought expensive home, and ended up being a nervous wreck, contemplating wetter just to take his loss and leave Thailand never to return.

If you expect everything to work as clockwork and people/companies to be on the minute, you're in for a bad experience :o

I don't expect EVERYTHING to go like clockwork here, but here's a typical conversation I would have here, and it's the way I confirmed it with the Aquarium Guy ("A.G.")

Weho: what time can you deliver the fixed light?

AG: 2 pm on Saturday

Weho: 2 pm Saturday, sure sure?

AG: Yes, no problem.

Weho: 2 pm, not 3 pm on Saturday, you no late? You come before 2 pm on Saturday?

AG: Sure sure, i come before 2 pm Saturday, sure, sure, no problem.

Weho: OK, i wait for you Saturday by 2 pm. If you no here by 2 pm, I call you on mobile.

AG: OK, no problem, 2 pm Saturday.

Weho: I will call you at 2:01 if you no come.

AG: OK, no problem, sure sure.

Weho: OK, then I'll see you by 2 pm Saturday. Not sunday, not monday, not next month, this Saturday by 2 PM. I wait for you.

AG: OK, bye bye, thank you, merry christmas, bye bye, thank you.

Weho: haouhgh???

AG: nevermind, 2 pm Saturday.

Weho: ok.

NOTE: What i really should do, is have them sign a paper, and give them only a deposit, and the signed papers says for every hour they are late, I get to deduct 100 baht. Mai pen rai.

I don't expect EVERYTHING to go like clockwork here, but here's a typical conversation I would have here, and it's the way I confirmed it with the Aquarium Guy ("A.G.")

Weho: what time can you deliver the fixed light?

AG: 2 pm on Saturday

Weho: 2 pm Saturday, sure sure?

AG: Yes, no problem.

Weho: 2 pm, not 3 pm on Saturday, you no late? You come before 2 pm on Saturday?

AG: Sure sure, i come before 2 pm Saturday, sure, sure, no problem.

Weho: OK, i wait for you Saturday by 2 pm. If you no here by 2 pm, I call you on mobile.

AG: OK, no problem, 2 pm Saturday.

Weho: I will call you at 2:01 if you no come.

AG: OK, no problem, sure sure.

Weho: OK, then I'll see you by 2 pm Saturday. Not sunday, not monday, not next month, this Saturday by 2 PM. I wait for you.

AG: OK, bye bye, thank you, merry christmas, bye bye, thank you.

Weho: haouhgh???

AG: nevermind, 2 pm Saturday.

Weho: ok.

NOTE: What i really should do, is have them sign a paper, and give them only a deposit, and the signed papers says for every hour they are late, I get to deduct 100 baht. Mai pen rai.

Weho, hello (knock knock) THIS IS THAILAND are you sure you are living in the right country! If you carry on living here with this attitude you will give yourself a nervous breakdown or something!

No signs on escalators, conned on to the wrong bus, overcharged 16 baht at a restaurant, workmen not turning up on time, all valid points I am sure but really very normal in Thailand I am afraid; if you want to live here happy and healthy be vigilant and get used to it is my advice!

I often hear excuses like, "oh, it's a Thai thing for them to be late"... It may be a Thai thing to just show up whenever you want, but if they want to do business with me, it has to be a "Weho thing"...

Actually, I find delivery from major stores (tesco, home pro, homeworks, carrefour, etc.), to be EXTREAMLY prompt and reliable... never late, always indicated on the receipt... never had a problem with any of those for delivery times.

It's just the small stores, that unfortunately will get run out of business, or absorbed into big box stores one day.

Same thing here happens all over the world... poor service = they close down, big box store moves in, everyone bitches that the big box places drive the small ones out. i believe some of the small ones should be driven out.

On another positive note, sometimes I am amazed at how quickly some things can get fixed/resolved here, often much faster than in the home country. Like if i bought a refrigerizer in my country, they would say, "we'll deliver it in ten days, on Tuesday between 8 am and 6 pm, wait home all day for us". But here, it's almost always "we'll deliver it tomorrow by 12 noon", and they have never screwed up with me on a delivery time.

It can be a pain when they nod and smile, nod and smile, then they don't do as they promised/said, but it also happens in other countries, Spain springs to mind 'Asta Manyarna" (sic) they run on different batteries to us.

You need to chill out a bit more - you fretting over stuff like this in LOS - you'll give yourself and ulcer.

PS. I think the A.G. throwing in the 'Merry Christmas parting' shot of your telephone was trying to tell you something about chilling out as well...

Dear Weho,

I'm concerned here, please don't forget to feed the fish on time, check the filter, water quality etc regularly.

I would advise to put a timer on the aquarium light so that you don't have to waste precious electricity.

And thank you for all the very interesting information you are providing to this forum.

Keep it coming.

We do enjoy a good laugh ever so often.

cheers

onzestan

Weho are you a virgo by any chance ,

mate this is thailand things dont happen on time ,,

be careful or you will end up being alienated by the shop keepers,

and talk about over the top ,there is no need to be so aggresive over something so petty i think you are in for a very stressful time here in the los :o

Weho - the guy offered to go to Krung Thep, just to get your light fixed?

You don't know what a pearl you have found. This guy is worth cultivating and giving additional tips to - just to keep him interested in your aquarium.

Do not lose him!

Weho - the guy offered to go to Krung Thep, just to get your light fixed?

You don't know what a pearl you have found. This guy is worth cultivating and giving additional tips to - just to keep him interested in your aquarium.

Do not lose him!

No, I think he CLAIMED he was going to Bangkok was because he probably goes there once a week, and takes all the broken aquarium lights to be fixed at one time. But then again, I don't think he really went at all. Seems to be working just fine now.

And to answer an earlier response: what annoys me more than ANYTHING in LOS, even more than being outright LIED to, is when you tell them something, and they respond back with an inappropriate laugh. Example:

weho: hello mister store manager. this is the forth time I've had to return this SOKEN amplifier, and I'm starting to get really upset and annoyed...

manager: (laughs)

weho: why are you laughing, i just told you i've had to come here four times, and you think that's funny? is that really funny? is that the appropriate time to laugh

manager: so sorry, but it's a Thai thing

weho: a weho thing is for me to pay for a WORKING amplifier... i want my money back.

manager: sorry, no can do.

weho: no can do?

manager: (laughs loudly)

weho: you're laughing again. is that really funny... when someone asks for their money back, your reaction is to laugh?

manager: so sorry, but it's a Thai thing

Sure they do... there's nothing like snuggling up with a goldfish... they are not as "high maintenance" as some of the local hookers many of you patronize/marry.

This is a cheap shot. Somebody with your apparant quest for perfection should know better.

Do many tourists buy aquariums?

What an idiotic comment. :o

Do you carry on this way when you go to bars etc?

I am getting the feeling that if you checked somebody's IP you would find they are FAR FAR from Thailand :o

Or perhaps someone who has lived amongst us before, with a different name, perhaps invited to go on an extended holiday ?

OK ... Let us take the original post at face value and leave out the troll factor.

"I'm gonna call the tourist police" --- whine

"ok Call them!"

ring ring ..

"Tourist police may I help you?"

"yes .. the guy said he'd be here at 2 ... it's 202 and he says he'll be here tmw!"

"Oh! Good for you he'll be there tmw!. Bye!"

next day ... ring ring "Tourist police may I help you?"

" The guy didn't call and he's not here! He doesn't answer his phone!" --- whine

"Oh ... well it is still today. Give him a chance"

--- time passes. Wed arrives ....

ring ring "Tourist police, may I help you?"

"The guy still won't answer my calls and hasn't been by!!" --- whine

"OK ... give us his number and we'll call and see what we can do to help you! and then call you back!"

time passes .... Fri arrives

Ring Ring .... "hello tourist police may I help you?"

"Yes .. 2 days have passed and you didn't call me back!"

"oh, sorry sir. do you know who you spoke to before? I will try and reach him and find out where we are on this matter"

<two possible answers here both leading to the same response ... yes he knows ... time passes ... on Monday when he calls back he finds out that the TP officer in question is on vacation ... but the bright aspiring new officer has looked into this and the reply is as follows>

"We have looked into this matter and the vendor says he completed all his obligations to you ... if you have proof he has not then please go to the regular police department and file a complaint"

All of that is the GOOD side of what may happen ..... threaten the wrong guy with the cops and the consequences could be dire :o

OK ... Let us take the original post at face value and leave out the troll factor.

"I'm gonna call the tourist police" --- whine

"ok Call them!"

ring ring ..

"Tourist police may I help you?"

"yes .. the guy said he'd be here at 2 ... it's 202 and he says he'll be here tmw!"

"Oh! Good for you he'll be there tmw!. Bye!"

next day ... ring ring "Tourist police may I help you?"

" The guy didn't call and he's not here! He doesn't answer his phone!" --- whine

"Oh ... well it is still today. Give him a chance"

--- time passes. Wed arrives ....

ring ring "Tourist police, may I help you?"

"The guy still won't answer my calls and hasn't been by!!" --- whine

"OK ... give us his number and we'll call and see what we can do to help you! and then call you back!"

time passes .... Fri arrives

Ring Ring .... "hello tourist police may I help you?"

"Yes .. 2 days have passed and you didn't call me back!"

"oh, sorry sir. do you know who you spoke to before? I will try and reach him and find out where we are on this matter"

<two possible answers here both leading to the same response ... yes he knows ... time passes ... on Monday when he calls back he finds out that the TP officer in question is on vacation ... but the bright aspiring new officer has looked into this and the reply is as follows>

"We have looked into this matter and the vendor says he completed all his obligations to you ... if you have proof he has not then please go to the regular police department and file a complaint"

All of that is the GOOD side of what may happen ..... threaten the wrong guy with the cops and the consequences could be dire :o

How about the proof is: the aquarium guy picked up the broken light fixture from me, as witnessed by me, a maid, a security guard, and a friend, AND he didn't return it when promised. That could be considered THEFT, genius.

Edited by Weho

ahhhh the story gets added to ......

but in that case it would proceed the same ... maybe shortened with ... go by the police station and file a complaint a bit sooner.

At the police station ... after they finished having a good laugh ... they'd contact the guy ... he'd say "it's not ready yet ... I'll get it back to him as soon as it is repaired. Sorry but I cannot control the place in BKK where I took it to be fixed! If he'd like to rent a new lamp I will be happy to rent one to him!"

Then in Thai .... "can you imagine ? this guy calls me 1 minute after the thought I said I'd be there and started ranting at me!" eliciting another ruond of giggles from the police :o

How about the proof is: the aquarium guy picked up the broken light fixture from me, as witnessed by me, a maid, a security guard, and a friend, AND he didn't return it when promised. That could be considered THEFT, genius.

So, you earned your JD from which prestigious university? :o