Phuket Sandbox - where to find rules?

radjag

I need to return to Thailand by the end of September. I did ASQ in Pattaya (where I have a home) last year, then travelled again in March. This time I would prefer the relative freedom of the Sandbox for the mandatory 2 weeks. I am double vaccinated and am hoping (not confident) that I might even be able to get a booster before I travel.

I have read that it is mandatory to arrive Phuket via direct International flight (from Singapore for example) - is that true? My current ticket is to BKK.

I have also read that, currently, most domestic flights are suspended and it is not easy to fly from Phuket to BKK (and then Limo down to Pattaya at the end of the 2 weeks. Is that the case?

Where can I go to check the rules online?

I’m due at the end of Aug / beginning of Sept.... 

But, I’m not booking anything I have to pay for and potentially loose just yet, such as PCR tests, I can book refundable accommodation on Agoda. 

The PCR tests are a PITA - we have to pay in advance and if the Sandbox program gets cancelled thats just lost money (8000 Baht I think). 

A lot is changing at ht moment, official plans change at the drop of a hat. 

There was information that the Sandbox would closed of cases in Phuket exceeded 100 new cases per day, it's already exceeded that - no announcements of closure yet though. 

Domestic flights have stopped, at least until the 16th after which time that will be readdressed, but given the explosion of cases I would suspect the ban continues. 

There is also a ban of travel on to the island of Phuket, but private vehicles and busses etc can leave. 

There is also a Nok Air flight to Utapao (not sure how often). 

This facebook group has some good info: https://www.facebook.com/groups/388875605677294

• Like 2

they will not close the sandbox  you know thaï  hate to losing face 

and they know  the infection not come from sandbox 

i will come to in october 

Edited by thai006
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, kimjohansen said:

I am in Phuket now via the Sandbox process.  You need to apply for a certificate of entry for the Phuket Sandbox model through a Thai Embassy or approved consulate (USA - LA, NYC, Chicago or Washington).  The process takes 2 - 3 weeks if you already have a visa and entry stamp.  Add an additional week if you need a visa.  Basically you need the following to apply for the COE:  current passport with at least 6 months validity, entry Visa, $100,000 USD Covid-19 travel insurance policy (issued online by a approved Thai insurance company, links on the embassy websites), vaccination certificate with approved vaccines, hotel booking direct with SHA + hotel in Phuket (you cannot book with any travel website like Agoda.  It has to be direct with the hotel as they have to issue you a certificate with registration number needed for the COE application), direct flight into Phuket from outside Thailand (you cannot transit through Bangkok), fully paid invoice from the SHA + approved hotel for 14 days, separate fully pre-paid invoice from the hotel for three Covid PCR tests, and confirmed roundtrip airport/hotel transportation arranged by the hotel.  Once you get your COE, you have to obtain an RT-PCR test not more than 72 hours before your flight departure time.  The entire COE process is done online unless you need to send your passport into a consulate for a visa.  Make sure all documentation is 100% correct as it is highly scrutinized during the application process, at the airport and upon arrival in Phuket.  One little mistake and you might get rejected at any of the steps. Good luck !!  https://www.thaicgny.com/entering-thailand/

Some of the things you mention are not correct.

In my case CoE process took 3 days, passport with 6 months validity will depend on country of origin, in stead of visa also visa exempt entry is possible (if qualified), you can book with Agoda and booking.com etc., PCR tests can now be booked via (I think) PSAS,

• Like 2

On 8/12/2021 at 7:41 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I’m due at the end of Aug / beginning of Sept.... 

But, I’m not booking anything I have to pay for and potentially loose just yet, such as PCR tests, I can book refundable accommodation on Agoda. 

The PCR tests are a PITA - we have to pay in advance and if the Sandbox program gets cancelled thats just lost money (8000 Baht I think). 

A lot is changing at ht moment, official plans change at the drop of a hat. 

There was information that the Sandbox would closed of cases in Phuket exceeded 100 new cases per day, it's already exceeded that - no announcements of closure yet though. 

According to the thailandpsas website they PCR tests are refundable, if your COE gets rejected but also other reasons minus '5% refund fee'. The hotel reservations can still be fully flexible even when prepaid if you book the correct rate. If you need to cancel for any reason you still get the original booking conditions (regardless of prepaying). Just mail the hotels and ask them to confirm it via email. That said, I'd recommend paying with a creditcard just in case.

18 hours ago, stevenl said:

Some of the things you mention are not correct.

In my case CoE process took 3 days, passport with 6 months validity will depend on country of origin, in stead of visa also visa exempt entry is possible (if qualified), you can book with Agoda and booking.com etc., PCR tests can now be booked via (I think) PSAS,

My information is based on my experience applying through the USA LA consulate.  I initially applied using an Agoda booking using the link on the Consulate website.  It was rejected by both the hotel and the consulate.  The hotel said I had to book directly with them and they cancelled my Agoda booking.  The LA consulate sent me their notification from their website that Agoda direct bookings are not accepted.  You must submit a 14 prepaid invoice from the hotel and a SHA + certificate with registration number.  I am sure there will be different experiences and time frames for processing a COE for different consulates around the world.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kimjohansen said:

My information is based on my experience applying through the USA LA consulate.  I initially applied using an Agoda booking using the link on the Consulate website.  It was rejected by both the hotel and the consulate.  The hotel said I had to book directly with them and they cancelled my Agoda booking.  The LA consulate sent me their notification from their website that Agoda direct bookings are not accepted.  You must submit a 14 prepaid invoice from the hotel and a SHA + certificate with registration number.  I am sure there will be different experiences and time frames for processing a COE for different consulates around the world.

You should have told Agoda and you would have received your Sha+code. Your statement that booking for sandbox via Agoda is not possible is simply not true.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You should have told Agoda and you would have received your Sha+code. Your statement that booking for sandbox via Agoda is not possible is simply not true.

I never said bookings via Agoda is "not possible".  I said my Agoda booking through the LA consulate was rejected by both the consulate and hotel and I had to book directly with the hotel.  I am sure different consulates around the world interpret the rules differently.  Some may accept Agoda bookings and some like LA may reject them.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, kimjohansen said:

The LA consulate sent me their notification from their website that Agoda direct bookings are not accepted.

I booked with Agoda and got SHA PLUS certificate directly from hotel, even when I didn't pay booking in advance and I can cancel my booking at any moment.

No problems with Thai consulate in Madrid. 

Edited by Espanol
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 8:04 AM, kimjohansen said:

You can book via Agoda (or any other platform) but the hotel has to be fully paid by them and only then the hotel will issue you the SHA+ certificate.

The issue is that some booking platforms don't pay the hotel in full straight away and therefore the hotel won't issue you the certificate.

• Like 1

I am also considering to come back to Thailand via the Phuket sandbox. I actually leave in Phuket.

I am French but currently in Vietnam for work. 

I got 1 shot of Astra Zeneca through registration of my company. 1 got a certificate of vaccination for that shot but it's all in Vietnamese.

Later on, I got the opportunity to register on French vaccination campaing and got 1 shot of Moderna beginning of August. They told me they will give a international vaccination certificate but only after i get the 2nd shot of Moderna (which is scheduled for next week).

Do you know is there are some special requirements regarding the vaccine certificate to enter via the Sandbox?

I know for example that to enter Vietnam, you vaccine certificate need to be legalised by the Vietnamese Embassy in the country you depart.

Thanks

16 hours ago, jphasia said:

I am also considering to come back to Thailand via the Phuket sandbox. I actually leave in Phuket.

I am French but currently in Vietnam for work. 

I got 1 shot of Astra Zeneca through registration of my company. 1 got a certificate of vaccination for that shot but it's all in Vietnamese.

Later on, I got the opportunity to register on French vaccination campaing and got 1 shot of Moderna beginning of August. They told me they will give a international vaccination certificate but only after i get the 2nd shot of Moderna (which is scheduled for next week).

Do you know is there are some special requirements regarding the vaccine certificate to enter via the Sandbox?

I know for example that to enter Vietnam, you vaccine certificate need to be legalised by the Vietnamese Embassy in the country you depart.

Thanks

It depends on the Thai embassy in the country where you apply for the COE what they accept the type of vaccination certificates.

For example the Thai embassy in the Netherlands accept the Dutch vaccination booklet which can be in Dutch but in general they should accept a English certificate  as long it is recognized in the country of COE application.

Therefore you should ask the embassy what they accept for prove.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, merijn said:

It depends on the Thai embassy in the country where you apply for the COE what they accept the type of vaccination certificates.

For example the Thai embassy in the Netherlands accept the Dutch vaccination booklet which can be in Dutch but in general they should accept a English certificate  as long it is recognized in the country of COE application.

All European vaccination certificates are both in native language and English. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, merijn said:

Thanks.

Actually, I have another question regarding Phuket sandbox.

As mentioned earlier, I am French citizen, leave in Thailand but been relocated in Vietnam for work last year in October.

I need now to reach Phuket (where I have a house and family). Now my question is more about the entry process.

I have already read a lot on internet and it look like I will fit all the requirements:

- immigration: my last Thai visa (non O based on Thai child) expired while i was here and won't be able to apply for a new one as the Thai consulate here is closed due to full lockdown. However, I have been answered in this forum already that it won't be an issue to enter on visa exempt and convert it while in Thailand.

- insurance: I have a valid insurance from Aetna Thailand with a full coverage up to 5 millions THB that have been renewed for the last 20 years. Aetna provided it to me also a separate certificate for the Covid coverage ( it work when I came to Vietnam last year).

- vaccinations: I am fully vaccinated (actually 3 shots 1 AZ and 2 moderna) and it will be more than 14 days from planned travel dates.

- Flights: I checked and the most convenient to reach Phuket from Saigon (avoiding Bangkok) is through Singapore with Singapore Airlines. They have flights available which a convenient (1 and half hour transit in Singapore)

- Sha+ hotel in Phuket booking should not be a problem. There are plenth available online even close to my house.

Now my question is related to the process timeline: 

I understand that i need to apply for COE which can be done online. What else in needed (of course PCR test prior to flight)?

How long this process can take in average?

My question is related because for me to leave Vietnam and be able to return later, i need to follow a process here which will give me a "permission to come back" before leaving. This process will avoid me to restart a full process off autorization to enter Vietnam from Thailand (having an expert status, work permit and resident card). This process can take up to 8 weeks. So my expecting return date to Thailand won't be before November. 

Depend on the process duration for entry approval in Thailand, I might wait to finalise my approval from the Vietnamese authorities before starting the sandbox process.

Singapore airlines offers tickets with free booking dates change which is good.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, jphasia said:

Actually, I have another question regarding Phuket sandbox.

As mentioned earlier, I am French citizen, leave in Thailand but been relocated in Vietnam for work last year in October.

I need now to reach Phuket (where I have a house and family). Now my question is more about the entry process.

I have already read a lot on internet and it look like I will fit all the requirements:

- immigration: my last Thai visa (non O based on Thai child) expired while i was here and won't be able to apply for a new one as the Thai consulate here is closed due to full lockdown. However, I have been answered in this forum already that it won't be an issue to enter on visa exempt and convert it while in Thailand.

- insurance: I have a valid insurance from Aetna Thailand with a full coverage up to 5 millions THB that have been renewed for the last 20 years. Aetna provided it to me also a separate certificate for the Covid coverage ( it work when I came to Vietnam last year).

- vaccinations: I am fully vaccinated (actually 3 shots 1 AZ and 2 moderna) and it will be more than 14 days from planned travel dates.

- Flights: I checked and the most convenient to reach Phuket from Saigon (avoiding Bangkok) is through Singapore with Singapore Airlines. They have flights available which a convenient (1 and half hour transit in Singapore)

- Sha+ hotel in Phuket booking should not be a problem. There are plenth available online even close to my house.

Now my question is related to the process timeline: 

I understand that i need to apply for COE which can be done online. What else in needed (of course PCR test prior to flight)?

How long this process can take in average?

My question is related because for me to leave Vietnam and be able to return later, i need to follow a process here which will give me a "permission to come back" before leaving. This process will avoid me to restart a full process off autorization to enter Vietnam from Thailand (having an expert status, work permit and resident card). This process can take up to 8 weeks. So my expecting return date to Thailand won't be before November. 

Depend on the process duration for entry approval in Thailand, I might wait to finalise my approval from the Vietnamese authorities before starting the sandbox process.

Singapore airlines offers tickets with free booking dates change which is good.

Thank you.

The whole CoE process will take around 3 weeks maximum.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The whole CoE process will take around 3 weeks maximum.

Thanks. Here in Vietnam is getting worse right. Lockdown is not like in Thailand. Here you are not allowed to go out of your house / apartment. Food and medicine is distributed by the military at your door. So I might skip the Vietnamese process to be allowed to come back and proceed for the sandbox without delay. Even if the situation is not getting better in Thailand, at least i can stay with my family...

• Sad 1

I am now in France, but hoping to get back to my home in Chiangmai in September, and considering the Phuket Sandbox.  Can anyone tell me what my options would be for traveling on to Chiangmai from Phuket, and would it involve quarantining at home when I got there? Are there, for example, trains running from Bangkok to Chiangmai?

Also, are there any serious disadvantages to the Phuket Sandbox versus a quarantine hotel elsewhere?

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

After you have registered for your CoE (Stage 1) you will receive a Pre-authorisation e-mail with a 6 digit reference code.

One you have your hotel and travel confirmations you need to submit those. 

Your hotel will provide you with a SHABA certificate.

You use the reference code from your SHABA certificate to book your covid-19 tests with PSAS arrival, day 6 and day 12 Covid-19 CPR tests <https://www.thailandpsas.com>

In the CoE application (stage 2) You input submit Codes from the SHABA hotel certificate as proof of SHA Plus accommodation. 

In the CoE application (stage 2) You upload your PSAS Covid-19 booking receipt along with your CoE application and all other documents (flights).

IF you have all the documents the process is quick, the slowest part of the process for me was waiting for the hotels to send the SHABA certification. 

After the initial (Stage 1) application, submission of documents needs to be carried out within 14 days. 

A lot of people apply anywhere from 4 weeks to 2 weeks in advance. While some apply 2 months in advance and others less than a week in advance. 

Some Embassies are more responsive than others. 

Two weeks in advance is fine IMO (I have gone through the CoE process 3 times, 2 for ASQ and 1 for Sandbox).

Thanks a lot. Very detailed and clear. 

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

After you have registered for your CoE (Stage 1) you will receive a Pre-authorisation e-mail with a 6 digit reference code.

One you have your hotel and travel confirmations you need to submit those. 

Your hotel will provide you with a SHABA certificate.

You use the reference code from your SHABA certificate to book your covid-19 tests with PSAS arrival, day 6 and day 12 Covid-19 CPR tests <https://www.thailandpsas.com>

In the CoE application (stage 2) You input submit Codes from the SHABA hotel certificate as proof of SHA Plus accommodation. 

In the CoE application (stage 2) You upload your PSAS Covid-19 booking receipt along with your CoE application and all other documents (flights).

IF you have all the documents the process is quick, the slowest part of the process for me was waiting for the hotels to send the SHABA certification. 

After the initial (Stage 1) application, submission of documents needs to be carried out within 14 days. 

A lot of people apply anywhere from 4 weeks to 2 weeks in advance. While some apply 2 months in advance and others less than a week in advance. 

Some Embassies are more responsive than others. 

Two weeks in advance is fine IMO (I have gone through the CoE process 3 times, 2 for ASQ and 1 for Sandbox).

From the approval of phase 1, you only have a maximum of 15 days to provide all the documentation and request phase 2.

Phase 2 can only be requested a maximum of 30 days before ARRIVAL in Thailand (not departure from origin).

In the case of Spain, the embassy grants authorization in just a few hours, if everything is OK.

Keep in mind that if there is an error (in my case, one of the insurance pages was not translated into English) they will not answer you to notify you and, simply, days will pass without getting a response. In that case you can email the embassy and ask.

My recommendation would be to start the whole process 30 to 40 days before arrival in Thailand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phills2k1 said:

Is it 100% that you can't transit through BKK?

I want to take a finnair flight but they don't go to Phuket. Can I not fly to BKK and then hop on a local flight?

The only way would be if the plane lands in BKK and continues to HKT without you leaving the plane.

Other options are not possible.