Working for a foreign employer in Thailand

Hi,

I'm currently contracting (IT) for a company in the UK using my own limited company. I tend to pay myself dividends as it's more tax efficient.

My wife is Thai and we have for many years talked about moving to LOS and this might now be possible given I work fully remotely anyway and the client is interested in a long term play, either on a contract or permanent basis.

Here comes my question: what are my options, shall I set up a ltd cny in Thailand in my wife's name as main shareholder and pay ourselves dividends, or use an umbrella cny? I would be based in Thailand more than 183 days per year so domiciled there.

Thank you

Best wishes

I have worked for many years in Thailand for a foreign firm.

Use a PEO.

It's legal and easy. Pay tax, pay social security (and receive card and vaccine rights), and get work permit etc sorted by the PEO. 

Couldn't be easier.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JRG23 said:

I have worked for many years in Thailand for a foreign firm.

Use a PEO.

It's legal and easy. Pay tax, pay social security (and receive card and vaccine rights), and get work permit etc sorted by the PEO. 

Couldn't be easier.

Can you please recommend a PEO? And do they charge much?

1 hour ago, tezzaaa said:

Can you please recommend a PEO? And do they charge much?

Which would give you a work permit (WP), renew the WP every year for several years, and ensure your annual Thai tax returns are submitted and cleared and you have the basic requirements to apply for Thai PR (in simple words a visa for life, cancels only on your death).

Many here will say PR is too expensive (and it's not cheap), and has very little benefit.

But if your plan is to stay in Thailand forever the benefits:

- Once the Certificate of Residence (PR) book is issued you never need to visit Immigration (except for an exit/re-entry stamp as needed - which is a simple mechanical process, no questions asked, no interview, no update of your visa etc).

- No annual renewal, no complications as rules/regulations change, no 800,000 Baht or whatever in the bank etc.

- I've held Thai PR for 23 years, the biggest benefit for me (any many others will say the same), a 99.9% guarantee that I will never (because of visa complications/changes) be separated from my wonderful Thai family. 

Ultimately of course a personal decision.

Good luck...

On 8/12/2021 at 9:16 PM, tezzaaa said:

Here comes my question: what are my options, shall I set up a ltd cny in Thailand in my wife's name as main shareholder and pay ourselves dividends, or use an umbrella cny? I would be based in Thailand more than 183 days per year so domiciled there.

You would still need some Thai employees for a work permit. If it's a partnership limited with your wide you only need two, and your wife can be on of them, and 1 million baht in registered capital; if it's a normal company limited with 3 shareholders you need 4 Thai employees, and 2 million baht in registered shareholder capital.

For taxation income tax might be better than paying company tax and dividend tax for the first 2 million baht, i.e. up to 25 percent income tax with the full rate only from 1,000,001 baht to 2,000,000 baht. Salary is deducted as expense from the company's profit.

Company tax is 20 percent - 30 percent if the company has a lot of profit - and dividend tax is 10 percent, so "salary" paid out as dividend will be "income taxed" by 28 percent (i.e. 100 minus 20% = 80 minus 10% = 72).

Take 2 million baht income as example:

As work income (wife has own income), the tax is 325,000 baht.

As dividend, the company tax and withholding tax together are 560,000 baht.

It will be worth having your wife as employed - you need two in the company - and let her have an income, the first 160,000 baht are tax exempt, and the tax rates begin with 5 percent. You can find a Thai income tax calculator HERE.

Have you considered to keep your UK limited company?

Check with the Double Taxation Agreement between UK and Thailand about dividend taxes in UK, it would probably be free from income tax in Thailand, if already taxed in UK. 

You are allowed to live from your savings. Foreign income is only income taxable in Thailand if the foreign income is transferred into Thailand during the same year as it's earned, the following year it's considered savings, and savings are free from income tax; i.e. if you UK company pays it's annual dividend in December, and you transfer the money in January the following year, it's tax free savings...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, khunPer said:

You would still need some Thai employees for a work permit. If it's a partnership limited with your wide you only need two, and your wife can be on of them, and 1 million baht in registered capital; if it's a normal company limited with 3 shareholders you need 4 Thai employees, and 2 million baht in registered shareholder capital.

For taxation income tax might be better than paying company tax and dividend tax for the first 2 million baht, i.e. up to 25 percent income tax with the full rate only from 1,000,001 baht to 2,000,000 baht. Salary is deducted as expense from the company's profit.

Company tax is 20 percent - 30 percent if the company has a lot of profit - and dividend tax is 10 percent, so "salary" paid out as dividend will be "income taxed" by 28 percent (i.e. 100 minus 20% = 80 minus 10% = 72).

Take 2 million baht income as example:

As work income (wife has own income), the tax is 325,000 baht.

As dividend, the company tax and withholding tax together are 560,000 baht.

It will be worth having your wife as employed - you need two in the company - and let her have an income, the first 160,000 baht are tax exempt, and the tax rates begin with 5 percent. You can find a Thai income tax calculator HERE.

Have you considered to keep your UK limited company?

Check with the Double Taxation Agreement between UK and Thailand about dividend taxes in UK, it would probably be free from income tax in Thailand, if already taxed in UK. 

You are allowed to live from your savings. Foreign income is only income taxable in Thailand if the foreign income is transferred into Thailand during the same year as it's earned, the following year it's considered savings, and savings are free from income tax; i.e. if you UK company pays it's annual dividend in December, and you transfer the money in January the following year, it's tax free savings...????

Many thanks for this detailed answers ????

• Thanks 1